Confirmed with Link: CBJ acquire Mathieu Olivier from Nashville for a 2022 4th

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well apparently, and at the risk of stating the obvious... with the team he has now, Jarmo thinks this dude > that 4th, right?

Yes I'm expressing a dissenting opinion from Jarmo's opinion.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yes I'm expressing a dissenting opinion from Jarmo's opinion.

Yeah I get that, I understand I was stating the obvious. I just think it's funny how many folks are chafing at this 4th rounder when Jarmo & pro scouts obviously feel differently.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah I get that, I understand I was stating the obvious. I just think it's funny how many folks are chafing at this 4th rounder when Jarmo & pro scouts obviously feel differently.

Jarmo does a lot of things that I don't agree with. I could give you a long list but I have to go to work.

Reactions: Monk

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
In the fourth round you are hoping to find someone to make the NHL

We had an extra one. So we spent it on a guy who is already in the NHL to fill a role we all agree we needed filled. This is a non issue

"Already in the NHL" is, uh, doing a *lot* of work here.

He played 46 AHL games last season with Milwaukee and just 10 games in the NHL.

He's 25 and his career stats are 3-4-7 with 88 PIM in 48 career NHL games. He's played in 5 playoff games in the NHL, no points. He's played in 156 AHL games in his career, including 12 playoff games.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
"Already in the NHL" is, uh, doing a *lot* of work here.

He played 46 AHL games last season with Milwaukee and just 10 games in the NHL.

He's 25 and his career stats are 3-4-7 with 88 PIM in 48 career NHL games. He's played in 5 playoff games in the NHL, no points. He's played in 156 AHL games in his career, including 12 playoff games.
Alright, already in the pros with the ability to play in the NHL. Is that better?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Are there any guys who would fit the bill for what this guy brings who can actually play? I supppse they would cost more than a 4th. To me, that speaks to how much Jarmo values the role.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
You were surely here when many in this board lost their collective shit after those games right?
I was, and had a few posts about on this page of the GDT:

GDT: - Game 66: Columbus @ Minnesota | 8 PM ET

My main point was we should look for a N. Foligno OR Calvert OR Dubinsky OR Anderson. Maybe two. But not Foligno AND Calvert AND Dubinsky AND Anderson.

But I wasn't even thinking about a guy like Olivier. I was only thinking about tough/gritty guys that can actually also play hockey at least competently at the NHL level.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My take is this guy plays in Cleveland the majority of the time but gets call ups when we play teams like Minny, or Calgary.

He's losing his waiver exemption so we could lose him for nothing if we send him to Cleveland. That's why Nashville traded him, because they were going to waive him.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Are there any guys who would fit the bill for what this guy brings who can actually play? I supppse they would cost more than a 4th. To me, that speaks to how much Jarmo values the role.

Zac Rinal....

Jay Beagle, apparently. John Hayden, Brett Ritchie, Anthony Angello, Mason Geertsen, Colton Sceviour, Nick Deslauriers, Kevin Rooney, Zac Aston-Reese.

All UFAs.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Zac Rinal....

Jay Beagle, apparently. John Hayden, Brett Ritchie, Anthony Angello, Mason Geertsen, Colton Sceviour, Nick Deslauriers, Kevin Rooney, Zac Aston-Reese.

All UFAs.
I really would have enjoyed having a guy named Rooney on the roster.

"Les Jeux Sont Faits. Translation: The Game Is Up. Your Ass Is Mine." — Ed Rooney.​

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Zac Rinal....

All UFAs.

Probably all have their hearts set on NYC, LA, etc

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
A 4th rounder does nothing to help this team now and MAYBE helps us 3-4 years down the line.

This is a move that POTENTIALLY helps us now.

That's how I see it. Nothing more than a modern day Boll.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
A 4th rounder does nothing to help this team now and MAYBE helps us 3-4 years down the line.

This is a move that POTENTIALLY helps us now.

That's how I see it. Nothing more than a modern day Boll.

To clarify what I find funny about this is folks are basically saying "we trust Jarmo/scouts to choose a good 18-20 year old in the 4th round, but we don't trust them when it comes to this particular 25 year old."

Like you said, obviously they determined the potential impact of that 25 year old now > the potential impact of a 19 year old years from now, but there's some irony in trusting them to choose a 4th rounder instead of this guy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Which ones would be taking an NHL minimum contract?

Part of the rub here is that we're paying in draft picks when we could be paying in $$. That and the quality is low. Deslauriers wouldn't be cheap but he doesn't cost an asset and he's solidly a better hockey player and a better fighter. It seems as though there is some penny pinching going on here, maybe dictated by ownership.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I guess for me it's just a matter of confusion. I just don't recall guys like Olivier who have very little NHL experience or junior pedigree returning a pick like this. In no way am I sweating the loss of a 4th round pick for some immediate help, I just don't recall much precedent. He was gonna hit the waiver wire in October.

My thought is there must have been someone offering another late pick, and Jarmo simply identified Olivier as the guy he wanted and said f*** it, and paid a slightly higher price.

It makes me wonder what we could get for a guy like Bemstrom.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Another winger added to the bottom 6 logjam. Jarmo really needs to get his trading pants on, and start moving some forwards

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You kind of want the power of being the team to waive him at the beginning of the season when he won’t be as likely to get claimed. Before injuries. When you don’t want to piss off your own borderline AHL / NHL guy that you are counting on for leadership in the AHL. And you really don’t want to piss off your own young guy battling to make the team.

If he stayed with Nashville and they waive him, what are we going to do? Claim him and tell Kent Johnson that he is going to Cleveland? Get him now, waive him when other borderline guys are getting waived right before the season starts, and he ends up in Cleveland to protect the young guys, and nobody gets mad that a roster spot is taken.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
You kind of want the power of being the team to waive him at the beginning of the season when he won’t be as likely to get claimed. Before injuries. When you don’t want to piss off your own borderline AHL / NHL guy that you are counting on for leadership in the AHL. And you really don’t want to piss off your own young guy battling to make the team.

If he stayed with Nashville and they waive him, what are we going to do? Claim him and tell Kent Johnson that he is going to Cleveland? Get him now, waive him when other borderline guys are getting waived right before the season starts, and he ends up in Cleveland to protect the young guys, and nobody gets mad that a roster spot is taken.
Fair point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Makes sense but wouldn't it have been much better to spend a bit of money and get Deslauriers, who is a bona-fide NHL quality player and a better fighter?

It would be funny if Jeannot or someone gets injured in camp and then Nashville claims Olivier off of waivers, pocketing the 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad