Proposal: CBJ’s 22nd OA Pick for LHD

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Boqvist for Sandin would’ve been a good swap before he went to Washington. Imo Boqvist should go and from both teams POVs I’d do Boqvist and LAK 1st for Arbor Xhajak. His talent set is so rare he’s worth a premium and Boqvist steps into the top PP role and the get a 1st in a deep draft.
There's no way the Habs are trading Xhekaj no matter how badly you butcher his name. He's a huge part of the team going forward, and a leader already. When he went down this year, the Habs were noticeably less physical and involved in games. As you said, he has a unique skill set and it's staying in Montreal.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know teams sell expiring assets at the deadline, but it is funny you traded Gavrikov for this pick and now in an ideal trade for this pick you would want someone like Gavrikov in return

Devils got fortunate doing that type of swap. Lou dealt Jaromir Jagr to Florida for a 2015 2nd and 2016 3rd. A few months later at the draft, Ray Shero sent those picks to Anaheim for Kyle Palmieri.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
There's no way the Habs are trading Xhekaj no matter how badly you butcher his name. He's a huge part of the team going forward, and a leader already. When he went down this year, the Habs were noticeably less physical and involved in games. As you said, he has a unique skill set and it's staying in Montreal.
I used all the correct letter but just switch the JK to see if you noticed

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
there are enough stop gap LD in FA that this is more than likely not going to be a thing...too many kids coming to in some effect waste trading 22 for someone not here in a couple years...

using 22 for a decent center would probably suit the team more

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
... I highly doubt the Jackets touch the 2024 1st. For KAM they would and then some but not for Lindgren. They would love to add Lindgren though, I think the 22nd OA + an ELC player (on the level of Foudy, Berni, etc... ) that can help the Rangers squeeze under the cap would be doable for the Jackets. Maybe a better player then those two actually, but I can't think of anyone who is above that but under Texier / Marchenko level (that level is not on the table). ...
constructive post, kudos
prefer all picks return

lindy + ___________
for
22)A + _________

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Edmundson has ufa at the end and likely not the best target.
Then again, Columbus can see if he's a fit and extend him if he is, or rent him out if he isn't. And he wouldn't cost a 1st.

I could see him moved for a 3d and a prospect who needs a change of scenery.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
came here to say Oliver Ekmon Larrsoon.
trouble.gif

* * *​
Rights to LHD shutdown D Ryan Graves for a 4th round pick
UFA rights deals are typically ripoffs, but Graves is a guy we've all had a great deal of interest in, so that manages to actually be tempting.

* * *​
Brendan Dillon from the Jets
He fits the need, but at age 32 I severely doubt we'd be giving up a 1st for him.

* * *​
No problem if you are not interested in Harris, but he's the opposite of a "high-event darling".

Harris plays a quiet, smart, and effective game. He's still learning and growing as a player, and would only be available because of the depth of prospects Montreal has on the left side.

Montreal needs young RHD, so if Columbus has excess maybe a minor deal could be made without involving 22OA.
Is there a particular variety of RHD the Habs need? Because we have gotten a tad overstocked there, but none of them are going to be top-pairing or anything like that anytime soon.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rangers should sell high on Lindgren
...and that's why we probably wouldn't go there. Buying high == bad idea.

* * *​
Scott perunovich, torey krug.....

Let's make a deal
We've got a ton of OFD already.

* * *​
Provorov, Hayes (45% retention) for Roslovic, Sillinger, the LAK 1 and the Calgary 3.
Take out Sillinger and we still say no. We especially don't need the off-ice drama, and Hayes' attitue is the opposite of what we need in the locker room.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
constructive post, kudos
prefer all picks return

lindy + ___________
for
22)A + _________

I think the Jackets would do 22 + 66. I'd say 22 + 34 but I think that would be poor value if his next contract is a problem. At that price we'd need assurances that we could sign him to something reasonable.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
trouble.gif

* * *​

UFA rights deals are typically ripoffs, but Graves is a guy we've all had a great deal of interest in, so that manages to actually be tempting.

* * *​

He fits the need, but at age 32 I severely doubt we'd be giving up a 1st for him.

* * *​

Is there a particular variety of RHD the Habs need? Because we have gotten a tad overstocked there, but none of them are going to be top-pairing or anything like that anytime soon.
I'd say Habs would be looking at a replica of Harris, but as a righty.

We have Savard (RHD) Wifi and Guhle that can lay the body.
Hutson Mailloux and Barron as PMD
I think habs need a shutdown RHD to take Savard spots when he leaves (then again, he'd be a serviceable 6-7 on his next contract also)

So shutdown RHD would be whay we are looking for.

If you have a 21YO RHD thay was playing in the NHL last year and looking as good as Harris did, we'd be all ears

Reactions: malcb33

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
columbus is picking 3rd in this years draft and they don't have bona fide 1st line center. why would they trade away a first round pick to move into playoff contention?

if carlsson (their likely pick at #3) becomes the needed first line center you can think about moving out futures for win now pieces. but right now this seems like a plan to remain mediocre for the foreseeable future.
Columbus has a top 3 prospect pool that will only improve again this year with the #3OA pick. They should get their 1C of the future (provided he develops) and that future shouldn't be 5 years down the road. The roster isn't barren of talent when healthy but beyond center, our top 4 D is clearly a need and a need for a veteran presence that can play in the top 4 and make the team better. Ideally CBJ would be looking for a now and future return and have prospects to move in addition to the pick. They'll also have pick 34 to put a longer term piece in the pipeline again as well. Guys like Mateychuk, Svozil, Ceulemans, Richard, Makarov and Knazko need time to develop and who knows what they become. Someone likely hits but it's no guarantee.

So, adding a piece that is a good second pair guy (like we had in Gavrikov) that either has a little shorter term or one that can be extended for some period beyond 2-3 years would be a good fit for us. We talk a lot about a guy like Hanifin. And before anyone jumps in and says the 22 won't get him, I know. We have more than can be added and a stomach to move prospects given the backlog. That woudl be an ideal option in the fans eyes. Just an example

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
columbus is picking 3rd in this years draft and they don't have bona fide 1st line center. why would they trade away a first round pick to move into playoff contention?

if carlsson (their likely pick at #3) becomes the needed first line center you can think about moving out futures for win now pieces. but right now this seems like a plan to remain mediocre for the foreseeable future.
There’s definitely something to this, but the team has a lot of young players that need developed and some weaknesses that were really exposed this past season.

The idea would be trying to create a more stable situation for those players to develop. We’ve had two seasons of tipsy-turvy in Cbus.

Not sure it’s the best thing to do with the pick but it’s worth investigating.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would there be a fit for Brett Kulak if he becomes a cap casualty in Edmonton?

Not necessarily for 22nd, just in general.

I'd hate to lose him because he's been very good but we'll need money to re-sign McLeod and Bouchard. Kulak had a strong playoffs for us, his deal is pretty inexpensive, and he can play 2nd pairing as long as his partner is better than he is.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the Jackets would do 22 + 66. I'd say 22 + 34 but I think that would be poor value if his next contract is a problem. At that price we'd need assurances that we could sign him to something reasonable.
You get to negotiate in advance, then a la sign + trade
22 + 66
I could see as a very solid offer
Small chance it gets beat, but not by much and solid

pleasure chewing the fat w/you on this one

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Would there be a fit for Brett Kulak if he becomes a cap casualty in Edmonton?

Not necessarily for 22nd, just in general.

I'd hate to lose him because he's been very good but we'll need money to re-sign McLeod and Bouchard. Kulak had a strong playoffs for us, his deal is pretty inexpensive, and he can play 2nd pairing as long as his partner is better than he is.

Kulak doesn't work unfortunately. We need a guy that can stabilize a second pair when incomplete young players like Jiricek or Boqvist need help.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
What defenseman could the Jackets get by trading this pick away? FYI, we would prefer a shutdown D over an offensive minded D.

Romanov went last year for 13OA, who might be available in 2023?

Current CBJ blue-line:

Werenski LHD Boqvist RHD
Bean LHD Jiricek RHD
Peeke RHD Gudbranson RHD
Blankenburg RHD
You obviously want Logan Stanley. He’s 6’7!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad