Proposal: CBJ’s 22nd OA Pick for LHD

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What defenseman could the Jackets get by trading this pick away? FYI, we would prefer a shutdown D over an offensive minded D.

Romanov went last year for 13OA, who might be available in 2023?

Current CBJ blue-line:

Werenski LHD Boqvist RHD
Bean LHD Jiricek RHD
Peeke RHD Gudbranson RHD
Blankenburg RHD

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
After Seattle wins tonight that pick will be #21 OA, jumped the gun ;)

In all seriousness, a B tier prospect or one of the other youngish Dmen in a package with pick #21/22 is also a doable thing.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know teams sell expiring assets at the deadline, but it is funny you traded Gavrikov for this pick and now in an ideal trade for this pick you would want someone like Gavrikov in return
There was no guarantee we would be able to get something done as the two parties were stuck on term. Would've been a nightmare to not get anything from him and Korpi. Now we can at least use that capital to replace him (even if we have to add some assets to get a long term replacement)

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Connor Murphy would be a good fit.

Edit: just realized that you specified LHD, so I guess that rules out Murphy.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Harris for Cbus' 2nd, or Harris and Habs 2nd for 22nd overall.

Edmundson has ufa at the end and likely not the best target.

Toews fits better, but if that fails

Harris is solid, but Habs have Matheson, Guhle and Xhekaj on the left side.

Mostly a surplus.

For me, personally I'd always deal him for LDBB.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Orlov goes back to Washington and Gavrikov stays in LA, so our UFA options might be limited

Trading the pick+ will likely be the answer

would the LAK pick + ceulemans (2021 1st rounder) + del bel belluz (2022 2nd rounder) get it done for toews?
Don’t see Colorado doing it, but I like your offer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Colorado and Columbus seem like a natural fit for good trading partners. Avs have 3 Top 4 quality LD and it would seem extremely likely to deal 1 of them away as we cant afford all 3 of them nor have the minutes really for all 3. We also need to restructure our roster better as is.

The Avs really need a 2C and some forward depth in general, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal one of Girard or Toews for a futures heavy package with the intention of flipping some of those futures or some of our own elsewhere to get that 2C in a separate deal.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Personally, unless the player is of a quality level such that we'd be the ones who have to consider adding something, I don't think it's worth moving the pick.
I’d probably agree with that. Would you do something around your 2nd for Ferraro?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Last I checked Harris was an undersized low-strength bottom-pairing PMD, which is what we don't need.
Harris probably has the best advanced stats of all D on MTL. He's not really a PMD. He's a 2way guy who got good results in both his team's shots/chances for and against. He gets better results defensively than a "big" "high-strength" bottom-pairing stay at home D like Gudbranson.

Maybe that's CBJ's problem.... going for a type instead of an actually good player.

Reactions: alasania94

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Harris probably has the best advanced stats of all D on MTL. He's not really a PMD. He's a 2way guy who got good results in both his team's shots/chances for and against. He gets better results defensively than a "big" "high-strength" bottom-pairing stay at home D like Gudbranson.

Maybe that's CBJ's problem.... going for a type instead of an actually good player.
Thanks for sharing. Not looking for high-event darlings.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Maybe but unlikely. The need isn't "defensemen in general", or even "LD in general"; it's this one particular targeted need for a second-pairing guy, ideally more shutdown oriented.
I think that fits Ferraro honestly. He’s been paired with a lot of unsteady partners to say the least but he’s definitely shutdown oriented. I’d be open to keeping him but Sharks just have a ton of numbers down the left side now and he could probably return the best value.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado and Columbus seem like a natural fit for good trading partners. Avs have 3 Top 4 quality LD and it would seem extremely likely to deal 1 of them away as we cant afford all 3 of them nor have the minutes really for all 3. We also need to restructure our roster better as is.

The Avs really need a 2C and some forward depth in general, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal one of Girard or Toews for a futures heavy package with the intention of flipping some of those futures or some of our own elsewhere to get that 2C in a separate deal.

If you're not extending Toews and he's willing to extend with Columbus, then I think the Jackets back up the truck for him. Mateychuk, Sillinger, pretty much any future not including KJ, Jiricek, and the 3rdOA is on the table. Jackets also have a surfeit of good depth wingers that Colorado could use.

I don't think Girard is what the Jackets need.

Has Harris played up lineup much? Vs harder competition?

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that fits Ferraro honestly. He’s been paired with a lot of unsteady partners to say the least but he’s definitely shutdown oriented. I’d be open to keeping him but Sharks just have a ton of numbers down the left side now and he could probably return the best value.
I'd have to look into more detail about the guy. The rule of thumb I'm using for acceptance is "better at the role than Bean" and I wouldn't know enough to make that call offhand.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

PLD or Scheifele to the Avs as rentals with the potential to resign makes almost too much sense to me. PLD would probably be more desirable given his better age and commitment to two-way play, but I think both would flourish on a team with a bunch of recent Cup winners like the Avs.

The Jets should be interested in any competent D man coming back the other way, even if we need RHDs more than LHD. Would be curious to see if CBJ somehow jumps in as a middle man.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you're not extending Toews and he's willing to extend with Columbus, then I think the Jackets back up the truck for him. Mateychuk, Sillinger, pretty much any future not including KJ, Jiricek, and the 3rdOA is on the table. Jackets also have a surfeit of good depth wingers that Colorado could use.

I don't think Girard is what the Jackets need.

Has Harris played up lineup much? Vs harder competition?
There really weren't defined "1st pair, 2nd pair, 3rd pair" pairings all year. The answer would be "sometimes". But he did get a lot fewer Ozone starts than most of the other D and again, was high up on D in things like Corsi %, Fenwick %, XGF%, HDCF% etc.

He's very much undervalued in Habs land because Xhekaj is fun to watch, and gives big hits, has a bigger shot and fights. But most of the time when the puck is in play, the team does better with Harris on the ice compared to Jack Eye. He's not a star, will never be, but he's a good solid defenseman. I'd rather have him on the ice than Bean, Boqvist, Gudbranson, Blankenburg (who I like when not injured) and pretty much any CBJ D other than Werenski.

Doesn't mean they should trade for him, but to dismiss him as small and weak is silly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad