CBC Olympic Power Rankings Spezza #21

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm surprised Spezza was that high on the list, if Letang wasn't injured he would be higher as would James Neal. Lupul & Seguin could be higher & where is Jamie Benn, he should be up there?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would love for Spez to make the team, and I know he would love to make the team... but the idea of him going to Russia healthy, and coming back hurt, scares me a bit.

They aren't going to risk him costing them a one and done game with an irresponsible play and I don't blame them.

More then enough talent to be a lock on this team but he has no brain.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
:amazed:

:sarcasm: ?

What a load of crap. Have you ever seen RNH play? If so, you are blind.

I take it you don't agree?

Yes, bambi is very skilled but not ready for an Olympic role just yet. He will be great but he is one dimensional at the moment.

My eyes are pretty good...but we can agree to disagree.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa

Yes, bambi is very skilled but not ready for an Olympic role just yet. He will be great but he is one dimensional at the moment.

I'd say that at this moment he's better than Spezz defensively and worse offensively. Seen both of them play at least 60 times since Nuge came in to the league, and Nuges problem's recently have most certainly been offensive and not defensive. But yeah no way he's ready for the olympics yet.

WhiteLight*

I'm not arguing whether he should play at the Olympics or not.

RNH is better than Spezza defensively.

Not only did you say RNH was worse, you took it to whole other level with the Bergeron thing. ''RNH can't play in his own end'' is just factually wrong, it's not even a matter of opinion.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not arguing whether he should play at the Olympics or not.

RNH is better than Spezza defensively.

Not only did you say RNH was worse, you took it to whole other level with the Bergeron thing. ''RNH can't play in his own end'' is just factually wrong, it's not even a matter of opinion.

Well what you may think is fact or not is your opinion. Factually wrong is when someone discusses the temperature water boils, the temperature that a human is febrile, not someone's opinion on a hockey player's strength/weaknesses.

If I am in an Olympic game, I would want Jason Spezza on the ice at Sochi with Canada in the lead in the 3rd. In 2014. Not RNH as in that level of game while he may be better against Columbus on a January Saturday night, in an Olympic medal game Spezza will be better defensively.

Just my opinion.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I didn't even see this. SMH

Is this a joke? He isn't nearly as good as Spezza right now in overall game.

Better vision, more responsible defensively and makes less high risk plays. If I had to choose which one to play one season for the sens. It would be RNH. Just my preference. The high risk plays Spezza is really getting to me, time for him to make smarter decisions. Also I like a good cycle game and RNH is superior in the cycle game. RNH is just a smarter and better hockey player right now IMO. I feel like I have a pretty good leg to stand on here as I watch just about every Oilers games and every Sens game.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Looked great tonight.

I would be happy if he made it as a 13th forward. Would be nice to have his faceoff and offensive skills in the other team's zone

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Better vision, more responsible defensively and makes less high risk plays. If I had to choose which one to play one season for the sens. It would be RNH. Just my preference. The high risk plays Spezza is really getting to me, time for him to make smarter decisions. Also I like a good cycle game and RNH is superior in the cycle game. RNH is just a smarter and better hockey player right now IMO. I feel like I have a pretty good leg to stand on here as I watch just about every Oilers games and every Sens game.

I've watched 3 Oilers games this year and RNH is not even close to Spezza's level of talent and ability. He's just a shiny new toy with a bunch of potential.

The Spezza whipping boy thing is old and played out. RNH is playing on a high flying super talented offensive team and still isn't approaching Spezza offensively.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I still can't believe that Brent Burns is not on anyones list. Dude has been a PPG player since moving to forward and can play either wing or either side on defense. He should be an automatic pick as an alternate IMHO.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I've watched 3 Oilers games this year and RNH is not even close to Spezza's level of talent and ability. He's just a shiny new toy with a bunch of potential.

The Spezza whipping boy thing is old and played out. RNH is playing on a high flying super talented offensive team and still isn't approaching Spezza offensively.

I wouldn't say I've ever used Spezza as a whipping boy nor am I here. Just saying I like the game RNH plays better and would prefer him. Obviously he doesn't have the scoring touch Spezza has. But I disagree that RNH isn't on Spezza's level offensively. Not that I'm right because I've seen the majority of his games just feel I have a better feel than most.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's understandable. You're more than welcome to your opinion I just really don't see RNH as being on Spezza's level at any area. I'd love to see what Spezza could do with two of Perron, Hall, Eberle or Yakupov as his wingers.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Whatever tiny, little advantages rnh has in the defensive end doesn't come close to the offensive gap between the 2. You can literally put neil/smith, butler/greening, or echl players on spezza's wing and he will produce at a ppg clip. Rare to find these type of players and they usually go 1st in drafts.

WhiteLight*

Well what you may think is fact or not is your opinion. Factually wrong is when someone discusses the temperature water boils, the temperature that a human is febrile, not someone's opinion on a hockey player's strength/weaknesses.

If I am in an Olympic game, I would want Jason Spezza on the ice at Sochi with Canada in the lead in the 3rd. In 2014. Not RNH as in that level of game while he may be better against Columbus on a January Saturday night, in an Olympic medal game Spezza will be better defensively.

Just my opinion.

Sure. It's your opinion Spezza is better.

''RNH can't play in his own end'' like you said is factually wrong though. Not a matter of opinion, it's just an outright lie.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Sure. It's your opinion Spezza is better.

''RNH can't play in his own end'' like you said is factually wrong though. Not a matter of opinion, it's just an outright lie.

Why would I lie?

I do not feel that in a game that truly matters that RNH can play in his own end like Spezza can.

Mandy, always so dramatic.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Interestingly, spezza is tied in second place for goals for. He is tied with crosby, marleau, and steen. What is surprising to me is that giroux still does not have any goals.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
Interestingly, spezza is tied in second place for goals for. He is tied with crosby, marleau, and steen. What is surprising to me is that giroux still does not have any goals.

On another note, I love when people argue that G is better than Spezza, while it is sort of close, It's really not a tough decision at all to me.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
On another note, I love when people argue that G is better than Spezza, while it is sort of close, It's really not a tough decision at all to me.

It's certainly debatable too be honest. Giroux is younger then spezza which is a plus in many peoples eyes.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
It's certainly debatable too be honest. Giroux is younger then spezza which is a plus in many peoples eyes.

True, I don't really factor that in who's better but I can see when it comes to value why people would feel that way. Spezz is just a better goal scorer, better defensively and a better controller of the game IMO.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
the narrative for Spezza was decided long ago.
it doesnt matter how it gets refuted, or how many giveaways other top centers make, how good he is on the draw or how much his two way game improved years ago.

Anytime he makes a pass that goes awry - it counts as every bad pass or play he's ever made.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
the narrative for Spezza was decided long ago.
it doesnt matter how it gets refuted, or how many giveaways other top centers make, how good he is on the draw or how much his two way game improved years ago.

Anytime he makes a pass that goes awry - it counts as every bad pass or play he's ever made.

I agree with you that people can forget all good things spezza does and only focus on the bad things.

I got to say though, 7 goals, 3 assists and 10 points in 9 games is not bad. I would want his assists to rise a little, but that entirely depends on his wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad