Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I like that Hughes took the time to say Primeau did well this year. He had some tough games, but he also had stellar moments. Overall he was quite good imo. Kid seems to sometimes lack a little bit of self confidence, so it may be important for him to know his boss is happy with his work.

I believe him and Monty can be a fine duo for us in the next few years. The NHL isn't so much a league of elite starters anymore and spending a lot on a goalie tandem isn't really the way to go. Our tandem now costs less than 5M which means there is a lot of space to make the team in front better.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like that Hughes took the time to say Primeau did well this year. He had some tough games, but he also had stellar moments. Overall he was quite good imo. Kid seems to sometimes lack a little bit of self confidence, so it may be important for him to know his boss is happy with his work.

I believe him and Monty can be a fine duo for us in the next few years. The NHL isn't so much a league of elite starters anymore and spending a lot on a goalie tandem isn't really the way to go. Our tandem now costs less than 5M which means there is a lot of space to make the team in front better.

Primeau can't regularly have stinkers where he gets lit up or let's in multiple bananas if he wants to be an NHL backup. We'll see if he has the ability to not allow that to happen.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Primeau can't regularly have stinkers where he gets lit up or let's in multiple bananas if he wants to be an NHL backup. We'll see if he has the ability to not allow that to happen.
He'll get an opportunity for more consistent starts which will help, but he hopefully will have a better team in front of him and he has the rest of this season and the summer to train hard on his weaknesses to become a reliable backup.

Reactions: 26Mats

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Good for him. Wasn’t looking good the last couple years but he seems back on track.

Goalie situation is looking rock solid depth wise and quality wise

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well deserved.

I won't lie, I had begun to give up on him but he's looked back on track once Allen was traded.

Last 5/10 games splits are really good.

Still only 24 years old, I always feel like he's older.

Consistency will be the big question. But if he can play like he has the last month or so all the time, then things will be very interesting going forward in net.

Reactions: FloJack

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Primeau's numbers are almost an exact match with Montembeault's starting with number of saves taking in to account the 50% fewer games played.
I'm not going to get into who played whom but it's cool none the less.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Primeau's numbers are almost an exact match with Montembeault's starting with number of saves taking in to account the 50% fewer games played.
I'm not going to get into who played whom but it's cool none the less.
I wonder if Primeau starts against Florida, a team that owned his glove hand for about 4 goals....

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder if Primeau starts against Florida, a team that owned his glove hand for about 4 goals....
Barkov has been making a ton of goaltenders look stupid with that shot placement for a while now.
I'm still waiting to see more of that type of shot from our shooters and have mentioned it more than once.
Cough cough Coughfield.
I'm not a fan of high and wide and I don't know anyone who is.

Reactions: Tyson

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Kudos to Hughes for his patience and how he was able to handle the goalie situation.

I thought we were stuck with Allen's contract and that best move for Primeau was to risk putting him on waivers to try and boost his confidence in the AHL. In the end, everything worked out perfectly for our goalies.

Monty - continues to improve, got rewarded with a reasonable 3 year extension
Allen - we got a 2nd/3rd, Allen gets a chance to play more games on a better team
Primeau - has made the most of his opportunities and looked like a NHLer
Dobes - without Primeau in the AHL, he has been able to play a shit ton of games and has looked excellent the last few months

Reactions: Tuggy and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Kudos to Hughes for his patience and how he was able to handle the goalie situation.

I thought we were stuck with Allen's contract and that best move for Primeau was to risk putting him on waivers to try and boost his confidence in the AHL. In the end, everything worked out perfectly for our goalies.

Monty - continues to improve, got rewarded with a reasonable 3 year extension
Allen - we got a 2nd/3rd, Allen gets a chance to play more games on a better team
Primeau - has made the most of his opportunities and looked like a NHLer
Dobes - without Primeau in the AHL, he has been able to play a shit ton of games and has looked excellent the last few months
All of a sudden the Habs are very deep in net with the emergence of several goalies from Monty on down.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Damn had we drafted UPL I'd probably be able to count on one hand how many times one of our members bothered to spell out his full name. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well deserved.

I won't lie, I had begun to give up on him but he's looked back on track once Allen was traded.

Last 5/10 games splits are really good.

Still only 24 years old, I always feel like he's older.

Consistency will be the big question. But if he can play like he has the last month or so all the time, then things will be very interesting going forward in net.
To sniff the NHL you need to be extremely talented. I’d imagine with goaltending the difference between staying in the big leagues and not is often confidence. Of course Primeau looked poor when he’d get to play once every 2-3 weeks.

Still crazy that Montreal continuously counter balances its inability to find PPG forwards with its ability in finding good goaltending. Both goalies have been really good this season, one was picked up off waivers and the other was a 7th round pick.

Reactions: bcv and Tuggy

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Damn had we drafted UPL I'd probably be able to count on one hand how many times one of our members bothered to spell out his full name. :laugh:
Uukko Pekka Luukkonnen is a good goalie. Uukko Pekka Luukkonnen has a good frame and is playing well for Buffalo. Uukko Pekka Luukkonnen would look good for the Montreal Canadiens.

Uukko Pekka Luukkonnen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad