Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Just read an article with those ugly numbers you set out. Hadn't realized how bad he has been. Hughes may have outsmarted himself this time. Many were calling for Allen to be moved a long time ago. Looks like Hughes was holding out for a 7th to be added ?
Hughes didn't want to trade Allen before Monty was extended (he confirmed it a few days ago). He also probably didn't want to do it until they saw Primeau play a few more games in the NHL to make sure he could be the future backup.

Hughes said the Habs might have 3 goalies all season long. He's not going to move from his ask and there is no urgency to move Allen, he haven't requested a trade and he's well liked in the locker room. The 3 goalies also support each others a lot.

Reactions: cphabs

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He needs more games to see what he is,this season he has performed better than in previous and has looked decent,sustainable?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hughes didn't want to trade Allen before Monty was extended (he confirmed it a few days ago). He also probably didn't want to do it until they saw Primeau play a few more games in the NHL to make sure he could be the future backup.

Hughes said the Habs might have 3 goalies all season long. He's not going to move from his ask and there is no urgency to move Allen, he haven't requested a trade and he's well liked in the locker room. The 3 goalies also support each others a lot.
My issue isn't with the 3 goalies, my issue is that MSL is playing Allen over Primeau and if that is MSL's call as coach, then I want Hughes to force the issue so that Primeau gets played more. Primeau still has a shot at being a Hab long term, Allen doesn't . Play Primeau see what he is capable of doing, and a game every 3 weeks doesn't cut it.

Reactions: cphabs

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
If you want to win why don't you guys play Monty more ?

I guess trying to develop Primeau is the goal and likely no shot at the playoffs but...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
My issue isn't with the 3 goalies, my issue is that MSL is playing Allen over Primeau and if that is MSL's call as coach, then I want Hughes to force the issue so that Primeau gets played more. Primeau still has a shot at being a Hab long term, Allen doesn't . Play Primeau see what he is capable of doing, and a game every 3 weeks doesn't cut it.
The hierarchy has been Monty, Primeau and Allen for ~3 weeks now and they stopped alternating. Allen didn't get any consecutives start during that time while the other two did.

Reactions: yianik

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I admit I was hard on Primeau for the past couple years and I just didn’t see signs of him making the nhl, but I’m glad he’s proving me wrong. I can’t wait until it’s him and Monty with a better team in front of them. It’ll be interesting to see how they do for sure. Dobes looking much more solid in Laval as well. Goaltending depth really seems to be becoming a strength. Glad it’s being addressed. Fowler too of course. I’m liking Kaskasouo so far too. Hopefully they get him to stick around.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

More teams might be more desperate as the deadline approaches. Besides, it’s not like Allen will fetch a kings ransom. This is more to clear out the third goalie.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Primeau having Monty in front of him will be a blessing for his development. Once allen can get gone he'll be groomed to either be dealt himself or unseat Monty. Its like they're sith lords
Cayden Skywalker and his Sith Master! They will make a great duo. Time to move on from Allen in the trade deadline or in the 2024 draft.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I admit I was hard on Primeau for the past couple years and I just didn’t see signs of him making the nhl, but I’m glad he’s proving me wrong. I can’t wait until it’s him and Monty with a better team in front of them. It’ll be interesting to see how they do for sure. Dobes looking much more solid in Laval as well. Goaltending depth really seems to be becoming a strength. Glad it’s being addressed. Fowler too of course. I’m liking Kaskasouo so far too. Hopefully they get him to stick around.

I feel I was very wrong on ranking him so highly despite being very impressed with him in the NCAA. I have always struggled with goalies as it's the only position I never played at any level. I like Dobes even more as he's been the most fun goalie prospect to watch since he can get pissed off really quick and he can go off start punching. He's toned it way down though since his USHL days.

I haven't been watching Primeau but it's been suggested he was struggling with the mental side of things, that his confidence took a major hit but if he can just hold on, he will at least show he can be a full time backup which for a 7th rounder would be a nice win. I still hold out hope that he will show more like what he was in the NCAA and at times in the AHL.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Primeau is wildly inconsistent. Literally he alternates between a really great game and an awful game. To be a back up he needs to string together good games. I'm hoping with more playing time he starts getting there.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Primeau is wildly inconsistent. Literally he alternates between a really great game and an awful game. To be a back up he needs to string together good games. I'm hoping with more playing time he starts getting there.
I feel like if he could figure out that hand (and a few other technical things) he could get there.

This isn't a development league, but he clearly needs more development. Maybe with playing time he could continue to develop this year and next. If we trade Monahan, I don't think we're making the playoffs next year. So might as well use this year and next as development time.

Reactions: montreal and yianik

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
What GM would say- "hey, Allen is 1-9 in his last 10 starts, he is the answer to our goaltending woes"....

Allen will have no GM wanting him. Hughes is in a spot with Jake Allen.
Lots of crap goalies out there right now. Playoff teams like Kings, Canes, etc need to figure it out before April. Somebody is going to have to pay up sooner or later. I say Allen gets us a 4th at worst. Hoping for a 3rd

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I've always liked his style, I think he's progressing. But he's the type of person who focuses too much on the bad and can't get rid of it quickly enough.

He needs Tony Robbins or something.

We do it Primeau

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I feel I was very wrong on ranking him so highly despite being very impressed with him in the NCAA. I have always struggled with goalies as it's the only position I never played at any level. I like Dobes even more as he's been the most fun goalie prospect to watch since he can get pissed off really quick and he can go off start punching. He's toned it way down though since his USHL days.

I haven't been watching Primeau but it's been suggested he was struggling with the mental side of things, that his confidence took a major hit but if he can just hold on, he will at least show he can be a full time backup which for a 7th rounder would be a nice win. I still hold out hope that he will show more like what he was in the NCAA and at times in the AHL.

Goaltending is primarily a mental position where confidence and resiliency reign supreme. This is the reason that it is by multiple orders of magnitude the most difficult/volatile position to scout and draft as the physical aspect is not the defining factor. Primeau's development is much closer to typical than most posters seem to realize....I am not talking about the minutia and specific details of his story but of the timeline from being drafted to reaching positional maturity.

Reactions: montreal

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Goaltending is primarily a mental position where confidence and resiliency reign supreme. This is the reason that it is by multiple orders of magnitude the most difficult/volatile position to scout and draft as the physical aspect is not the defining factor. Primeau's development is much closer to typical than most posters seem to realize....I am not talking about the minutia and specific details of his story but of the timeline from being drafted to reaching positional maturity.
True. We have been treated to star goalies for a long time in Montreal. Most recently with Price. Because of that we may not realize that normally goalies take much longer and need much more seasoning before making the NHL. Even Vasilevsky who was a high pick and highly touted took a while to make an impact. It even looked like he wasn't gonna be anything special at some point, until he was.

Gotta be very patient and give it time with goalies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
True. We have been treated to star goalies for a long time in Montreal. Most recently with Price. Because of that we may not realize that normally goalies take much longer and need much more seasoning before making the NHL. Even Vasilevsky who was a high pick and highly touted took a while to make an impact. It even looked like he wasn't gonna be anything special at some point, until he was.

Gotta be very patient and give it time with goalies.

Exactly!

Vasilevsky took 5 years to play his first season as a #1 after taking 3 seasons to break into the NHL and even that is considered borderline meteoric for a goaltender lol.

It takes a special type of obtuse to start calling a goalie who has had alot of success in junior/college/minor pro a bust at 24 years of age. This is precisely why you don't draft them early as you know so little about their game/potential at 17/18.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly!

Vasilevsky took 5 years to play his first season as a #1 after taking 3 seasons to break into the NHL and even that is considered borderline meteoric for a goaltender lol.

It takes a special type of obtuse to start calling a goalie who has had alot of success in junior/college/minor pro a bust at 24 years of age. This is precisely why you don't draft them early as you know so little about their game/potential at 17/18.
Also it looks like we should have left Primeau in College an extra year, and not have him sit on the taxi squad so much innthe NHL, when he could have been playing 3 of every 4 games in Laval.

Reactions: morhilane

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Exactly!

Look at Jesper Wallstedt the other night for Minnesota in his debut. Looks super impressive technically and positionally every level he’s played and one game in the NHL and players were finding every hole imaginable on him on top of him struggling to track the speed of the puck. It’s very hard to judge a goalie who will actually be able to transition from lower leagues.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Also it looks like we should have left Primeau in College an extra year, and not have him sit on the taxi squad so much innthe NHL, when he could have been playing 3 of every 4 games in Laval.

Hard to say, it was Primeau's decision and goaltending development is anything but linear or predictable. It is impossible to assign causality to any one event.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Primeau really had to sweat to get his first NHL backup job.

Let's see what he does with it.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad