Cavs fire David Blatt

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
That might not be a bad idea if he's staying in the NBA.

I'm curious to see how much Blatt changes because he has a bit of an ego as well. He's a very accomplished coach internationally but NBA players and people in NA don't know much about him. Whether it's fair or not and maybe it won't matter as much with a young team, he has to earn the respect of NBA players. He also needs some thicker skin. There were so many times where he'd get testy with the media over small things that he took as a slight against him, even when they weren't. So behind the scenes he was apparently losing respect because he was too easy on the stars and publicly he would be getting defensive because he felt disrespected by people on the outside.

Yeah he has a bit of blame in this no doubt. If I had to dish it out, I'd say 80-20 in terms of Lebron-Blatt.

Like you said his ego was one thing, another imo was he gave up on his offense far too quickly. Don't get me wrong, Lebron isn't the easiest guy to coach or have buy in, but he should've implemented more. I mean you see examples of the type of offenses he ran overseas and he just didn't try to put them in the nba. He's shown he can coach in the playoffs, getting a hobbled Cavs team into the finals, and then taking it to the Warriors is no easy feat.

I still think this was a monumental mistake by the Cavs, but Blatt has a bit of blame here too. In the end though, I think this'll hurt them more than anything. LeBron playing GM is going to keep that team from winning anything. (That and 2 (maaybe 3) stud teams in the West).

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm still not sure on what really went down but I think that Lebron definitely did have a say in Blatt's firing. To add further, I mean out of all the things we are hearing from the news and articles the thing that almost seems certain to me is Lebrons involvement.

Has to be...it makes no sense if not. I think NBA coaching is overrated but they were in a solid position. They will win the 1 seed in the East. They were never likely gunna finish with the best record. No man's land here.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
When you break it down the Cavs are way better this year. Last year at this time? 21-20. Now? 30-11.

They are also Top 5 in offense and defense. Last year at this time? 9th on offense and 27th on defense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sep 19, 2008
RT @BillSimmons The Godfather saga is on HBO3 and it just started. They haven't gotten to the scene when LeBron Corleone gets rid of David Blatt yet.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Funny hearing Mark Jackson call this game and talk about the unfortunate firing of Blatt if what Woj reported is true.

Before David Blatt ever conducted his first training camp practice in September 2014, Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James and his agent, Rich Paul, had the coach's succession plan in place: Mark Jackson.

To become the preferred candidate of the most powerful player in the NBA – and de facto Cavaliers general manager – Jackson understood what he needed to do: Bring on James' and Paul's Klutch Sports agency as his representation, and prepare to deliver those commission fees into the King's coffers. Blatt never had a chance. He never knew what hit him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bound to happen. First and foremost, James never had input and no matter what Griffin says, James is basically the GM or has just as much say as him. Gilbert will do anything to keep LBJ in The Land.

Besides, it seems like A) He didn't want to challenge LBJ and B) nobody was listening to him.

Coaches who are former players usually do pretty good (Kerr, Rivers, Carlisle, Jackson etc), outside of Pop (just a genius) and Spoelstra (stacked roster/Pat Riley) they are usually the ones winning titles, I can see LBJ's point about wanting one.

Word is tho LeBron didnt realize how connected Griffin was and when jackson's named was mentioned Griffin looked into his time with GSW and there werent many good things to say about him or his tenure.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Coaches are always going to stick up for each other but it's still interesting to see some of the comments from SVG, Rick Carlisle, George Karl, etc. They're not holding back.

SVG: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/stan-van-gundy-interview-david-blatt-firing-cleveland-cavaliers-crazy-absurd-insane

Carlisle: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14629132/david-blatt-firing-embarrassing-says-coaches-association-president-rick-carlisle

Karl also called it embarrassing for the league.

It is embarrassing and its one of the many things that makes the NBA come off as a joke. In no other sport would this happen.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Lol Ty Lue already ripping players. Went out of his way to call out Kyrie, LBJ, and Love for being out of shape. Also said he's gonna do things better than Blatt and he's gonna use Love at the elbows more. For the highest paid AC at the time, did he really give no input to Blatt?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Lol Ty Lue already ripping players. Went out of his way to call out Kyrie, LBJ, and Love for being out of shape. Also said he's gonna do things better than Blatt and he's gonna use Love at the elbows more. For the highest paid AC at the time, did he really give no input to Blatt?

I think we all know it was staged. Him ripping players seems like it was pre-planned.

And then mentioning the players were out of shape, time out, he was an AC, he should've known that. Like he would've known the state these players were in. He has been working with them for half a season already.

This is just pathetic by the Cavs.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The best part about this story is that it was broken by Wojnarowski and not LeBron's BFF reporter Windhorst.

Perhaps he, much like LeBron, was just "shocked" by the news :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The best part about this story is that it was broken by Wojnarowski and not LeBron's BFF reporter Windhorst.

Perhaps he, much like LeBron, was just "shocked" by the news :laugh:

Woj is what you would call a good insider as opposed to Windhorst who just listened and gets his info from LBJ/whatever team he's on.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I find it amazing how so many nba fans and media "experts" called for Blatt's head all last year even after the team made the finals and yet now they're crying that he got shafted. Hey, as I've said it sucks, but the Cavs can play better than they have been. They can be a team and not just a few players with the right system.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Haha you can't call out egomaniacs. It won't work. The players do run the league and all buy I think the right guy could hold them in check. Calling them out will get them to lose you quick.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I find it amazing how so many nba fans and media "experts" called for Blatt's head all last year even after the team made the finals and yet now they're crying that he got shafted. Hey, as I've said it sucks, but the Cavs can play better than they have been. They can be a team and not just a few players with the right system.

I don't mind firing a coach if you want more but the off season is the time. They were performing. I think he got as far as you could have expected. I'm never for during a coach after a year unless they do worse. Like inherit a playoff team and miss...then I could understand.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I don't mind firing a coach if you want more but the off season is the time. They were performing. I think he got as far as you could have expected. I'm never for during a coach after a year unless they do worse. Like inherit a playoff team and miss...then I could understand.

That's understandable. I think they wanted to give him a chance to continue esp after the injury plagued Finals. Last year when the Cavs looked iffy out of the gate everyone chalked it up to chemistry issues in the first season, but I think management expected something more this season. The record is good, but the eye test is meh. Love still looks like he's just there, but with his new contract, that can't continue.

It stinks for Blatt but when you were brought in to coach an entirely different makeup of a team and you instead get thrown a team like the Cavs are now, you're not going to get a lot of rope considering Lebron's contract.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
That's understandable. I think they wanted to give him a chance to continue esp after the injury plagued Finals. Last year when the Cavs looked iffy out of the gate everyone chalked it up to chemistry issues in the first season, but I think management expected something more this season. The record is good, but the eye test is meh. Love still looks like he's just there, but with his new contract, that can't continue.

It stinks for Blatt but when you were brought in to coach an entirely different makeup of a team and you instead get thrown a team like the Cavs are now, you're not going to get a lot of rope considering Lebron's contract.

Can't blame Blatt for Love though. I think most thought that wsd a bad idea.

The eye test isn't great but...the record is better and so is the offense and defense. This wouldn't be so bad if they got someone actually qualified. Its not like Tyron Lie has serious worth the time credentials to deserve this.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Has any player even thanked Blatt or anything like that?

No. Some article I read that may have been a beat writer noted that they were calling him David instead of the usual nickname that you'd hear around the league. Not sure what that says if anything.

Can't blame Blatt for Love though. I think most thought that wsd a bad idea.

The eye test isn't great but...the record is better and so is the offense and defense. This wouldn't be so bad if they got someone actually qualified. Its not like Tyron Lie has serious worth the time credentials to deserve this.

The record could look good, but if you have cracks in the foundation, they'll eventually show. Also, Lew was actually in the running for head coach when Blatt was hired. They only hired Blatt because he had some sort of coaching experience. Someone noted how the players may look up more to him because he used to be one of them plus he may have called them out more than Blatt. I don't think the Cavs know if this will be a for sure, but they'll give it a try until maybe this Summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad