Post-Game Talk: Casual 6 point night for McJesus

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Some guys hop on here and talk about how terrible Detroit was last night. Wtf. Detroit owned parts of that game. Skinner kept us in early and McDaddy carried the mail after. Delusional.
I am not sure many saw it that way. I think most realized that periods 1 and 2 were not the Oilers finest hour. That said, Detroit went into the game with one less point that the Oilers and with a 7-2-1 record in their last 10.

I said this in another post but the Oilers seem to be getting full effort out of their opposition these days. For example, I am not sure if the LA King team that shutout the Oilers was the real Kings or as the team that got their butts handed to them by Buffalo was.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Who will score first?

i

Versus

i

FIGHT!
My vote is for this guy

1707931237362.jpeg

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No, he wouldn't. Foegle is better
Foegele is most likely looking at a 3.5M avv extension. It would be dumb to give him that as he disappears most stretches. We can get Kostin at 1M if we trade for him with a retention. Also Kostin is better than Foegele for the playoffs. We saw that last year

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
it is possible, he tore it up down the stretch multiple times. look at the end of the shortened 56 game season where he was gunning for 100 points. must be around that rate. Looks like 65 points in 31 gp to end the 2020-21 season.

He’s had long playoff runs over 2 ppg too.

If he gets to 1000 it’ll be peak McDavid, though. Are we still in the peak McDavid era? Let’s find out
So I just looked during dinner.

Seems the most points he ever had in 33 consecutive games (allowing season overlap) was 72. It happened between April 21st 2021 and November 24th 2021. So the end of the 20-21 season and the start of the 21-22.

If looking at only during one singular season, 66 in 33 seems to be his best (which happened last year between Jan 11th 2023 and March 28th 2023).

Reactions: harpoon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’m not. We’re in the cup winning business and playing no hit no goal hockey and just contributing on the PK is not how we accomplish that. He can be sat out anytime now and probably will be once we bolster the bottom 6 in the coming 3 weeks.
If he was actually throwing hits rather than skating around scared to make contact, the contract would still suck but there would atleast be something there

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
When a lot of posters here say something often the opposite is true. The bear trade is another example they though we traded bobby orr lol

I don't even think there were that many posters banging the Kostin drum this off-season. It was more like 3-4 posters who were filling every thread with hundreds of pro-Kostin posts. You could go to some threads and over 50% of the posts would be from 2-3 posters repeating the same thing over and over. Anyone who was here during the off-season knows who they were. It was brutal.
Ya, instead we got Connor Brown who has no production at all.
Brown does suck I'll give you that. And while I'm talking about off-season posting I am definitely guilty of thinking the Brown signing was great and would be a success. However, there was never a way to simply replace Brown on this roster with Kostin and stay cap compliant. We would've had to have ditched another piece as well (likely Foegele or McLeod). If we're going to compare Brown to other players that we could've had we basically can only look at players making league minimum.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was more like 3-4 posters who were filling every thread with hundreds of pro-Kostin posts. You could go to some threads and over 50% of the posts would be from 2-3 posters repeating the same thing over and over. Anyone who was here during the off-season knows who they were. It was brutal.
QFT. If anyone recalls the narrative at that time was ‘well he made the choice to go play on a bottom feeder and get more minutes and more money’. Since Detroit isn’t the bottom feeder most people expected, and Klim has four points playing <9:00 minutes a night, that decision didn’t work out very well for him. And as you say, the loudest guy in the off-season is suspiciously quiet about Klim’s performance this season and his in particular his limp dick effort last night. Oh well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm expanding the poll. Who will score first this season?

Lavoie:
i

Brown:

i

Hunter:

hunter-e1679248014907-circle.jpg

Assistant Coach Coffey:

Paul-Coffey-Oilers-assistant-coach.jpg

Fire Hydrant:

1707931237362-jpeg.819559

Jack Campbell's Cat:

FBh-SshXIAAAyhc.jpg:large

This is a tough one.

• Haha
Reactions: Sanchez

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Foegele is most likely looking at a 3.5M avv extension. It would be dumb to give him that as he disappears most stretches. We can get Kostin at 1M if we trade for him with a retention. Also Kostin is better than Foegele for the playoffs. We saw that last year
He doesn't disappear just because he isn't scoring lol he does lots of little things right.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There should be a rule that if a team wins the cup, the bonus shouldn't count toward their cap.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
8 even strength goals. Damn. That's gonna be crucial come playoff time when the whistles go away.

Side note, I was impressed with Patrick Kane last night. He's still got it after all these years. He would look great with either Connor or Leon. Too bad he wanted to stay in USA.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He is getting even less minutes in Detroit than he was here and is producing significantly less. To be fair, he had an unsustainable shooting percentage last year and was due for regression. He would be a good player to have around at less than a million but isn't worth the $2.5 million of cap space Detroit used on him (with the Yamamoto buyout).

It would be fun to pull up some posts from the off-season when we traded Kostin away. Some posters were posting ad nauseam about how letting him go was a disaster and we should've dumped Foegele/McLeod to make room for him. Thank god we didn't.
Lmao that a fervent Connor Brown supporter is attempting call outs on people feeling that Klim Kostin was worth keeping. You know, Kostin that scored 14 goals for us last season in limited action and punched donkeys as well as laying out people with hits.

The Wings are stacked at forward position. Brown wouldn't even be seeing the ice there and shouldn't be here.

lol as well at the calculation of Kostins salary including Yams bonus. Meanwhile the same posters will die on the hill saying the Oilers are only gonna pay Connor Brown league minimum. Some creative accounting.

In anycase the position was retaining Kostin and Bjugstad and letting guys like Yams and Foegele go. and not bothering to get Brown.

Last edited:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Lmao that a fervent Connor Brown supporter is attempting call outs on people feeling that Klim Kostin was worth keeping. You know, Kostin that scored 14 goals for us last season in limited action and punched donkeys as well as laying out people with hits.

The Wings are stacked at forward position. Brown wouldn't even be seeing the ice there and shouldn't be here.

lol as well at the calculation of Kostins salary including Yams bonus. Meanwhile the same posters will die on the hill saying the Oilers are only gonna pay Connor Brown league minimum. Some creative accounting.

Hey, at least I can admit that I was wrong about Brown in the off-season. Meanwhile you are still hyping up Kostin’s 14 goals (at a 21% shooting percentage) even though we all knew it wasn’t sustainable. And look, he’s regressed right back to the player he actually is. But sure, we should’ve traded away a better player just to keep Kostin in the mix at $2 million. That definitely would’ve made us a better team this season.

And if you don’t understand Brown’s contract by now that’s on you. No one is saying we are paying him league minimum.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hey, at least I can admit that I was wrong about Brown in the off-season. Meanwhile you are still hyping up Kostin’s 14 goals (at a 21% shooting percentage) even though we all knew it wasn’t sustainable. And look, he’s regressed right back to the player he actually is. But sure, we should’ve traded away a better player just to keep Kostin in the mix at $2 million. That definitely would’ve made us a better team this season.

And if you don’t understand Brown’s contract by now that’s on you. No one is saying we are paying him league minimum.
Kostin is barely getting icetime. No player would be getting much puck confidence playing 8mins a night and few players do find much with that limited minutes and while being scratched.

The mistake was the agent and Kostin deciding to land in Detroit. Poor decision and bad advice. Would've been better for him to stay. They grabbed at the money, wrong decision. But Detroit promised "a much bigger role" and that wasn't delivered and never any intent to. Kostin was getting limited games and minutes all the way back to preseason despite having 3 assists in limited preseason action across around 3-4 games. Detroit went heavy on signing other forwards, several of them, and Kostin was down the chart before season even happened. he didn't gravitate there.

Yeah, several people are maintaining we're just paying Brown league minimum while ignoring the bonus pay out. The reality is Brown being a sum 4M buck cap hit regardless of when thats incurred.

In anycase you were the one that brought this up. Not me. Brown has been a useless sod all season. Precious little comment from you on that all season except the day Kostin is in town. lol specious timing.

Reactions: Keggatron

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes