Prospect Info: Casey Nelson (2016 via UFA) – '15-16: Buffalo #34 (NHL)

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Franson has to get moved for him to make the opening night roster next year. Just no room to have 5 RHD otherwise.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Someone has to sit in the press box and fill in for injuries now that Weber is gone. Sounds like a job for Franson. Don't want a kid doing it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I missed his first game, but he looks like a great skater and can make plays. But, it's still far to early to tell if he's gonna make it or not.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
4 assists in 3 games? Is this kid just lucky or really playing well? I'd love to see him next season in the top 6! I'm happy to see him in place of Colaiacovo.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He played in the NAHL as a 20 year old. And wasn't even that dominant there. This is probably going to be a first, if he goes from being an overaged 2nd tier junior hockey player to being a PPG defenceman in the NHL. :)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
4-4: SABRES DEFENSEMAN CASEY NELSON ON WGR (7:23)
Nelson on his first few games - It's been exciting, a big learning experience so far. The guys (in the room) have been unbelievable so far

Nelson on toughest part of transition - these guys are harder to handle, bigger, faster, stronger. These guys can do it all. #Sabres

Nelson on Mark Pysyk - He's helped me out a lot. Since I got in, he's helped me in the offensive zone. #Sabres

Nelson on decision to join Buffalo - Everyone looks at depth charts, and the #Sabres were a nice fit

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
He played in the NAHL as a 20 year old. And wasn't even that dominant there. This is probably going to be a first, if he goes from being an overaged 2nd tier junior hockey player to being a PPG defenceman in the NHL. :)

Pace is very likely unsustainable, but excited to see what he does over a full season next year, assuming he makes the team.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Only concern i have is how much size/strength can he develop. he's already 23.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
Only concern i have is how much size/strength can he develop. he's already 23.

What you can't develop is his smarts. Strength is the easy part. He's a professional now, surrounded by a professional training staff and hungry, competitive teammates. If he puts in the work as he should this summer, he'll get stronger. I'm north of 23 and could turn into a physical machine if given the resources and motivation he has.

"AHL or NHL, you decide this summer" should be a carrot Murray dangles at the end of the season.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
Pace is very likely unsustainable, but excited to see what he does over a full season next year, assuming he makes the team.

Unless Tim brings another NHL defenseman in, I am expecting him to be in Rochester to get some seasoning while Franson:)help:) and Ruh are the 6 and 7 here. Not because he is the third best but to get him the most playing time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Unless Tim brings another NHL defenseman in, I am expecting him to be in Rochester to get some seasoning while Franson:)help:) and Ruh are the 6 and 7 here. Not because he is the third best but to get him the most playing time.

Ruhwedel is a Tier VI UFA, so it's possible, even likely that he's not back. If anything, Nelson slots immediately into Ruh's depth roll as the 7-8 if not better.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nelson fulfilling on his early promise would be a find. Not banking on it... but anything can happen.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think most are pretty sceptical because of how he’s looked in the past, but his stint right now he’s a major reason when the team has looked better. He’s a perfect type of defender for this style of game and system. I’m honestly surprised at how efficient and steady his defensive game.

He might play himself into a top 4 role to start next year and take a ton of pressure of Botterill to find another guy. The next 25 games are big for him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think most are pretty sceptical because of how he’s looked in the past, but his stint right now he’s a major reason when the team has looked better. He’s a perfect type of defender for this style of game and system. I’m honestly surprised at how efficient and steady his defensive game.

He might play himself into a top 4 role to start next year and take a ton of pressure of Botterill to find another guy. The next 25 games are big for him.

I'll gladly wait out those 25 games before making an assessment. This guy was downright bad for stretches in rochester. I'm skeptical but would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's also having the benefit of Scandella as his partner -- someone who managed to carry Tennyson at times early in the season (not that Tennyson was good) and helped move the needle mightily on Risto's underlying stats.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Can't get too excited when his possession stats are below average.
"Below average" is very, very generous. He makes 2016 Risto look like a world beater.
12b4367c78.png

Hockey is strange and confusing and I hate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00