Prospect Info: Casey Nelson (2016 via UFA) – '15-16: Buffalo #34 (NHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sabres sign defenseman Casey Nelson. Tim Murray's comments: “We’ve been consistently impressed with Casey’s play for the last two years. We identified him as one of the top college free agents available and we’re excited to have him join the organization.†Confirmed with Link thread.

HF's blurb on Nelson:
Casey Nelson, D
Junior, Minnesota State University-Mankato (WCHA)

One of the hottest commodities on the college hockey free agent market this season is Minnesota State-Mankato junior defenseman Casey Nelson. The Wisconsin Rapids, WI native enjoyed a breakout season as a sophomore and has developmentally built on that this season. Nelson currently leads the Mavericks in scoring by a defenseman with 20 points (four goals, 16 assists) in 34 games to date. He also leads the team with a +14 rating.

Nelson is a 6’2â€, 182-pound offensive defenseman. His superb combination of fluid skating and puck-moving ability has scouts clamoring to get glimpses of him. Nelson is an excellent skater who has good speed and agility. He is blessed with great hands, moves the puck exceedingly well and has shown that he can make some beautiful, tape-to-tape passes. He can also quarterback the power play. In addition, Nelson can get pucks to the net and his shot is quite good.

One notable area where Nelson has steadily improved and developed is in his defensive positioning. He has learned to use his frame, strength and reach more effectively in keeping opposing players to the outside while taking away open spaces.

LWOS's blurb on Nelson:
Casey Nelson, Right Defense, Minnesota State Mankato, Junior (6’2″ 183 lbs)

The 23-year-old is likely the most sought after free agent defenceman in this class. He has put up 4 goals and 20 points in 33 games this year. Nelson has ideal size and a right handed shot that will contribute to him being very sought after. He is a strong skater with good speed and accleration in both directions, and strong pivots. This helps in all aspects of his game, as he moves the puck effectively and can lead the rush or join as a trailer. He makes smart passes on the breakout or in controlling the puck at the blue line and has an accurate wrist shot, and a good slapshot. When defending his skating allows him to be able to keep the attackers in front of him and force them to the outside. He could stand to add a little more muscle to his frame and be a little more physical going forward, but has the opportunity to be an effective two-way defenceman at the NHL level. He’ll need a little bit of AHL time to develop though, as he isn’t as dominant and NHL ready as a Danny Dekeyser was a couple of years ago.

SBN's article and blurb on Nelson:
Nelson is a skilled offensive defenseman that is tremendous at creating his own shot. He is calm and poised in the offensive zone and sees the ice well. He's really improved defensively over the past two seasons as well to become a player that plays major minutes for Minnesota State in every situation. He has potential as a second pairing defenseman at the NHL level that can provide some scoring punch from the blue line.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm almost more excited for Nelson than Fasching. The unknown and all. I'm guessing Cola takes a seat on Saturday so they can get him in.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm almost more excited for Nelson than Fasching. The unknown and all. I'm guessing Cola takes a seat on Saturday so they can get him in.

Swing Pysyk to the left side and give them the easier matchups would give them an opportunity to see more of what they have. The range between DeKeyser and Ruhwedel is just too wide, need to see some game action to begin to feel that out.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Seems like he's better than Ruh at the same point in time. How that translates though, or how he develops remains to be seen.

6'2, Tremendous skater, and very good puck mover with solid vision. Could be a quality top 4 NHL dman or a top AHL dman, only time will tell at this point. I trust Murray's eye for talent and he was tracking Nelson for 2 years so I think he sees him as an NHL dman down the line.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Cola taking a seat would be lovely but he's a RHD so I'd expect Bylsma to do something stupid like take Pysyk out and pair Nelson with Colaiacovo.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Sounds like from his interview it came down to a few teams and he went with the one who was willing to burn this year and give him NHL games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would assume Pysyk goes to LD.

Funny that Nelson was interested due to the young players but by his own admission wasn't paying all that much attention to defensemen handedness in making his decision.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This college free agent thing is pretty cool. All the talk on here about lineups and rosters and prospects and trades and the draft and then a new kid who I've never heard mentioned on here anywhere until this week just drops onto the Sabres roster and he's playing tomorrow. I wonder if GMTM can pick up anyone else as the Frozen Four knocks teams out.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I would assume Pysyk goes to LD.

Funny that Nelson was interested due to the young players but by his own admission wasn't paying all that much attention to defensemen handedness in making his decision.

Well...there may be right handed guys here...but I bet Murray told him that as far as right handed puck moving guys it isn't like that. Pysyk is good at moving it out quick. Bogo is good at jumping into play. Neither is all that much at carrying the puck up ice. Which is clearly a trait they covet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad