Prospect Info: Casey Nelson (2016 via UFA) – '15-16: Buffalo #34 (NHL)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This college free agent thing is pretty cool. All the talk on here about lineups and rosters and prospects and trades and the draft and then a new kid who I've never heard mentioned on here anywhere until this week just drops onto the Sabres roster and he's playing tomorrow. I wonder if GMTM can pick up anyone else as the Frozen Four knocks teams out.

Drake Caggiula please and thank you.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well...there may be right handed guys here...but I bet Murray told him that as far as right handed puck moving guys it isn't like that. Pysyk is good at moving it out quick. Bogo is good at jumping into play. Neither is all that much at carrying the puck up ice. Which is clearly a trait they covet.

I like Nelson's skillset and they certainly need long-term depth. Sanguinetti and Donovan aren't really solid options and I don't expect either back. Ruh... I don't know. He's sort of plateaued and that's not a great thing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He REALLY stood out in Prospects camp for me before I even knew who he was.

Watching the UND - NE game on ESPNU right now. :)

Yep. He's got a lot that I like even though he's undersized -- that chip on his shoulder and his speed, hand-skills and finish are top notch.

Back to Nelson... I'm hoping for the best here. Can't wait to see how he does.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Yep. He's got a lot that I like even though he's undersized -- that chip on his shoulder and his speed, hand-skills and finish are top notch.

Back to Nelson... I'm hoping for the best here. Can't wait to see how he does.

It must be like herding cats sometimes when you're trying to keep us on topic :)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@amymoritz -

GOAL: Fasching drives the nets and gets his first pro goal. Welcome to the NHL Minnesota.

Hey Casey Nelson assisted on the Fasching goal. That's his first pro point in his first pro game, too. #MinnesotaState

@SabresPR -

With an assist on Hudson Fasching's goal, Casey Nelson recorded the first point of his NHL career.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It just occurred to me that, because it's a stupid stat, he didn't even get a plus for the goal he assisted on because he'd gone to the bench. Since he was a +1 anyway and one went in off of him...he was on the ice for the other two goals we scored as well.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - assisted on Girgensons and Reinhart goals late third period which brought the Sabres within one goal of the Red Wings.
Unfortunately they couldn't get the equalizer and lost the game 3-2.
Loved how he fake the shot at the point and instead saw Reinhart on the side whose shot resulted in the second goal.
90% of the time rookies would have shot that and the shot would have been blocked.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

LaxSabre - assisted on Girgensons and Reinhart goals late third period which brought the Sabres within one goal of the Red Wings.
Unfortunately they couldn't get the equalizer and lost the game 3-2.
Loved how he fake the shot at the point and instead saw Reinhart on the side whose shot resulted in the second goal.
90% of the time rookies would have shot that and the shot would have been blocked.

Nelson didn't assist on Girg's goal. Risto did along with Gionta.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Nelson didn't assist on Girg's goal. Risto did along with Gionta.

I was just going to come here and make the correction. Should have watch the play again and not go by what the Sabres posted in that tweet - sigh.
Not sure what the person who does the Sabres twitter was seeing. Nelson was the other side of the ice nowhere near the puck on the Girgensons goal.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
More imortantly than +- (fun fact...he didn't get a + on his first NHL point because +- is a useless stat that credited Risto for stepping on the ice instead of Nelson for making the play and stepping off) Nelson was the one and only player the Sabres had last night that saw us take more shots than were taken on us when he was out there.

He has been on the ice for every goal we've scored (5) since we signed him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
More imortantly than +- (fun fact...he didn't get a + on his first NHL point because +- is a useless stat that credited Risto for stepping on the ice instead of Nelson for making the play and stepping off) Nelson was the one and only player the Sabres had last night that saw us take more shots than were taken on us when he was out there.

He has been on the ice for every goal we've scored (5) since we signed him.

Not to mention the shots for/against was heavily favored when he was on the ice as well in the first game.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Every tentative roster for next year I've seen posted on here doesn't have Nelson on it, and I think we've all assumed he would need to start next year in Rochester, but if keeps playing this way and then puts on a little size over the summer, why wouldn't he make the Sabres out of training camp?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Every tentative roster for next year I've seen posted on here doesn't have Nelson on it, and I think we've all assumed he would need to start next year in Rochester, but if keeps playing this way and then puts on a little size over the summer, why wouldn't he make the Sabres out of training camp?
I don't think people like the implications. He's not a LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad