Weekes: Casey Mittelstadt "drawing a lot of attention"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Outside fan perspective, but I think they’re better off trading Cozens for key roster guys than Mittlestadt.

they obviously don’t need more picks and prospects. They need PK’ers, defensive forwards, a RHD, and some other role type of guys. Mittlestadt has developed into a two way centerman and is only going to get better. They need guys like him.

Cozens is not a good center and his defensive play is suspect to say the least. He’s still got a lot of growing left to do and perhaps Buffalo would be wise to get some more ready now, NHL veteran guys. Rather than wait and hope Cozens develops his 200ft game, just keep the guy who has been through it all and is now finally starting to reach to his full potential in Mittlestadt.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Doubt Cozens returns a haul, there's a lot of risk there with that contract.
Sure there’s risk but it goes both ways. If he were made available there would definitely be strong interest from other GMs imo. He didn’t start the year great but he has been playing injured.

Reactions: LokiDog

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What are they going to trade him for? futures? That ain’t happening. Not in year 13 of a drought with more futures than anyone in the league already. No one is giving you something you need for him because teams looking to acquire him aren’t giving you a player.

And no….futures can’t be turned into players in other moves. Not here. Not by Adams

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Somebody is going to waste assets on this guy
What assets? The last thing Adams can do is trade his leading scorer for picks or prospects after waiting on his development because he paid everyone else instead.

no more futures. They have all the futures. They need any of the now. Can’t get even younger. Have a half dozen top prospects waiting to make them younger already

as usual…a no win situation involving Kevyn Adams.

unless another bottom feeder wants to swap for their own Mittelstadt level player.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

I saw in the replies to the tweet that Sabres fans want nothing to do with it. I'm a Canes fan; I know what that frustration is like. So, I will point out the framing. Weekes did not say that he was available. This could just be wishful thinking on the part of contending clubs as they map out their deadline strategy.

However, if Buffalo were to make him available, there is justification for it:

- As an arb eligible RFA at the end of the season with 1 year of control left, a decision on his long-term future is coming soon.
- Thompson and Cozens are locked up long-term. Skinner's going nowhere. Tuch's next contract is 2 years away. The Sabres have invested substantial draft capital in forwards in recent years. They could add to that hoard in June with yet another high pick.
- The 2024 rental forward market is underwhelming, at least imo. With his numbers, the potential for a strong return is there as a quality non-rental.

Big question is: can he do a pullup now?

Reactions: rams and VaporTrail

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What assets? The last thing Adams can do is trade his leading scorer for picks or prospects after waiting on his development because he paid everyone else instead.

no more futures. They have all the futures. They need any of the now. Can’t get even younger. Have a half dozen top prospects waiting to make them younger already

unless another bottom feeder wants to swap for their own Mittelstadt level player.
Mittelstadt sucks so it doesn't matter.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I feel this is also true. The Sabres even they got a strong return paper aren’t really in a position to get a guy who can contribute right away unless there’s a genuine hockey trade to be made where a team feels they have a surplus where Buffalo has a need. Not quite the same because he’s already a full time pro, but a trade like the Gauthier/Drysdale situation makes some sense, if it’s out there.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I would absolutely love to have him in Winnipeg and would pay steeply for him, but would legitimately feel bad for Buffalo for taking him, regardless of the cost, because he would take off. Buffalo doesn't deserve more of the ROR, Eichel, etc trend.
I would make every prospect available if we could add and extend him he would solve our top 6 for years problem is buffalo does not need prospects

Reactions: Tasteless Beaver

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
25 year old who has rounded into a decent two way player and is at 39 points in 45 games. I’m guessing there’s a market…
Yeah, if you want a guy half-assing it, not shooting, not hitting, lucking into points, passenger, he can get a bunch of secondary assists playing with your stars I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
As an outsider who wants them to turn the corner, they need their own Lehkonen and Nuke, as well as a Tanev type. Colorado isn’t moving those guys, but that’s what Buffalo really needs.
They probably need to get rid of Skinner and just go on a shopping spree for the tanev types. including using some assets even if it seems like an overpayment. Getting an EJ, Cliffton, greenway are half measures.

A nuke type you basically have win the proscout lottery.

Reactions: LokiDog

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
This guy has to be the most underrated in the league. He has 1 less ES point than Thompson in the last 2 years, while playing a better two way game with far worse linemates...

His 5v5 scoring rate of 2.51 p/60 over that time would indicate he's capable of producing like a 1C.

Buffalo should do everything they can to extend him.

He would get a lot more than a first.
I think the plan is to offer him a 5-6 year lock up deal. He is good friends with Dahlin as well.

If he was dealt, I’d hope for 1st good young forward that can fit in the lineup right now

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
They probably need to get rid of Skinner and just go on a shopping spree for the tanev types. including using some assets even if it seems like an overpayment. Getting an EJ, Cliffton, greenway are half measures.

A nuke type you basically have win the proscout lottery.

Yeah, Nuke is a unicorn. But identifying a Gourde or Nick Paul or Coleman (at the point in their career when Tampa identified each) would do wonders for them.

Reactions: RandV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad