Weekes: Casey Mittelstadt "drawing a lot of attention"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Would be surprised if Buffalo moves him -- but if true, Avs have to get in on this. Would move Byram; but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a need in Buffalo.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Would pay so much to get him on the Avs....

The issue is the Avs don't really have what Buffalo would need since our most valuable asset(Byram) is a LD.

Unless Buffalo ended up selling for futures but that feels unlikely given they already have so many good futures.

Reactions: Insidefi and Avs44

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Buffalo should be looking to get better, not trading 25 year olds for futures. You have to start building a winning culture, and you don't do that by trading away good young players for assets a bit younger. Buffalo could be a good team within the next 2-3 years, and Mittelstadt will be only 27/28.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This guy has to be the most underrated in the league. He has 1 less ES point than Thompson in the last 2 years, while playing a better two way game with far worse linemates...

His 5v5 scoring rate of 2.51 p/60 over that time would indicate he's capable of producing like a 1C.

Buffalo should do everything they can to extend him.
Oh man they might even get a 1st round pick for him. Think of all the potential.
He would get a lot more than a first.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Mittelstadt is the Sabres most consistent player going back to the middle of last season. He wins most board battles, plays smart and has a good amount of offensive talent.

I have zero doubt he could walk onto a contender and be a successful 2C. Trading him only makes sense if he has stated that he absolutely will not re-sign under any circumstances.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's leading their team in scoring? Why move him? Unless he wants out I don't get it. He's still quite young and versatile
Young playmaker popping off in a contract year? If they have a plan to target a big upgrade in a trade, yeah, you should probably trade him before he starts disappointing you at the bigger cap hit.

Not overly versatile player IMO. Not physical, low shot volume, not a big goal scorer, doesn't PK, not great on the draw...

I trade him if I'm Buffalo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Linda

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Young playmaker popping off in a contract year? If they have a plan to target a big upgrade in a trade, yeah, you should probably trade him before he starts disappointing you at the bigger cap hit.

Not overly versatile player IMO. Not physical, low shot volume, not a big goal scorer, doesn't PK, not physical, not great on the draw...

I trade him if I'm Buffalo.
Mittelstadt’s value to us comes in his ability to win puck battles and play along the walls which none of our players can do.

Reactions: dire wolf

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Mittelstadt’s value to us comes in his ability to win puck battles and play along the walls which none of our players can do.
How's his game gonna look to Buffalo fans when he's making North of $6m a year though. Especially knowing he's not far removed from some less than favorable production.

I see Buffalo's pipeline and see there's eventually going to be a forward or two that won't be getting the best opportunity.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I wanted Winnipeg to trade for him last year...buy low type scenario. What the Jets can / should offer now would probably not interest the Sabres now.

Reactions: hn777

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I doubt he's really available but if he is, I expect a number of teams will be interested including the Canucks

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I saw in the replies to the tweet that Sabres fans want nothing to do with it. I'm a Canes fan; I know what that frustration is like. So, I will point out the framing. Weekes did not say that he was available. This could just be wishful thinking on the part of contending clubs as they map out their deadline strategy.

However, if Buffalo were to make him available, there is justification for it:

- As an arb eligible RFA at the end of the season with 1 year of control left, a decision on his long-term future is coming soon.
- Thompson and Cozens are locked up long-term. Skinner's going nowhere. Tuch's next contract is 2 years away. The Sabres have invested substantial draft capital in forwards in recent years. They could add to that hoard in June with yet another high pick.
- The 2024 rental forward market is underwhelming, at least imo. With his numbers, the potential for a strong return is there as a quality non-rental.

I appreciate the info and framing, honestly. My first reaction is “hands off our Mitts”, but you’re right, you gotta listen to offers, and he would potentially be the easiest guy to move. Unless it’s a massive overpay I think it’d be a mistake, but it depends on a lot of things.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If he can be a 2C I would think the Avs would be willing to move a lot for him.
I really doubt the Avs will be as aggressive or motivated as you want them to be until Nuke stabilizes.

The Avs can’t win a cup without that guy. He’s so key to their identity. I bet they’ll chill until they figure out if he’s coming back or not. They’ve got enough points to just keep playing this way. Esp with key players like Byram and Lex back.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I know Buffalo has a mind to keep him and are really pleased with how he has developed. 99% of the time I would agree that moving him would be idiotic.

However, none of Buffalo’s forward core is particularly physical or diverse. Peterka and Quinn seem to be trending as long term fixtures. Tuch looks like the next captain. Skinner, Thompson, Cozens aren’t going anywhere. That’s six top-6 types already. Benson is already with the big club. Kulich, Savoie and Rosen are all like… right on the doorstep. They need actual bottom six players and to inject some grit and leadership into their group.

Looking at roster construction and the forwards on the NHL club and knocking on the NHL door, they certainly have a surplus of talented forwards. Mitts is setting himself up for a decent pay day right now, and while I don’t think the Cozens signing was a mistake at all, he has taken a bit of a backwards step this year (he’s still a good player and will be a very good player most of his contract). Similarly Power didn’t progress or carry his level of play. I would maybe aim to avoid giving another large contract out when they clearly need to find a way to alter the DNA of the group they have. They should identify 4-5 current roster forwards, 1-2 prospects, and start weaponizing the remaining pieces to affect the change their roster needs. Whether that’s bottom six veterans (who aren’t over the hill) and a gritty forward to mix up the top-six recipe, a steady defensive RHD who can handle 20 minutes, a stop gap veteran goalie to platoon with their youth or whatever they decide… collecting finesse forwards under 6’ by the truckload probably isn’t going to lead them where they want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad