Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree with all of this. The speed was definitely overwhelming him most of the time, and he indeed has a lot to work on in the defensive zone. Which was all expected.

I was very happy with his play in general. One season in the AHL will do wonders for him.

I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This would be the opposite of what Phil wants to coach though, he wants a fast transitioning team. I know you said it's not a big deal but you essentially said that we should coach Mittelstadt to dumb down his game because he's playing with mental midgets like Beaulieu. lol
Having to adjust is a part and parcel of situational awareness, some call it a part of hockey IQ. But no matter what its label, the kid is on a learning curve, at least, the end of this season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I saw him cheating on the breakout a lot. He's got the speed he doesn't need to do that, and a coach is going to ride him for that. Not letting his man go in the defensive zone will obviously be what he has to focus on. I'm not worried about his offense at all.

I didn't see much of that. I saw someone taking off as he's supposed to and continually scrambling back into the our end when the D botched the breakout pass/clear attempt.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't think it'd hurt to have him start next season in Rochester, and then re-evaluate between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not going to be happy if we simply have him penciled in as one of our top-9 C's next season and don't do anything to address that area in the offseason.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’d like Mittelstadt to start in Rochester as much as everyone else. botterill essentially said that Casey is playing in the NHL next year

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Its worth remembering he hadn't played a hockey game for 26 days before yesterday. Many NHLers would look a little off returning after that long let alone a college kid transitioning to the NHL for his first game.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulmm3

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Its worth remembering he hadn't played a hockey game for 26 days before yesterday. Many NHLers would look a little off returning after that long let alone a college kid transitioning to the NHL for his first game.

It’s also worth remembering how old he is. Many NHLers would need more development.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It’s also worth remembering how old he is. Many NHLers would need more development.

I'm not referring to his developing. I'm talking about how he looked last night in relation to some comments about him being taking aback by the speed and looking lost at times. NHL teams have looked sloppy and a step slow after their bye weeks. 26 days without playing is an awfully long time. I was actually surprised he didn't look worse.

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He looks fine out there. He's got the wheels and the skill to keep up. Just gotta work on his defensive game.

If he had to build his confidence on offense then I'd want him in the AHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Doug Prishpreed

I said in another post responding to you that I don't see him in Rochester. I based that on what Botts said after signing him not based on me thinking that he doesn't belong there. I have no idea whats best for him developmentally right now. I'm certainly not making any judgments based on last night. From my pov there are a lot things on his plate between now and training camp. He has the rest of the Sabres season, probably World Championships after that, full offseason of training and training camp leading into preseason games. After that we should have a better idea of where he's at in terms of NHL readiness.

Reactions: dire wolf

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
@Doug Prishpreed

I said in another post responding to you that I don't see him in Rochester. I based that on what Botts said after signing him not based on me thinking that he doesn't belong there. I have no idea whats best for him developmentally right now. I'm certainly not making any judgments based on last night. From my pov there are a lot things on his plate between now and training camp. He has the rest of the Sabres season, probably World Championships after that, full offseason of training and training camp leading into preseason games. After that we should have a better idea of where he's at in terms of NHL readiness.

Sounds like we're on the same page here :thumbu:

Reactions: joshjull

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm not referring to his developing. I'm talking about how he looked last night in relation to some comments about him being taking aback by the speed and looking lost at times. NHL teams have looked sloppy and a step slow after their bye weeks. 26 days without playing is an awfully long time. I was actually surprised he didn't look worse.

That's probably why he played only 12:53. It'll be interesting to see how he handles these last 5 games.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I don't think it'd hurt to have him start next season in Rochester, and then re-evaluate between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not going to be happy if we simply have him penciled in as one of our top-9 C's next season and don't do anything to address that area in the offseason.
I agree.

Mittelstadt needs #1 PP time and 15+ minutes to build on his pro game. Having him buried on the 3rd line getting minimal PP/PK TIME isn't good for his development .

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It kind of depends on what roles they want to fill going forward. Sam is net-front/low on PP1. Jack is half-wall on PP1. O'Reilly works well in that triangle offense they've developed. That leaves the Okposo and Risto/point guy.

If they want to just load up on the first unit, I could see them working Casey in on the right in place of KO, but it seems more likely that he gets to work magic without a lot of help on unit 2 for a time.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Team needs more skill and speed, but people here still want Mittelstadt in the ahl next season.... like cmon only the Sabres fanbase would think thats needed, yet everywhere else all the young guys are playing big roles on their nhl clubs. Mittelstadt is playing on this team next season.

I was just thinking the same thing.

I find it funny how some wanted to make broad sweeping comments about him after one game. “He needs to go to the AHL”. “The game is too fast” blah blah blah

One game later ... 180 deg. different comments. :laugh:
Have an opinion about a game? A play? A period? Sure, I get that. We all do. But to knee jerk what he is or isn’t after one or two games is just lame IMO.
How about this ... watch him play 6 games in the NHL, then have a decent period of time to actually judge what he is or isn’t. :dunno:
Whether he looks good or bad, he’ll need hard training and effective direction over the summer to look good and ready next training camp.

Reactions: Dingo44

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He’s gonna struggle with the workload, but AHL or NHL

Lots of people thought he should’ve stayed in college. That’s what was silly

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I was just thinking the same thing.

I find it funny how some wanted to make broad sweeping comments about him after one game. “He needs to go to the AHL”. “The game is too fast” blah blah blah

One game later ... 180 deg. different comments. :laugh:
Have an opinion about a game? A play? A period? Sure, I get that. We all do. But to knee jerk what he is or isn’t after one or two games is just lame IMO.
How about this ... watch him play 6 games in the NHL, then have a decent period of time to actually judge what he is or isn’t. :dunno:
Whether he looks good or bad, he’ll need hard training and effective direction over the summer to look good and ready next training camp.
No kidding. This kid is light years ahead of anyone in our current bottom 6 and some of our top 6 guys. How he isnt on the Sabres next season would be shocking. I guess people just enjoy watching Jordan Nolan and knowing our young stud is slow cooking in the minors lol.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I flip flop on the idea myself. Normally I don't buy into the slow cooking method for this team as it lacks depth at many positions so playing time shouldn't be an issue but at the Center position it might be an exception to the rule for me. We have Eichel and ROR already down the middle and I'm not sure I like the idea of Mittelstadt playing 12 minutes a night on the 3rd line with how high I think his ceiling is...even though he would obviously make this team better and more enjoyable to watch.

However if they end up wanting him at wing then of course he should be up with the team next season, we have 0 winger depth, so there is no problem with him being in the top 6.

Maybe Mitts can replace ROR as the #2 Center eventually but that's a year away at least. If Mitts at Center is the way they want to go then I think ROR is traded while he still holds value after next season.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I flip flop on the idea myself. Normally I don't buy into the slow cooking method for this team as it lacks depth at many positions so playing time shouldn't be an issue but at the Center position it might be an exception to the rule for me. We have Eichel and ROR already down the middle and I'm not sure I like the idea of Mittelstadt playing 12 minutes a night on the 3rd line with how high I think his ceiling is...even though he would obviously make this team better and more enjoyable to watch.

However if they end up wanting him at wing then of course he should be up with the team next season, we have 0 winger depth, so there is no problem with him being in the top 6.

Maybe Mitts can replace ROR as the #2 Center eventually but that's a year away at least. If Mitts at Center is the way they want to go then I think ROR is traded while he still holds value after next season.
I think that's fine as long as the "3rd line" gives him adequate wing support. Which ERod and Okposo should be, on paper. He gets to see the game at an NHL level, contribute and grow without getting thrown to the wolves so to speak.

If he starts getting paired up with the likes of Nolan, Larsson, etc... then I don't think there's much value in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad