Confirmed with Link: Casey Fitzgerald (2016, 86th) – '18-19: Boston College #5 (NCAA) SIGNED

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Kids pretty solid idk why so many are discouraged.

.69 PPG pace as a freshman defenseman at BC? Ill take that. We will see him at the WJC next season.

Probably because he's an overager and we took him higher than most lists had him. I've read NHL teams actually have a higher hit rate on overage players at the draft since they're more developed/easier to project, though, so I'm not sure I'd use that as a strike against him.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He went higher than projected because of NHL bloodlines. Players like him always get scooped up and they must not have wanted to take a chance.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Probably because he's an overager and we took him higher than most lists had him. I've read NHL teams actually have a higher hit rate on overage players at the draft since they're more developed/easier to project, though, so I'm not sure I'd use that as a strike against him.

Toronto took a few overagers, as well.

As analytics come into play more, it will be interesting to see if overagers go higher than they have recently.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not a great game for Casey. Looked overmatched at times, and overdoing it others. Maybe he was just wound up, but he had one of the worst games of any draftee.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Fitzgerald's at the USAH NJEC this week on Team White .. today's day three .. exhibition vs Sweden this afternoon, then vs Finland tomorrow, followed by cuts on Tuesday to a single squad .. TSN networks will air some games from then on (Aug 3-6): http://www.tsn.ca/world-junior-summer-showcase-to-be-broadcast-live-on-tsn-1.533692 .. whole tournament's available via subscription on Fast Hockey too .. further, he and Asplund are the only Sabres property participating among the four nations.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
further, he's the only Sabre property participating among the four nations.

I thought Rasmus Asplund was playing for Sweden?

Edit - I see Woodhouse added Asplund to his post.

If you are not getting the video - you can still follow the United States games via their twitter feed - @USAHockeyScores

Would be cool in the future to get this event here in Buffalo - play the games at the HarborCenter.
Maybe next summer? give us a preview of the World Juniors that will be in Buffalo at the end of the year.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
No need to watch online at FastHockey.com later this week - you can watch Fitz (well if he makes the team) LIVE on your telle!

NHL Network will televise the final six games from this week's USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan.
Wednesday, August 3 - Canada vs Finland - 1:00 pm ET - United States vs Sweden - 4:00 pm ET.
Friday, August 5 - Sweden vs Canada - 1:00 pm ET - United States vs Finland - 4:00 pm ET.
Saturday, August 6 - Sweden vs Finland - 4:00 pm ET - United States vs Canada - 7:00 pm ET.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Casey Fitzgerald evened the game (United States White 2 Finland 2) just :33 into the middle frame when his slap shot from the top of the circle beat Finland’s Veini Vehvillainen while on the power play. Clayton Keller and Kieffer Bellows were credited with assists on the play.
http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/675101?referrer_id=701370

Stats - United States White - #7 - Casey Fitzgerald - 1 Goal - 2nd Period - 0:33 - Power-Play Goal - Assists - #9 Kieffer Bellows - #17 Clayton Keller.
0 Assists - 1 Point - 1 Shot On Goal - 0 Penalty Minutes - 0 +/-.
http://teamusa.usahockey.com/game/show/13161126?subseason=284701&referrer=2399322

@usahockey - FINAL - USA White defeats Finland 8-2 at National Junior Evaluation Camp. #NJEC

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Casey having a real nice game in this ass kicking of Canada tonight, looks like a real solid pick for TM in the 3rd round.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Looked real good today. Skates and passes the puck well. Broke up a dangerous rush too.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
A number of times he showed a real good stick defensively, getting it in the passing lanes and breaking up plays. Hero pass to Boeser for the primary on that last goal and I think he had the secondary on the Greenway tac-tac-toe.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -
(BUF) Casey Fitzgerald paired with Ryan Lindgren (BOS) for tonight's tilt vs Canada.
Fitzgerald tripped up Strome, catches him with a high stick on his way to the ice. Fitzgerald sits for two, but United States kills it off.
Good example of Fitzgerald's upper-body strength a moment ago. Howden protecting puck, Fitzgerald shoves him to ice. United States rush the other way.
Fitzgerald forced to defend a 2v1, takes away the pass and breaks it up. He's settled in with a good two-way effort thus far.
Casey Fitzgerald (BUF) gets an assist as Brock Boeser (VAN) sets up at the top of the circle and slings one inside the post for a PPG.
Fitzgerald finishes with one assist - two shots on goal- two penalty minutes as United States defeats Canada 5-1.

Ralonzo - Hero pass to Boeser for the primary on that last goal and I think he had the secondary on the Greenway tac-tac-toe.
LaxSabre - Unfortunately, it looks like Fitzgerald was the third assist there on the tic-tac-toe goal.

Jordan Greenway extended United States lead to 2-0 when he tapped in a pass from Kieffer Bellows with 1:12 remaining in the first period. Brock Boeser sent a cross-ice fed to the right point where Keller whipped a pass down to Bellows at the right face-off dot who one-timed it to Greenway alone in front for the tap-in goal. http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/676810?referrer_id=701370

United States Goal#2 - First Period - 18:48 - Goal-#12-Jordan Greenway - Assists-#9-Kieffer Bellows - #11-Clayton Keller.
http://teamusa.usahockey.com/game/show/13161142

Last edited:

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...-crouse-top-standouts-wjc-evaluation-camp-nhl
ESPN Insider: Thompson, McAvoy among standout players at WJC evaluation camp

Casey Fitzgerald, D, Buffalo Sabres
Drafted: No. 86, 2016

Fitzgerald went undrafted in 2015, but after a strong 2016 in which he nearly made the U.S. team for the WJC, Buffalo selected him in the third round of the 2016 draft. He continues to show significant progression in his game. He is a very good skater with great edge work who moves the puck well and is effective joining the attack. While he's small (5-foot-11, 185 pounds) and not great defensively, the strides he's made in his own end have led to the point where Fitzgerald showed he could be one of his team's more reliable defensemen.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Casey Fitzgerald (Boston College) at Wisconsin - Friday, October 14 - 8:00 pm ET - LIVE - Fox College Sports Atlantic.
(Replays - Saturday, October 15 - 2:00 am ET - Fox College Sports Central - 5:30 pm ET - Fox College Sports Atlantic.)

Casey Fitzgerald (Boston College) at Wisconsin - Sunday, October 16 - 4:00 pm ET - LIVE - ESPNU.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Kid is second in the nation in defensive scoring. The guy is first is a senior and nearly three full years older.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Kid is second in the nation in defensive scoring. The guy is first is a senior and nearly three full years older.

I mentioned him in another thread about 2 weeks ago. I get that all the love is for Borgen right now but he could do very well. I think Werenski was the only underclassman defenseman that outscored him last year when he was a freshman.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
13 points in 15 games for Fitzgerald (+7 on the year...he was a -4 today, though)

For reference, teammate Colin White (the guy Ottawa picked in the Lehner deal) also has 13 points in 15 games.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
13 points in 15 games for Fitzgerald (+7 on the year...he was a -4 today, though)

For reference, teammate Colin White (the guy Ottawa picked in the Lehner deal) also has 13 points in 15 games.

Keep in mind on that reference that White is a forward.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Can see why Murray jumped to take this kid a bit earlier than most projected him. Seems like he had a hunch about his development track.

EDIT: Roster looks strong and experienced at first glance, minus goalkeeping perhaps. Don't know much about Parsons aside from draft pedigree.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Casey Fitzgerald/Christopher Brown and the Boston College Eagles play Cal Petersen/Connor Hurley and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish tonight.
You can watch the game LIVE on NBC Sports Network (and online at NBC Sports . com via the LIVE Extra feed) starting at 7:00 pm ET.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Casey Fitzgerald/Christopher Brown and the Boston College Eagles play Cal Petersen/Connor Hurley and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish tonight.
You can watch the game LIVE on NBC Sports Network (and online at NBC Sports . com via the LIVE Extra feed) starting at 7:00 pm ET.

I only caught the last few minutes of the game, but I thought it was pretty cool to see both Fitzgerald and Brown on the ice with 1min left in the game and Boston down by a goal.

And wow, what an absolutely amazing save by Cal Peterson at the end there to keep the lead!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The write-ups from last season talking about his lack of physical play... but he has dialed that up here at the WJC's. That bodes well for playoff hockey and his compete dovetailing with his ability to move the puck.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
How was he against Canada? I missed the first two periods because of ice messing with the dish.

Against Slovakia I thought he was the worst player for the US. Against better competition in Russia and at least in the 3rd against Canada I thought he was possibly the best player on the ice..but could just be bias :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad