Confirmed with Link: Casey Fitzgerald (2016, 86th) – '18-19: Boston College #5 (NCAA) SIGNED

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The Sabres have last year's captains of Boston University, Boston College (BOTH co-captains), and the captain of the U18 USA team in the same camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting to hear him talk about the Sabres being supportive of his decision to get his degree. There is always hand-wringing at the end of a collegiate career, yet he seems like someone they won't have a hard time signing once he's done with his season.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Interesting to hear him talk about the Sabres being supportive of his decision to get his degree. There is always hand-wringing at the end of a collegiate career, yet he seems like someone they won't have a hard time signing once he's done with his season.

The only thing that concerns me is that his father works for the Devils. But on the other hand I heard Botts recently talk about how him and Fitzgerald Sr. worked together with the Pens. So who knows. But unlike the earlier posts from a couple of months ago I've heard Botts mention this kid's name a couple of times.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s not like the right d pipeline is exactly loaded in front of him. I’d be more worried if he was a left.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

This is why I wish they could sign seniors after July 1 this year that don’t affect until July 1 next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The only thing that concerns me is that his father works for the Devils. But on the other hand I heard Botts recently talk about how him and Fitzgerald Sr. worked together with the Pens. So who knows. But unlike the earlier posts from a couple of months ago I've heard Botts mention this kid's name a couple of times.

They are paying attention and I for one am not all that worried. He's a good kid, there is going to be some opportunity in Buffalo... no issue.

Reactions: Dingo44

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Honestly a little surprised he got an ELC from them.

Hopefully he can be a decent depth piece for us one day though.

I'm not all that surprised. His growth curve earlier in his career was pretty solid. There still might be something there.

I don't expect anything more than a Nelson-like 6/7 guy, but he could surprise. He's what this regime looks for in a Dman.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
One of the hidden benefits of being a Sabres fan is we learn when certain baby names were popular. For example about 20 years ago a lot of babies were being named Casey. You can't put a price on this kind of knowledge. So remember despite all the doom and gloom, the perpetual losing, the mind numbing insanity of watching the same mistakes being repeated, and the caustic erosion of civilized behavior, you are still reaping a priceless reward from your allegiance to the Sabres. This kind of shit is not sold in stores, nor can it be purchased through late night infomertials on TV. I can't wait for Rayzor to ask Casey to tell the story behind his name.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Good signing. At 22, he represents the (potential) depth that an organization needs. Hope he pans out. For the next several years he can grow and then support the program in Roch and then become the next Casey Nelson/Nathan Beaulieu as the 6/7/8 D man in the organization. But hey - you never know......

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Quite surprised. Figured they'd let him walk. Hasn't he had a rough year? (I know the previous 2 were solid)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Quite surprised. Figured they'd let him walk. Hasn't he had a rough year? (I know the previous 2 were solid)

BC was not good and he isn’t the sort to be able to turn the ship himself. He will row with the rest of the oarsmen but he is no tiller.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
BC was not good and he isn’t the sort to be able to turn the ship himself. He will row with the rest of the oarsmen but he is no tiller.
Tea_for_the_Tillerman

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

For context, in recent years, this award has gone out to Dumoulin, Manson, Santini, etc.

Remember, he is only a year off from winning best defensive defenseman in his conference. He is another guy who could carve out a niche being the responsible one on a pair. His offense dried up this year but that also had a lot to do with BC not being good or scoring much comparatively. He can still move the puck, still gets involved physically, but he isn’t able to move the needle in his own enough. Should be interesting to see how he develops as a pro.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't trust defensive defensemen to make the NHL out of the NCAA; but I'll be happy to be wrong.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
A Blast from the past. (Leafs Insider Issue 2 -- 2002-03)
100_1096.JPG
100_1095.JPG

Blurry, I know. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->