Confirmed with Link: Casey DeSmith re-signed 2 years $1.8m AAV

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so numbers wise this is a solid signing. maybe even a team friendly one.
that said I'm having a hard time liking it. I like how DeSmith plays when he's on his game. The problem is last season he caused Jarry to be played more then intended because he was crap until march/april.

Regardless. Our last 2 playoff exits our team out played the other team, statistically we beat on the Rangers at or above 2016 cup run levels yet lost due to goal tending.

Both times we had a Jarry/DeSmith pairing, DeSmith unable to play in both runs. Jarry unable to to play at a good level both times. So now we go down the definition of insanity path and say let's do the exact same thing again?
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” That witticism—I'll call it “Einstein Insanity”—is usually attributed to Albert Einstein.Sep 23, 2015
I get the numbers, I get the "how likely is it they both either suck or are hurt a 3rd time in a row?"
But if they bring Malkin/Letang back this could very well be the last hurrah (last season might've been it) go big or go home imo. Perhaps they talked to Fleury and he politely told them no. I dunno. Or maybe they aren't planning on a serious run this year in which case let Crosby go somewhere else (never happen).

So just dunno what to think on this....

oh and i'll just add, if we have any hope of getting out of the east next year our goaltending has to be at least in the same stratosphere of shertiskn and vasilesky. I'm sure we'll finally get a stud PLAYOFF goaltender about the time we aren't making the playoffs anymore...

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Considering what other backup goalies went for: Halak, Samsonov this looks like a terrible deal for the Pens

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Considering what other backup goalies went for: Halak, Samsonov this looks like a terrible deal for the Pens
Halak is 37 and has had two pretty mediocre years. Samsonov's career sv% is 0.903. CDS has 0.916. Georgiev and Husso had more comparable stats (CDS's are still better) and they got atleast double the AAV CDS did.

Say what you want about CDS the person but in FA he was gonna get 3+ AAV.

Reactions: Moose Lips

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Halak is 37 and has had two pretty mediocre years. Samsonov's career sv% is 0.903. CDS has 0.916. Georgiev and Husso had more comparable stats (CDS's are still better) and they got atleast double the AAV CDS did.

Say what you want about CDS the person but in FA he was gonna get 3+ AAV.

I believe Halak and Samsonov were both available for their teams' last 2 playoffs
That to me is of greater value than RS save %'s

• Wow
Reactions: Factorial

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
After seeing what UFA backup were available and what they went for, I can't complain about CDS.
Just hoping that one of Lindberg or Blomqvist will push the team by the end of the season and made him expandable.

Reactions: Jacob

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
no crow to eat here. i think we should've gone a different way last summer, it's even a bigger sin that as our season progressed it was obvious our goaltending situation was even worse then last year and that was bad. Our GM didn't even attempt to address it. Instead we tied ourselves to Granlund.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Despite a few bad games it's hard to complain about him. He's paid like a back-up. Not a 1A or 1B but just a back-up, and mostly he plays pretty good by back-up standards. a .904 save percentage on *this* team is not that bad. He looked good in the POs before getting hurt.. it was just 1 game but he shouldn't have even been put in that position, really. Frankly I have more trust in DeSmith in the POs than I do Jarry.

I'm okay with sticking with DeSmith for another year to back-up Gibson or whoever else. If other adjustments are made, like better team-defense, and DeSmith is asked to start 30 or less he'll be fine. Maybe a bargain, even. That'd be a strong tandem. Then maybe by 2024 Gauthier or Blomqvist is ready.

Reactions: pistolpete11

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Despite a few bad games it's hard to complain about him. He's paid like a back-up. Not a 1A or 1B but just a back-up, and mostly he plays pretty good by back-up standards. a .904 save percentage on *this* team is not that bad. He looked good in the POs before getting hurt.. it was just 1 game but he shouldn't have even been put in that position, really. Frankly I have more trust in DeSmith in the POs than I do Jarry.
Nobody remembers ?

cdspunch.jpg

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
no crow to eat here. i think we should've gone a different way last summer, it's even a bigger sin that as our season progressed it was obvious our goaltending situation was even worse then last year and that was bad. Our GM didn't even attempt to address it. Instead we tied ourselves to Granlund.
I heard he's pretty versatile. Maybe he can play in nets?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm ok with it. I would have liked him on a one year deal and at a little less money. But as Emp has brought up many times in this thread, his performance has been really good for a backup, especially if you look at what is on the market.

So, I'm ok with it.

At this amount he could easily be traded to another team as a swap.

This is what I said and I still stand by it. Halak has a .905 SV% on the 3rd best defensive team in the league and CDS has a .904 SV% on the 21st defensive team. As someone else brought up, Samsanov got to choose where he wanted to go.

The real issue is that the Pens don't have any goaltending prospects available for the NHL team because they have traded them all away. And it doesn't look any better for the next few seasons.

Reactions: Gurglesons

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I'm okay with sticking with DeSmith for another year to back-up Gibson or whoever else. If other adjustments are made, like better team-defense, and DeSmith is asked to start 30 or less he'll be fine. Maybe a bargain, even. That'd be a strong tandem. Then maybe by 2024 Gauthier or Blomqvist is ready.
This is how I feel, too. He's a backup. They either need a true #1 instead of Jarry or another 1A/B type instead of CDS.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I hoped for a 1B goalie trade at the last TDL, more for how Jarry played/health, but sometimes even a brick wall would not be sufficienze in front of this D.

And CDS it is wat it is, good for a game or two, but if you use him as a starter he'll quickly sink. What you pay is what you get.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is what I said and I still stand by it. Halak has a .905 SV% on the 3rd best defensive team in the league and CDS has a .904 SV% on the 21st defensive team. As someone else brought up, Samsanov got to choose where he wanted to go.

The real issue is that the Pens don't have any goaltending prospects available for the NHL team because they have traded them all away. And it doesn't look any better for the next few seasons.

I was pissed about the Samsanov signing. Would’ve been a smart buy low, but Desmith was probably the best goaltender signed or acquired this summer outside of Kuemper.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Halak isn’t much better than Desmith.

Samsonov got to pick where he went. I’d choose Toronto over PIT too.

DeSmith was signed before Samsonov hit the market. DeSmith is an ok backup but it was just more complacent garbage. You don't keep chad and Desmith for 7 fricken years.

Also DeSmith was coming off a big injury, not need to give him 2 years

Reactions: Turin and Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad