Confirmed with Link: Casey DeSmith re-signed 2 years $1.8m AAV

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So... with Friedman reporting that the Pens interested in Fleury, are they open to moving Jarry orrr

No I think Friedman is just wrong. He's just doing the same "Fleury has to be coming back to Pittsburgh!" thinking that fans do.

This is a solid deal for a solid backup goalie. I honestly do not understand the vitriol DeSmith gets from Penguins fans. I was down on him after he was sent down in 2019-2020 and had a shitty year in the AHL, but he's been giving consistently above average results for years.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm surprised he took that contract. Someone would have gotten desperate in free agency and offered more. The goalie market is terrible this year and he's a guy with 97-games and a 0.914%.

He would have gotten at least $3.5 and for longer term.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll reiterate this here, in his NHL career, DeSmith has a .915 save% and a W/L record of 43-28-11, which ends up being 97 points in 82 games. That's a playoff team, likely a wildcard team but a playoff team.

The hate DeSmith gets is nonsensical to me. If DeSmith is this unacceptable backup with above average stats in every single season and a win/loss record good enough to make the playoffs with, who is a good enough backup?

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'll reiterate this here, in his NHL career, DeSmith has a .915 save% and a W/L record of 43-28-11, which ends up being 97 points in 82 games. That's a playoff team, likely a wildcard team but a playoff team.

The hate DeSmith gets is nonsensical to me. If DeSmith is this unacceptable backup with above average stats in every single season and a win/loss record good enough to make the playoffs with, who is a good enough backup?
We should be running a Shesterkin/Hellebuyck tandem

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Not exactly what you want as a Backup Goalie, He is the Little Girl with the Curl

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
No I think Friedman is just wrong. He's just doing the same "Fleury has to be coming back to Pittsburgh!" thinking that fans do.

This is a solid deal for a solid backup goalie. I honestly do not understand the vitriol DeSmith gets from Penguins fans. I was down on him after he was sent down in 2019-2020 and had a shitty year in the AHL, but he's been giving consistently above average results for years.
I tell you what the vitriol is....I hate watching him play... Don't care what the numbers are. He looks like an ADHD spastic imitating flower. 🤷

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

It is how he gets to that, that is the Problem. He is the little girl with the curl, when he is good he is really, really good & when he is bad , he is really really bad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I tell you what the vitriol is....I hate watching him play... Don't care what the numbers are. He looks like an ADHD spastic imitating flower. 🤷

So you don't care about the actual results he gives the team, you just don't like him because you don't like how he plays?

Well that makes no sense. He can do cartwheels for all I care, if he's stopping 92% of shots, I won't give a shit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

i Personally feel if we’re going to keep the crew together our best option to go deeper in the playoffs is to sink more money in a goalie, like a 1B situation, and not a traditional backup like CDS…go for someone a lot better and pay them more…in fact, ditch Petts salary for a draft pick and give most of it to Kuemper…that’s the best bang for your buck if you want the Pens to extend their playoff life….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad