Confirmed with Link: Casey DeSmith re-signed 2 years $1.8m AAV

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
i Personally feel if we’re going to keep the crew together our best option to go deeper in the playoffs is to sink more money in a goalie, like a 1B situation, and not a traditional backup like CDS…go for someone a lot better and pay them more…in fact, ditch Petts salary for a draft pick and give most of it to Kuemper…that’s the best bang for your buck if you want the Pens to extend their playoff life….

I don't understand how you can complain about Malkin not getting enough support while also advocating to sign Kuemper in free agency.

Like there's a salary cap. You don't have the money to do all of the things you want. You need to make sacrifices somewhere.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
i Personally feel if we’re going to keep the crew together our best option to go deeper in the playoffs is to sink more money in a goalie, like a 1B situation, and not a traditional backup like CDS…go for someone a lot better and pay them more…in fact, ditch Petts salary for a draft pick and give most of it to Kuemper…that’s the best bang for your buck if you want the Pens to extend their playoff life….
Do you honestly think Kuemper is going to sign with a team to be a 1B after he just won the Cup as a starter?

Sometimes bad luck bites you in the ass. Like when your 2 NHL goalies get hurt in the playoffs and cause you to lose to a team like the Rags. It happens, doesn't mean you have to go waste cap space because you're afraid of an unlikely scenario happening again.

Reactions: NJPens66

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'll reiterate this here, in his NHL career, DeSmith has a .915 save% and a W/L record of 43-28-11, which ends up being 97 points in 82 games. That's a playoff team, likely a wildcard team but a playoff team.

The hate DeSmith gets is nonsensical to me. If DeSmith is this unacceptable backup with above average stats in every single season and a win/loss record good enough to make the playoffs with, who is a good enough backup?

It's not his performance. It's his lack of availability over the past 2 post seasons that's sunk this team

Reactions: Shady Machine

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't understand how you can complain about Malkin not getting enough support while also advocating to sign Kuemper in free agency.

Like there's a salary cap. You don't have the money to do all of the things you want. You need to make sacrifices somewhere.

yep, like trading Dumo, Zucker and Petts…lol

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm ok with it. I would have liked him on a one year deal and at a little less money. But as Emp has brought up many times in this thread, his performance has been really good for a backup, especially if you look at what is on the market.

So, I'm ok with it.

At this amount he could easily be traded to another team as a swap.

Reactions: Night Shift

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, and even if you do that, you still don't have the cap space to do all of the things you want.

sure you would, depending on replacement costs…but if your replacement costs of two of them are POJ and Friedman at under $1 mil, then you have $11.5 mil at your disposal…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm ok with it. I would have liked him on a one year deal and at a little less money. But as Emp has brought up many times in this thread, his performance has been really good for a backup, especially if you look at what is on the market.

So, I'm ok with it.

At this amount he could easily be traded to another team as a swap.

you sure Hextall didn’t give a NMC like he gave Carter lol….?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Desmith is fine. I wish we could invest money into this position and bring in a better backup, but alas, we cannot.

For what he makes, he gives us quality regular season starts, and that's all you can ask for. Probably can't win a cup with him if Jarry gets hurt/plays bad and Desmith has to play in the playoffs, but that's true of almost every other team in the league, so whatever.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That $1.3 million extra that you are giving a journeyman like DeSmith could be the difference between keeping Geno and letting him go.

If Malkin stays (and we win the Cup next season), it's all good.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
you sure Hextall didn’t give a NMC like he gave Carter lol….?

I understand the NMC for Carter. All it means is that he can't be traded without his outright consent. People are taking it that he can't be traded at all.

I don't see why DeSmith would get one. Goalies for the most part should never get one. There isn't one backup goalie that has one.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
CDS being re-signed at pretty much as cheap as you can expect a backup to sign for has next to no bearing on Geno or Letang.

That situation is a fun mix of their camps probably asking for the moon, and the team being saddled with a handful of guys with bloated contracts thanks to the previous GM's work.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Desmith is fine. I wish we could invest money into this position and bring in a better backup, but alas, we cannot.

For what he makes, he gives us quality regular season starts, and that's all you can ask for. Probably can't win a cup with him if Jarry gets hurt/plays bad and Desmith has to play in the playoffs, but that's true of almost every other team in the league, so whatever.

yes we can…it’s not a luxury either…probably a necessity if we want our old team to go further in the playoffs…we need stellar goaltending…I’d rather spend there than overpay for Dumo and Petts and Zucker

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hextall's priorities are whack.

Who gives a sh&t about the backup goaltender when the second-best player is about to walk.

Eh, we can walk and chew gum at the same time.
And if Hextall can't, well we have much bigger problems anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad