Player Discussion: Casey Cizikas

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Thank you! That confirms what I thought, namely, that the Cizikas line is not getting the hardest matchups. Which is why, IMO, he does not deserve Selke candidacy. At any rate, who cares? Bergeron will win the Selke as he should. I don't think anyone really puts Cizikas in his caliber.
Yeah no kidding, I don't think he's even close to getting into the discussion. Not to mention pure reputation is a big part of these trophies. Cizikas would probably need a couple seasons of top two way play and top6 production to get in the discussion.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I do want to add though, as I have tried to understand what the numbers mean, one question that I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to is, who's tracking this stuff and how accurate are they? It seems to me that the exercise has to be fraught with errors just by virtue of the speed of the game and the constant changes of personnel.
The NHL scorekeepers are usually the ones doing the tracking. As for how accurate they are - given a sufficient sample size, they're probably accurate enough. Obviously errors happen, but as long as they are sparse, random and not intentional, their impact is greatly diminished given enough data. Stuff like shift changes (which is what's used for QoC stats) should be plenty accurate. Maybe there's an error of like a couple seconds in the recorded ice times every game, I don't know.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah no kidding, I don't think he's even close to getting into the discussion. Not to mention pure reputation is a big part of these trophies. Cizikas would probably need a couple seasons of top two way play and top6 production to get in the discussion.

Yeah, there's no way he's going to be viewed in the same light as Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, etc.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean the only way he deserves consideration is that he's a bottom-6 player that is scoring goals. Is it his D or his offense that results in you him gaining consideration?
But most defensive players play on a third line (or bottom six). In fact, the Islanders roll 4 lines. I understand that his ice time can be considered low, but like I said, the isles rolls four lines (and our bottom six plays between 11 and 14 minutes). In my opinion, he does exactly what is asked of a defensive forward. His role is above all defensive, he plays on the PK, and in addition he scores goals as a bonus. And it seems to me that he often plays against the best opposing line (if it's not his line, it's the Nelson line most of the time). I am not saying that he is supposed or should win the trophy, but at least he should receive some consideration for his great work so far, that's all. Guy Carbonneau won the trophy three times by playing a very similar role. Rick Meagher won this trophy with a record of 25 points in 1990. I don't know what his ice time was, but I think it was probably not very high (surely bottom six). Okay, maybe the standards have changed since...

Reactions: dood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But most defensive players play on a third line (or bottom six). In fact, the Islanders roll 4 lines. I understand that his ice time can be considered low, but like I said, the isles rolls four lines (and our bottom six plays between 11 and 14 minutes). In my opinion, he does exactly what is asked of a defensive forward. His role is above all defensive, he plays on the PK, and in addition he scores goals as a bonus. And it seems to me that he often plays against the best opposing line (if it's not his line, it's the Nelson line most of the time). I am not saying that he is supposed or should win the trophy, but at least he should receive some consideration for his great work so far, that's all. Guy Carbonneau won the trophy three times by playing a very similar role. Rick Meagher won this trophy with a record of 25 points in 1990. I don't know what his ice time was, but I think it was probably not very high (surely bottom six). Okay, maybe the standards have changed since...

Only 9 players have won the award with less points than Cizikas is on pace for. 2003-04 was the most recent one, Draper, so it's been a long time. I just don't see it happening for Cizikas. Maybe if he puts up 50 points he'll be added to the conversation. He's having a terrific season, no doubt. Unfortunately for Cizikas, Kopitar or Bergeron have won six of the last seven.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Happy Birthday to Zeeker.

Even before this season he had slowly became one of my favorite Islanders ever an this season has solidified it. Truly a pleasure to watch him give his all each and every night.

Casey is the type of guy you can win a Cup with.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He’s a great player but wow are some here overrating him.

He’s having a career year.

He's the type of player I think is vital to a winning culture.
With that being said, he's being paid handsomely. After all, he's a 4th line center and part of a $10M fourth line. That's a luxury most teams can't afford.

For my money, he's good but not great value.

Reactions: Quicklime

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He's the type of player I think is vital to a winning culture.
With that being said, he's being paid handsomely. After all, he's a 4th line center and part of a $10M fourth line. That's a luxury most teams can't afford.

For my money, he's good but not great value.
I could care less about his contract, its not like he is getting Ladd money.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I always viewed him as Ryan Callahan type player. A gritty guy who has some real offensive upside. His style of play may lead to a Ryan Callahan-esque decline, but for now, he's at the peak of his career and this is the true Casey Cizikas - not a one off aberration.

Reactions: Koobs11

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
The Cizikas contract is fine. He's paid, but he produces and is the kind of guy you want on a contender's top 12. It's the Clutterbuck and Komorov contracts that are tough. Would really like to get better players to replace them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Casey has been money this year. If there is one player that has taken to Trotz this season it is him and his linemates.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think almost everyone is on the same page, more or less regarding Casey. Just shades of gray.

Too bad we don't have any great below market value contracts on this team. Last one I can recall was Hamonic's.
For a while, once upon a time, Leddy was in that category but clearly he is not now.

We can always hope that Pelech and Mayfield will progress. One day they might be there.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The Cizikas contract is fine. He's paid, but he produces and is the kind of guy you want on a contender's top 12. It's the Clutterbuck and Komorov contracts that are tough. Would really like to get better players to replace them.
Its not so much that its either of them - its that its both. If it was one or the other, not a huge deal. But considering we have Casey at roughly the same price, we don't need both those guys signed for the next 3 years. If you had either of their $3m and roster spot back, you could put that towards a $6m winger in FA and solidify the top 9....in addition to getting a marquee FA (either wing or center).

(and we won't talk about Ladd).

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
People appreciate Cizikas because he's an honest player. How many times have you seen him on the PK block 2 shots, dive to knock the puck out of the zone, chase it down, pin the puck to the boards for 20 seconds, then limp off for a change looking like he'd just been machine gunned? Seems to happen all the time. When you see that kind of thing, you appreciate it because you recognize in it the nobility of handling yourself the right way in life. It's one of the great things about sports. Seeing people overcome adversity.

That said, the talk about moving him to 2c, Selke, etc, seems silly. He's great where he is in his role. Leave him be and let him continue to thrive.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I followed Zeeker last junior league year and I recalled that he suffered a pretty bad hand injury in late March that Spring after returned from a gritty performance at WJC during which he came within 20 minutes of winning a gold medal with his teammates. That team went through a meltdown during the 3rd period. Zeeker's hand recovered in late April that year & he went on to play real hard during both playoff & Memorial Cup runs & again just fell short of winning that tournament. He was captain of that team and you can tell both losses really hurt & it showed on his face. If he get into NHL playoff again this year, you can count on him to give all he has for those games.

He is a fighter as he had to go through some rough times during his second year of junior which I do not want to go into details. Many other players may just not get through that and still end up getting drafted by NHL. There are reasons why he was drafted # 3 overall in the OHL junior entry draft just after Terry O'Reilly and Taylor Hall.

He is one of the key reasons why I follow the Isles so closely because he is a real character and while he gets under the skin of his opponent all the times, those smiles of his can warm your heart all day.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's really grown on me this year. Seems to have taken a step fwd under Trotz. Also has tremendous chemistry with Martin and Clutterbuck. Just keep these 3 together. The best 4th line in hockey.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If push comes to shove in the playoffs, it may not be a bad idea to have Zeeker play LW with Barzal if the bench ever shortens. I recall CC getting some top line duty in a handful of games over the years, does anyone else remember this or is my senility progressing?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I followed Zeeker last junior league year and I recalled that he suffered a pretty bad hand injury in late March that Spring after returned from a gritty performance at WJC during which he came within 20 minutes of winning a gold medal with his teammates. That team went through a meltdown during the 3rd period. Zeeker's hand recovered in late April that year & he went on to play real hard during both playoff & Memorial Cup runs & again just fell short of winning that tournament. He was captain of that team and you can tell both losses really hurt & it showed on his face. If he get into NHL playoff again this year, you can count on him to give all

He is a fighter as he had to go through some rough times during his second year of junior which I do not want to go into details. Many other players may just not get through that and still end up getting drafted by NHL. There are reasons why he was drafted # 3 overall in the OHL junior entry draft just after Terry O'Reilly and Taylor Hall.

He is one of the key reasons why I follow the Isles so closely because he is a real character and while he gets under the skin of his opponent all the times, those smiles of his can warm your heart all day.

I pretty sure everyone knows the story of the “rough times”. Accidentally killed someone playing rugby. (Or fighting depending on the story). It’s not like it’s a secret.

That being said he is having a great season and this year earning that contract

Koobs11

aka Back door Johnny
Feb 4, 2007
Adirondacks
I have always been a fan of Zeeker. He is a heart and soul type guy and does all the small things right. I love his energy that he brings to the team and you can tell he loves being and Islander. The chemistry he has with Martin and Clutterbuck is great, I don't want to ever break that line up. Yes the contracts are rough but for what they bring to the team a lot of grit and physicality. Our 4th Line has a combined 30 goals, that's pretty damn impressive along with 451 hits. I could see Casey becoming our 3rd line center in a year or so and Otto becoming our 4th line center and developing on that line. Either way I am beyond pumped to see this line and Casey having the success they are having after being reunited and playing under Trotz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad