Player Discussion: Casey Cizikas

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Time to get Tito working on the PK.

Imagine what kind of shape we'd be in if JT didn't take on PK'ing.

Bailey could also be an option. I thought he was out there and made a nice play on one of the PK's recently. JT may have been in the box.

I would prefer Beauvillier step up, help distribute the minutes a little more evenly.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Bump a possible Selke candidate. He’s been tremendous this season.

He's not a Selke candidate. He still is a 4th line center, and gets 4th line matchups. If he played 18 minutes a game with the hardest matchups always, he'd be Selke. I'm not saying he can't win the Selke one day because Kris Draper won it once. Just that he's not going to win it with 13 minutes/game. That said, the comparison with Kris Draper is a good one.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
He's not a Selke candidate. He still is a 4th line center, and gets 4th line matchups. If he played 18 minutes a game with the hardest matchups always, he'd be Selke. I'm not saying he can't win the Selke one day because Kris Draper won it once. Just that he's not going to win it with 13 minutes/game. That said, the comparison with Kris Draper is a good one.

He is routinely playing again other team's first lines

Also he is kind of doing what he did prior to Martin signing with Toronto. He was never comfortable playing with Chimera

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I thought it was Nelson who got more of the tough matchups, but it's hard to tell.

Anyone able to see QoC numbers? I got this, but, frankly, I don't know how to read them.

NYI 1819 Nelson Quality of Teammates and Competition

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1819/NYI/cizikca91/
The red line is the league average, so both Nelson and Cizikas seem to play against the other teams' top lines (forwards 1,2,3) more than the league average, but in Nelson's case, the blue bars seem to extend over the red line more. This kind of visual representation of QoC probably isn't ideal for comparing players even if it gives you more detailed breakdowns. Corsica has the overall QoC TOI % stat and Nelson does lead the team's centers, Cizikas is third (though very close to Filppula).

Cizikas' season kinda reminds me of the one Clutterbuck had in 2015/16. Obviously goals are goals, so it's great, but he's shooting way above his career average and I don't know if this is indicative of any kind of permanent improvement.

Reactions: seafoam and dano16

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Captain, what @Costigan77 said was obviously about analytics. (And that's not a criticism of @Costigan77 .)
Not sure what this comment means.

In any event, I was being a little bit glib with my original comment but the truth is, I don't dismiss analytics at all and I have gained a much better understanding of them in the last year or so, but in some cases I don't need to see any numbers. I watch every game and get up there for 3 to 5 a year in person. Zeeker is crazy valuable.

I do want to add though, as I have tried to understand what the numbers mean, one question that I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to is, who's tracking this stuff and how accurate are they? It seems to me that the exercise has to be fraught with errors just by virtue of the speed of the game and the constant changes of personnel.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The red line is the league average, so both Nelson and Cizikas seem to play against the other teams' top lines (forwards 1,2,3) more than the league average, but in Nelson's case, the blue bars seem to extend over the red line more. This kind of visual representation of QoC probably isn't ideal for comparing players even if it gives you more detailed breakdowns. Corsica has the overall QoC TOI % stat and Nelson does lead the team's centers, Cizikas is third (though very close to Filppula).

Thank you! That confirms what I thought, namely, that the Cizikas line is not getting the hardest matchups. Which is why, IMO, he does not deserve Selke candidacy. At any rate, who cares? Bergeron will win the Selke as he should. I don't think anyone really puts Cizikas in his caliber.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
He is routinely playing again other team's first lines

Also he is kind of doing what he did prior to Martin signing with Toronto. He was never comfortable playing with Chimera

Wow, really!? Because many of the HF experts put MM and JC's points totals side by side and slapped their hands together and evangelized how great of an improvement that move was!

Reactions: Costigan77

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't say he should win the trophy, but at least be into consideration. Probably top 10 in voting, no? He is doing a tremendous job this year and is "4th line" is not a true fourth line as you know. It's more "bottom six".

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't say he should win the trophy, but at least be into consideration. Probably top 10 in voting, no? He is doing a tremendous job this year and is "4th line" is not a true fourth line as you know. It's more "bottom six".

I mean the only way he deserves consideration is that he's a bottom-6 player that is scoring goals. Is it his D or his offense that results in you him gaining consideration?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad