Player Discussion: Casey Cizikas

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have always been a fan of Zeeker. He is a heart and soul type guy and does all the small things right. I love his energy that he brings to the team and you can tell he loves being and Islander. The chemistry he has with Martin and Clutterbuck is great, I don't want to ever break that line up. Yes the contracts are rough but for what they bring to the team a lot of grit and physicality. Our 4th Line has a combined 30 goals, that's pretty damn impressive along with 451 hits. I could see Casey becoming our 3rd line center in a year or so and Otto becoming our 4th line center and developing on that line. Either way I am beyond pumped to see this line and Casey having the success they are having after being reunited and playing under Trotz

Agreed it is only the #4 line in name. Barry T has no reservations playing them against #1 lines. Last game against Calgary, as always they look the same against all teams. The one consistency they show up each and every game win or lose. And they are a positive.

Reactions: Olliemets and dood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I pretty sure everyone knows the story of the “rough times”. Accidentally killed someone playing rugby. (Or fighting depending on the story). It’s not like it’s a secret.

That being said he is having a great season and this year earning that contract

I don't think many people know it honestly. Hardcore fans are the only ones who do in my experience. There have been plenty of times where I make off-color jokes about it and I've never run into a single person who knows the story. I probably shouldn't make the jokes, but I can't help myself. From what I recall, the family of the person who died supported Cizikas when the government went after him for manslaughter or whatever. Kudos to them and I'm glad Cizikas didn't let that event ruin the rest of his life.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Casey really deserves recognition for the Selke this year. He is currently 2nd on The Isles in GA60 to only Matt Martin on the #1 GA team in the NHL. Also having a career year with 19 goals. The guy is a huge part of the Isles success this year. I posted this on the Main board. People that do not watch the Isles play, have no clue how good he has been this year. His game seems to have gone another level under Trotz. :clap: to Casey.

Reactions: Olliemets

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
He needs like 40-50 points for the Selke. And if Lee is gone, him or Boychuk should be considered for the C.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's had a great season and I'd love to see him honored with a nomination, but at the end of the day, the Selke voting is primarily based on reputation and your offensive numbers, and for him, neither are quite what they really need to be to sway the voters.
That is why I am here. Raising awareness for Isles players on the Main board. If I never watched the Isles play, I would probably have no idea how good he has been. All part of why I post here and there. !

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He needs like 40-50 points for the Selke. And if Lee is gone, him or Boychuk should be considered for the C.
Which begs the question. Should Cizikas get some PP mins? He is 3rd on the Isles in goal scoring with 19 goals with no PP time. Has a nice touch around the net and doesn't mind the dirty areas.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
This is a good article for anyone interested in quality of competition/quality of teammate statistics: Why Quality of Competition doesn’t matter to analytics experts anymore

"McCurdy downplays the importance of Quality of Competition for several reasons. One of the biggest is that its impact is so much smaller than the impact of Quality of Teammates."

"“Shift by shift, [Quality of Competition] is very meaningful; it's the aggregate patterns that average out,” he added. “Coaches are much more consistent with their lines than with their matchups, partly by necessity. Your linemates are all from one team (basically, not counting trades) and your opponents are from 30.”

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I was saying this last night without ever really getting to see Bobby Nystrom play, but I have to imagine he is the closest thing we have had to Bobby since then. He is an absoilutely ferocious competitor. As mentioned above, he's the best defensive forward on the best defensive team, yet he's gonna score 20+ goals this year. I want this guy to play 1000 games with the Isles.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad