GDT: carwas | Game 5

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I won't argue that the PP needs improvement, but there is something to be said about the Caps' PK last night. I think the Caps' PP would have struggled to generate anything against a group that leveraged a home crowd to be a half step faster on loose pucks and in closing space when the puck was possessed. The Canes did the same thing to the Caps in Game 3.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
XesErmgH_bigger.jpg
Sara Civ‏Verified account @SaraCivian 2h2 hours ago

Sara Civ Retweeted Carolina Hurricanes
Andrei Svechnikov yesterday:
“I hope play next game”

Reactions: Tryamw

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Calvin de Haan speaks the truth!
XesErmgH_bigger.jpg
Sara Civ‏Verified account @SaraCivian 59s59 seconds ago

"It is what it is, I think (social media vitriol) picks up when the stakes are higher.
But whatever, if someone is sitting at home being an armchair GM,
you know they’d never say it to your face.”
elite Twitter chirper Calvin de Haan

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
The off season should be strictly about getting mid range players that are good on the PP

(Zucarello, Hoffman)?

If we score on one of those PP chances, this could have been a different game
Meh,I'm still scratching my head about Hamil(ton)letting ovenchicken skate right in for the puck to make it 3 ,0,it's like he gave up on the play,both line smen waived off icing and I'm sure someone was telling him from the bench,SMH....

Reactions: Tryamw

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Don’t think there’s any need to police our own fans on this board unless they’re being offensive. People are allowed to be mad or even irrational after that kind of loss. This is supposed to be a place to be able to do that.

That being said. I’m still optimistic. I said before the game it wasn’t a must win and here we are on the dawn of a new day and STRANGELY still in the playoffs with a game at home lol.

We’ll get em on Monday :)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If the crosscheck to the neck is not allowed then Fleury should be suspended for his earlier in the series too. Then what about the elbow from Hamilton? Then what about Ovechkin on McGinn?

This series has gotten out of hand and both teams have gotten away with plenty. When it was major events like Ovechkin vs. Svech or Foegele on Oshie or whatever that was fine. But counting minors tit for tat is so over the top.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If the crosscheck to the neck is not allowed then Fleury should be suspended for his earlier in the series too. Then what about the elbow from Hamilton? Then what about Ovechkin on McGinn?

This series has gotten out of hand and both teams have gotten away with plenty. When it was major events like Ovechkin vs. Svech or Foegele on Oshie or whatever that was fine. But counting minors tit for tat is so over the top.

I agree.

I don't even think it's out of hand for the most part. I think that this is playoff hockey and we're just not used to it as Canes fans. Guys amp up the physical play in the playoffs, particularly in round 1, which leads to more plays on the edge.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
karvas means bitter in Finnish

i should've told y'all as much, what with the line-up and everything, but in my folly i went on believing

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I don't even think it's out of hand for the most part. I think that this is playoff hockey and we're just not used to it as Canes fans. Guys amp up the physical play in the playoffs, particularly in round 1, which leads to more plays on the edge.

Really? [MOD] I'd venture to guess most of us watch a shitload of playoff hockey, doesn't matter if the Canes are in or not. I wouldn't classify it as "out of hand", but out of every other series, ours has certainly been the chippiest/dirtiest; with the Caps leading the charge in that regard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Really? You sound like every piece of **** Caps fan with a comment like that. I'd venture to guess most of us watch a ****load of playoff hockey, doesn't matter if the Canes are in or not. I wouldn't classify it as "out of hand", but out of every other series, ours has certainly been the chippiest/dirtiest; with the Caps leading the charge in that regard.

Nazem Kadri skated across the ice and cross checked a guy in the face in the other series still going in the East...

You’re right, we all do watch playoff hockey. But when our team’s not in it the dirtiness of other series doesn’t personally hit home with us. Series get like this every year, and I don’t think this one is particularly special except for the fact that the Canes are in it.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Nazem Kadri skated across the ice and cross checked a guy in the face in the other series still going in the East...

You’re right, we all do watch playoff hockey. But when our team’s not in it the dirtiness of other series doesn’t personally hit home with us. Series get like this every year, and I don’t think this one is particularly special except for the fact that the Canes are in it.

I watched end of game 6 with my dad who is neutral, because as a regular Czech guy he’s torn between cheering for DK and Pasta lifting the Cup and having them at worlds.

He was like “what the hell does the ref thinks these are if not fouls” . By both teams. It was equally idiotic.

If this was happening in CZE, the hometeam would drop the barn on ref’s head and the away guys would help them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Really? You sound like every piece of **** Caps fan with a comment like that. I'd venture to guess most of us watch a ****load of playoff hockey, doesn't matter if the Canes are in or not. I wouldn't classify it as "out of hand", but out of every other series, ours has certainly been the chippiest/dirtiest; with the Caps leading the charge in that regard.

Yes, really. Even Williams said he expected Round 1 to be like this because round 1 series are always the most physical. The Caps are a physical team that tries to intimidate with their physicality and that's what we are seeing. I'm not suggesting they aren't crossing the line some, but it's playoff hockey.

And with respect to the "we watch a shit load of playoffs". Watching another team play in the playoffs and get hit is totally different than watching the team you root for play. The emotional attachment of seeing your team get hit is what drives the fan reaction and some of what we are seeing here. Complaining about that Ovi hit on Foegele in the twitter above is a prime example. If that was Ferland hitting Niskanen, we'd be applauding it.

The other series is seeing some of the same stuff, and even worse, just that many of them got toned down because of teams getting bounced early. Thornton, Kucherov and Kadri have all been suspended for doing things worse than we've seen in this series. And early in the series, Dougie and Fleury had plays just as chippy/dirty as the Caps.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad