Confirmed with Link: Carter Hart Officially Charged With One Count Of Sexual Assault (Per His Lawyers); Non-roster, salary cap info in OP

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Others have explained it but I'll add that, though we don't know the details of the settlement other than what she initially sought, we do know that Hockey Canada had to liquidate assets to pay the settlement. Which means either it was substantial or Hockey Canada was really cash poor.

I think it's totally fitting that there be a cash settlement from Hockey Canada and a trial for the accused. The accused allegedly committed the crime and the institution enabled the situation and attempted to protect the players. So it gets punished as well.
I have a question about Hockey Canada... Shouldn't there be some kind of criminal charges? If you are made aware of a potential crime occurring and your immediate reaction isn't to go to police, but pay off the victim so they don't... It seems like there should be something illegal about those actions.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I have a question about Hockey Canada... Shouldn't there be some kind of criminal charges? If you are made aware of a potential crime occurring and your immediate reaction isn't to go to police, but pay off the victim so they don't... It seems like there should be something illegal about those actions.
Isn't that accessory to a crime or something along those lines? Maybe criminal negligence?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Farthest from a legal expert but if there was a coverup is that a form of obstruction of justice?

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

I misunderstood the timeline as both police and Hockey Canada were contacted the same time. Police closed their investigation (I believe quite a few involved with that have been fired/reassigned)

Hockey Canada did continue an investigation so unless they uncovered and kept secret incriminating evidence then they probably avoid any charges.
Technicalities when you weigh it against Hockey Canada's overall egregious handling but valid nonetheless..

Reactions: renberg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I have a question about Hockey Canada... Shouldn't there be some kind of criminal charges? If you are made aware of a potential crime occurring and your immediate reaction isn't to go to police, but pay off the victim so they don't... It seems like there I should be something illegal about those actions.
Hard to say, certainly the government froze funding and fired the board and the executives. HC negotiated a settlement with the victim. The police were already investigating, so it wasn't on them to do anything except cooperate. I believe HC shared its findings with the police, but not sure what that looked like.

Reactions: Flybynite

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Yea I don't think HC really covered anything up that I've seen in a criminal sense, they just paid her to keep it quiet (no trial, which would have been in the news)

What they did do though? They were the ones that tipped off Macleod that she had gone to the police. That's when he started messaging her asking her to make it go away.

If you go to about page 100 of the main board thread and start skimming for links, there are some very informative articles. I wouldn't recommend reading the thread unless you enjoy the nonsense. Here was one thing that got me, because it's the first time I've seen some additional dialog from the 2nd video.

Screenshot_20240205_231324_Chrome.jpg

I've seen that conversation before, but never with the "Say it" at the beginning. I don't remember "what else" either. Everything I've seen before just had her words, not his. I'd say "say it" sounds pretty coercive. Surely not predatory at all

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yea I don't think HC really covered anything up that I've seen in a criminal sense, they just paid her to keep it quiet (no trial, which would have been in the news)

What they did do though? They were the ones that tipped off Macleod that she had gone to the police. That's when he started messaging her asking her to make it go away.

If you go to about page 100 of the main board thread and start skimming for links, there are some very informative articles. I wouldn't recommend reading the thread unless you enjoy the nonsense. Here was one thing that got me, because it's the first time I've seen some additional dialog from the 2nd video.

View attachment 815535

I've seen that conversation before, but never with the "Say it" at the beginning. I don't remember "what else" either. Everything I've seen before just had her words, not his. I'd say "say it" sounds pretty coercive. Surely not predatory at all
He was threatening as well in other texts saying it would not be good for her if she proceeded ....

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

View attachment 815535

Yeah I phrased my post badly by using "covered up." I meant like, they were punished for facilitating the event and then trying to buy an NDA/no negative publicity through settlement--which totally blew up in their faces. Nothing criminal.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Wasn’t there a random person at the bar on behalf of some organization that told the girl to “take care of him” or something like that?

Gave them drinks and all of that.
IIRC there was an older player agent or rep or something like that.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Wasn’t there a random person at the bar on behalf of some organization that told the girl to “take care of him” or something like that?

There was a rumor it was a Nike executive I think. Not sure

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

It was a Nike rep, identified as MM. Sounds like a rep doing rep things, and he did say that, but again, doesn't seem shady if he thought they were just going to hook up normally. He hasn't been implicated in the nasty stuff

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
In a world of miscalculations and inappropriate behavior to varying degrees comes this story from Minnesota involving youth hockey players:

Blaine woman charged with sexual assault of youth hockey teammates in Roseville​

Prosecutors say a Blaine woman sexually assaulted two teenage boys from Colorado who were in Roseville last month to play in a hockey tournament.

Allison Schardin, 38, was arrested Thursday on charges of third- and fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct and remains in custody at the Ramsey County jail. She allegedly assaulted two 15-year-olds on a Colorado youth hockey team who were in town for a tournament. A third teen witnessed the alleged assaults.

According to the charges:

While in a hot tub with the teens at the hotel on the evening of Jan. 14, Schardin told them she had marital problems. One of the teens cited in the charges said Schardin's husband came to the pool area and yelled something like, "If you don't come upstairs, our relationship is over."

The boys went to their rooms, where one received a snapchat from Schardin stating that she and her husband had gotten into an argument and asking if she could come over to the teen's room.

Two of the teammates did not want her there, but one reportedly allowed her in because she said she needed help. Those two teammates left when Schardin arrived, leaving her with the three boys cited in the charges.

She told the teens that she was afraid of her husband, and eventually started talking about "sex and stuff." She got into bed with two of the boys while the third one was in another bed, asking them how sexually active they were. They told her their ages when she asked, mentioning that they played for a 16-and-under team.
Damn hockey culture.

So let's just say all parties are found guilty for the sake of this question, is it more likely that the players will be suspended, or terminated from the nhl?
They'll remain unsigned and finish their careers in europe.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
If they're found guilty, won't they be in jail for a while?
That is possible but not a certainty depending on degree of the charges and how the eventual decision-makers establish cause. Many of the questions at the presser had some sort of "can't answer....tampering with the ongoing investigation."

There is another school teacher who had sex with a minor, in Virginia, reading about that today, and she faces "up to 50 years in prison." "Up to" could be a slap on the wrist or the full allotment. Now, in this case, she had a year-long relationship with someone 14 years of age. What could be taken into account, is anyone's guess since the level of charges is multiple but there was no "force"; however, when dealing with a minor, that "force" is probably considered void. Ultimately, few cases are similar. Whatever happens in the case of the hockey players here, their fame could help or hurt them. If the latter, the attention to this case could manifest into something far greater than another school teacher gone wild.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
In Canada, if found guilty, 4 of them would probably face between 3-5 years pen time (major aggravating factor of it being a gang rape and being penetrative). Not sure about McLeod but it’ll be above that. Also, the complainant was over the age of 16 (she was 20) and they were over 18. Age has no relevancy here and will play no part in sentencing. Even a guilty plea would be unlikely to result in anything less than 2 years min.

Source: many friends who practice in the area

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Everyone should really watch the The Fifth Estate story. It goes through her initial lawsuit in detail.

Hockey Canada scandal: Inside our national sport - The Fifth Estate

Really good watch. Thanks for sharing

Holy smokes. I've heard about bad hockey culture with racial/sexuality slurs, but damn. What a bunch of d-bag, fratboy, bullies. The fact it's been so rampant certainly helps make it feel that this could easily have been premeditated. That, and that they tried on an earlier girl. Shit is gross.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Holy smokes. I've heard about bad hockey culture with racial/sexuality slurs, but damn. What a bunch of d-bag, fratboy, bullies. The fact it's been so rampant certainly helps make it feel that this could easily have been premeditated. That, and that they tried on an earlier girl. Shit is gross.
Yeah to me it seems this wasn't their only rodeo. They seem like repeat offenders who laid a trap but picked the wrong person. Sounds big time premeditated to me and not some isolated incident. They definitely need to serve time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Makes one think there's similarities between white rural culture in both the Western US and Canada. Some simply due to being isolated from the rest of the world, both culturally and geographically.

It's easy to have these attitudes toward the "other" when you rarely encounter the other so they exist as a stereotype, not real people.

It's not surprising that it feels like the proportion of "enforcer" types are higher among black hockey players, if you're the only black face in the locker room, and are targeted on the ice from a young age, you learn to fight back or you quit the game.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Makes one think there's similarities between white rural culture in both the Western US and Canada. Some simply due to being isolated from the rest of the world, both culturally and geographically.

It's easy to have these attitudes toward the "other" when you rarely encounter the other so they exist as a stereotype, not real people.

It's not surprising that it feels like the proportion of "enforcer" types are higher among black hockey players, if you're the only black face in the locker room, and are targeted on the ice from a young age, you learn to fight back or you quit the game.
Have you ever been to rural areas of Pennsyltucky? Sex, drugs and alcohol is the culture. My buddy lives in Franklin, PA....visited him a few times. It's just a whole different world. I mean his mom wanted to gift me one of her guns but I settled for her moonshine. The bar scene was something else as well.....

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
The majority here seems to be very biased against the players and by the only „evidence“ yet to be known plus some background feeling about „Hockey culture“ in general this is no surprise. Convinces me about 70%.

Take those text messages. They are no proof. They can be interpreted both ways. Imagine you had a legal (by common moral standards low) group encounter with too much alcohol and fear a scandal, maybe regret it, wouldn‘t you try to cover it up? Do the text messages prove there was consent? No. Do they prove there wasn’t? No.

I have experienced over 1.000 lawsuits in my professional career. That doesn‘t mean I know better, but what I can say is that you need all cards on the table to make up your mind and judge. Those „I don’t need to know more“ comments are extremely naive and shortsighted.

There is a suspicion the players may have done similar things before? Well, it certainly does say sth. about their characters, but what does it say about the question of consent? Just ficton for now, but what if it came out the plaintiff has done this thing a couple of times before? Doesn’t answer the question of consent either, but wouldn’t it have a similar effect upon the case?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad