Injury Report: Carter Hart, lower body injury, out the next 10 days (Feb. 23)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Then why did Gordon comment on choosing Elliott over Hart? Did it happen in practice?

Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
All these injuries, is it on goalie coach, health and conditioning staff or just a bad luck? I can't help but think this isn't normal is it?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Someone please post some actual scientific evidence regarding the exact moment a goalie is overplayed to the point it significantly increases his risk of injury.

Should teams stop practicing because it makes players more likely to get hurt?

Should non-goalies be held out of games, or does the overplayed injury risk only apply to goalies?

Maybe NHL teams should ice rosters of 20 scab players on the ends of back to backs.

Should NHL teams have a rotation of 5 starting goalies, like MLB pitchers? Maybe they should have closers for 3rd periods, also.

Anyway, I’m curious—what are the medical guidelines?

Reactions: fat

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
4 starts in 6 days is too much for a 20 year old kid just starting his career. Hell its too much for many goalies.
and it is different for skaters GB. How long have you been watching hockey? jeez.

Yes the playoffs are a different animal. The Oilers played Talbot 70 games a few years ago and he has not really been the same since.
you have a backup for a reason. Sure maybe he still gets dinged up regardless. But he still should of not started 4 games in 6 days.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
4 starts in 6 days is too much for a 20 year old kid just starting his career. Hell its too much for many goalies.
and it is different for skaters GB. How long have you been watching hockey? jeez.

Yes the playoffs are a different animal. The Oilers played Talbot 70 games a few years ago and he has not really been the same since.
you have a backup for a reason. Sure maybe he still gets dinged up regardless. But he still should of not started 4 games in 6 games.
Where’s the science? Why are playoffs somehow different? They should be even more physically taxing. How do Stanley Cup winning goalies routinely manage to play 20+ games in a row after a full regular season?

Why is goalie so different than say a #1 defenseman who is physically battling with opponents all night?

Was it the 10 minutes Hart played against Tampa that hurt him, or the 10 minutes against Montreal?

Maybe he worked out off ice — should that be banned?

Show me some actual scientific evidence. Otherwise it’s just fans making things up.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.webp

@Beef Invictus

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Someone please post some actual scientific evidence regarding the exact moment a goalie is overplayed to the point it significantly increases his risk of injury.

Should teams stop practicing because it makes players more likely to get hurt?

Should non-goalies be held out of games, or does the overplayed injury risk only apply to goalies?

Maybe NHL teams should ice rosters of 20 scab players on the ends of back to backs.

Should NHL teams have a rotation of 5 starting goalies, like MLB pitchers? Maybe they should have closers for 3rd periods, also.

Anyway, I’m curious—what are the medical guidelines?

There aren't medical guidelines per se. However, Jim Rutherford admitted that with Cam Ward, he overplayed him his first two years and that lead to a lot of the injuries he suffered. He started 86% of the games over the two years, faced 4500 shots, saved 4152 and saved more shots than what most goalies faced over the same two year period.

So, there's definitely some merit that when a young goaltender gets a lot of starts, faces a lot of rubber and plays behind a not so good defense, there's going to be some injuries.

We also saw it with Antero Niittymaki when he was here. Hitch ran him those numerous games in a row and the next thing you know, Niitty was plagued with hip injuries the rest of his career. We also saw it with Steve Mason when Hakstol wouldn't use Stolarz and he ran Mason into the ground. I'm sure you can go around the league and see how many goalies have been injuries by playing so many games in a row. The days of 20 - 30 starts in a row are a thing of the past, especially with the way the game is played.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There aren't medical guidelines per se. However, Jim Rutherford admitted that with Cam Ward, he overplayed him his first two years and that lead to a lot of the injuries he suffered. He started 86% of the games over the two years, faced 4500 shots, saved 4152 and saved more shots than what most goalies faced over the same two year period.

So, there's definitely some merit that when a young goaltender gets a lot of starts, faces a lot of rubber and plays behind a not so good defense, there's going to be some injuries.

We also saw it with Antero Niittymaki when he was here. Hitch ran him those numerous games in a row and the next thing you know, Niitty was plagued with hip injuries the rest of his career. We also saw it with Steve Mason when Hakstol wouldn't use Stolarz and he ran Mason into the ground. I'm sure you can go around the league and see how many goalies have been injuries by playing so many games in a row. The days of 20 - 30 starts in a row are a thing of the past, especially with the way the game is played.
And, what, a few skipped games would have prevented those injuries? What amount of skipped games prevent them?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Knowing that he should have been playing the stadium series game since he's pretty much the only thing the mainstream fans care about other than gritty, managing his starts in the previous week in a logical way should have been easy

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I’ve seen goalies ran into the ground before. Ward, Talbot, guys like Andersen having it all catch up in the playoffs, etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any franchise run every goalie to the point of injury over more than one head coach and GM.

Flyers hockey.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad