Injury Report: Carter Hart, lower body injury, out the next 10 days (Feb. 23)

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
On a more positive note, this may be helpful in adjusting our draft position back into the top ten with a better shot at the lottery 3.
I was looking at the schedule and with 21 games left and only a couple of patsy's left, and a bunch of games against good teams and teams in the hunt for a spot, making the playoffs was not a realistic option even with Hart playing mostly lights out. This way we will lose games and Hart is not part of it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Where’s the science? Why are playoffs somehow different? They should be even more physically taxing. How do Stanley Cup winning goalies routinely manage to play 20+ games in a row after a full regular season?

Why is goalie so different than say a #1 defenseman who is physically battling with opponents all night?

Was it the 10 minutes Hart played against Tampa that hurt him, or the 10 minutes against Montreal?

Maybe he worked out off ice — should that be banned?

Show me some actual scientific evidence. Otherwise it’s just fans making things up.

Dude, we posted a ton of scientific evidence and research proving that fatigue causes injury. It's already been done.

It clearly had no impact.

Why should we dig it all up again when we now know you ignore facts and evidence?

Just look at the trend with our own team: 4 goalies in 2 years have been run hard and immediately get injured afterward. That trend is impossible to ignore.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Someone please post some actual scientific evidence regarding the exact moment a goalie is overplayed to the point it significantly increases his risk of injury.

Should teams stop practicing because it makes players more likely to get hurt?

Should non-goalies be held out of games, or does the overplayed injury risk only apply to goalies?

Maybe NHL teams should ice rosters of 20 scab players on the ends of back to backs.

Should NHL teams have a rotation of 5 starting goalies, like MLB pitchers? Maybe they should have closers for 3rd periods, also.

Anyway, I’m curious—what are the medical guidelines?

I mostly agree with your points.

However, Hart has also traveled a lot in addition to getting a lot of starts.

I think it gets ignored how much stress these athletes incur from a tough travel schedule, especially one that bounces between the minors and the bigs.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Where’s the science? Why are playoffs somehow different? They should be even more physically taxing. How do Stanley Cup winning goalies routinely manage to play 20+ games in a row after a full regular season?

Why is goalie so different than say a #1 defenseman who is physically battling with opponents all night?

Was it the 10 minutes Hart played against Tampa that hurt him, or the 10 minutes against Montreal?

Show me some actual scientific evidence. Otherwise it’s just fans making things up.

You are really worked up today GB. How exactly can that be quantified on the message board to prove it or disprove it? There have been articles written about the nature of injuries in sports but there's always going to be a gray area of sorts.

I'm more angry the way this has played out though TBO. Could they have overplayed him? Sure, it's possible. It's just as likely they are using the injury designation to save face with angry fans.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Or maybe he tweaked something last night at practise and is out 10 days to be safe he doesn't pull something? Holy conspiracy theories Batman. Love these boards . Lol

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

I don’t have a problem playing 4 in 6 but has Hart ever played that workload? How many games a week do they play in juniors? How many a week in the A?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t have a problem playing 4 in 6 but has Hart ever played that workload? How many games a week do they play in juniors? How many a week in the A?

They play three games a week typically. I think both the AHL & CHL have eliminated the weekend back to back to back games. So typically you’ll have a game on the weekday (like a Tuesday or Wednesday) or something then back to back’s on Friday & Saturday night.

They travel by bus primarily so they got to give themselves more travel time obviously.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Playoffs rarely ever present a goalie with an opportunity to play 3 games in four days.

We often see goalies falter as the playoffs advance, too. One of the questions attached to nearly every team as they advance is "will the goalie hold up?"

Especially if those goalies had a heavy workload during the year.

Reactions: lancer247

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Why don’t goalies play every night anymore? Playing 82 games plus 20 more in the playoffs should be easy right? Because of science or something.
I am not making shit up. I am stating fact about playing your #1 every single night as stupid as hell and teams dont it anymore.
Why don’t you prove me wrong? How many times has a starting goalie started 4 times in 6 nights around the league. Hell teams with elite goalies don’t do it anymore.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a case where looking to the old days is useless, too. Yes, goalies played more then, but the game was different. The dawn of the fast paced short shift as ushered in by Shero changed the way goalies experience games. Improvements in skates and lighter pads speed up the game. Everything is faster, and while every other player gets to leave the ice, the goalie stays. They're there the whole time, and now they're having to move faster than ever. They weren't constantly hopping in and out of butterfly, either. The position is more physically demanding now.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This is a case where looking to the old days is useless, too. Yes, goalies played more then, but the game was different. The dawn of the fast paced short shift as ushered in by Shero changed the way goalies experience games. Improvements in skates and lighter pads speed up the game. Everything is faster, and while every other player gets to leave the ice, the goalie stays. They're there the whole time, and now they're having to move faster than ever. They weren't constantly hopping in and out of butterfly, either. The position is more physically demanding now.

Simply playing stand up styles and going to constant butterfly usage is a massive cumulative strain physiologically. Combined with pushing side-to-side, butterfly takes a large toll on groin muscles, knees, and other lower body muscles whereas stand up takes comparatively little strain or effort. That's not accounting for player advances, regulation changes, schedule differences, etc. from back then. A large portion of injuries are cumulative, it's just that people associate accidents or incidental trauma causing injuries. With enlightenment towards cumulative concussion trauma you would think NHL fans would know better though. Regardless of your conditioning or athleticism, your body and all the parts of it are only supposed to take so much strain over periods of time.

You'd have to be deliberately obtuse or just an idiot to not know this if you know anything about hockey history. Which is why I just don't argue with those people.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Why don’t goalies play every night anymore? Playing 82 games plus 20 more in the playoffs should be easy right? Because of science or something.
I am not making **** up. I am stating fact about playing your #1 every single night as stupid as hell and teams dont it anymore.
Why don’t you prove me wrong? How many times has a starting goalie started 4 times in 6 nights around the league. Hell teams with elite goalies don’t do it anymore.
So, in short, you have nothing. You don’t even know when or how he got hurt, but you’re convinced playing 4 times in 6 nights (even when the last 2 times are 10 MINUTES each) equals disaster. But the playoffs are unexplainably different.

And now pointing out that fans are making medical conclusions with zero scientific evidence is attempted to be dismissed as “contrarian.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
So, in short, you have nothing. You don’t even know when or how he got hurt, but you’re convinced playing 4 times in 6 nights (even when the last 2 times are 10 MINUTES each) equals disaster. But the playoffs are unexplainably different.

And now pointing out that fans are making medical conclusions with zero scientific evidence is attempted to be dismissed as “contrarian.” Lmao. It’s just people asserting things as truth with no evidence who don’t want their opinions questioned.

he asked you to prove him wrong with his example. Or do you have nothing?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad