NFL: Carson Wentz benched

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only way the Eagles part ways with Wentz is if they are prepared to eat the massive dead cap charge. Same goes with Stafford, Ryan, Cousins, etc. down the line. Same with Zeke and Cooper in Dallas.

That's why you don't see many big NFL trades, especially with regards to players who just signed new deals in the past year or 2. I think the NYG ate a big dead charge when they sent OBJ to Cleveland after paying him a big SB.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Only way the Eagles part ways with Wentz is if they are prepared to eat the massive dead cap charge. Same goes with Stafford, Ryan, Cousins, etc. down the line. Same with Zeke and Cooper in Dallas.

That's why you don't see many big NFL trades, especially with regards to players who just signed new deals in the past year or 2. I think the NYG ate a big dead charge when they sent OBJ to Cleveland after paying him a big SB.
$16MM, but that was only for the 2019 season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$16MM, but that was only for the 2019 season.
Still a big chunk of the salary cap.

that is why it is rare to see someone traded a year after signing a contract.

Hopkins is a top level talent but he was done with his guaranteed years I believe. And he wanted a new deal.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Still a big chunk of the salary cap.

that is why it is rare to see someone traded a year after signing a contract.

Hopkins is a top level talent but he was done with his guaranteed years I believe. And he wanted a new deal.
Yup, which is why if Wentz is being traded it needs to happen after June 1st. ~$9MM in dead cap as oppossed to being traded before June 1st which is ~$34MM in dead space.

Carson Wentz Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Reactions: DoyleG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup, which is why if Wentz is being traded it needs to happen after June 1st. ~$9MM in dead cap as oppossed to being traded before June 1st which is ~$34MM in dead space.

Carson Wentz Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap
June 1 is not a great time in the market to move a QB. Free agency starts around mid March. Then there is the draft, so roster spots are going to be filled out by the time June 1 rolls around.

Not familiar enough with the June 1 designation and how that impacts the dead cap. Something about it pushing it to cover 2 years vs 1 year only?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
June 1 is not a great time in the market to move a QB. Free agency starts around mid March. Then there is the draft, so roster spots are going to be filled out by the time June 1 rolls around.

Not familiar enough with the June 1 designation and how that impacts the dead cap. Something about it pushing it to cover 2 years vs 1 year only?
I think June 1 may be the unofficial mid point between seasons.

The NFL's Post-June 1 Cuts, Explained

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

This is why I think he will be on the team next year. 2022 zero chance unless he turns it around. i dont think it is all his fault. Maybe he hasnt been coachable, if this doesnt get through to him than nothing will with the Eagles. Kelce and Cox supported him yesterday when asked.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Jason Kelce stepped up to the plate for his dude.

some of what he’s saying is true, they are an abomination through and through but the QB really isn’t helping

Change was needed

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is why I think he will be on the team next year. 2022 zero chance unless he turns it around. i dont think it is all his fault. Maybe he hasnt been coachable, if this doesnt get through to him than nothing will with the Eagles. Kelce and Cox supported him yesterday when asked.
Yeah, teams want their QB situations nailed down by then. That said, a trade could still happen if a team works one out with the Eagles early in the offseason and they sit on it until June.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
He tossed two ill-timed INTs against my Washington Football team in Game 1 of the season when they had a very comfortable and commanding lead.

That cost him the game and earned him an L against LOL Dwayne Haskins. (honorary mention to Ertz literally dropping a ball in the 4th quarter.)
That was the first warning sign

His stupidity is something that is not solely explainable by bad O-lines and playcalling. Smart QBs just chuck incompletions or take sakes under duress.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Taking a qb as early as Philly took Hurts can make a player either go in Rodgers' direction, or the one Wentz is on.

I believe he's still a capable starter, but I don't think It's in Philly. Their line is currently a mess and they lack skill players, but he's been a huge part of the problem.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He won't be traded til after June 1st. If they trade him before June 1st the cap hits are:

2021: 33.8 mil
2022: 24.5 mil
2023: 15.3 mil
2024: 6 mil

If they trade him after June 1st the cap hits are:

2021: 9.3 mil
2022: 9.3 mil
2023: 9.3 mil
2024: 6 mil

No chance they trade him before June 1st. It would wreck their cap for three seasons.

I wonder if the NFL would be ok with a deal being worked out that locks both teams into the deal and then as part of the deal the Eagles allow Wentz to work with his new team before June 1st. Maybe he doesn't do anything physical but is allowed to start preparing with the team.

Though maybe that would start a bad precedent.

Ofcourse the other possibility is if Wentz reworks his contract and gives money back but since I have never heard of that I don't even know if that is possible from a league standpoint.

Last edited:

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Who would trade for Wentz and his contract, his level of play was bad this season and no guarantees it will get better, plus rumors about bad relationships with coaches and other players probably wont improve his stock. Indy?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who would trade for Wentz and his contract, his level of play was bad this season and no guarantees it will get better, plus rumors about bad relationships with coaches and other players probably wont improve his stock. Indy?
I heard a quote from Mike tannenbaum that if Wentz were to return some SB money to Philly then the $33 mill dead cap drops down by the amount he returns to them. Then after being traded his new team could give him a SB for the amount he returned to Philly to keep him even.

not sure if another team would be interested in doing that.

for Wentz it might be a good investment even if he’s out money as that could lead him to landing another $100 mill contract if he does end up with Reich in Indy or someone else who can help get him back on track.
As for the post June 1 cut, I know that if they cut him earlier the eagles take the entire $34 mill hit next season.

If he’s post June cut are there then yearly dead cap hits?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
If he is cut prior to June 1st, the cap hit for 2021 is 59.2 mil, No chance he is cut prior to June 1st, I wouldn't do it no matter what because he is worth a draft pick if not multiple draft picks. A deal is there to be made without him being cut.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So Wentz says he's done with Pederson but Roseman says he can't see a future without Wentz.

Something has to give here shortly. Probably more of a question of who goes first given i can see all three of them being out of Philly by 2022

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wentz refused to speak with the media. Whatever the Eagles want, Wentz is obviously done with them.
Probably best for him to decline.

He’s going to get pressed about his future. He’d likely give out a lot of its out of my control, I don’t know, we will see, I can’t make assumptions.

he would say he wants to start and believes he is a starter.

does he want to still be in Philly?
Probably have to be careful with that one. No firm yea or no, but to say I don’t know or maybe wouldn’t be a good answer for him to give as people will just speculate only under certain conditions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad