NFL: Carson Wentz benched

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wentz is really, really bad. This can only make the Eagles better
Saints are a good team. Tough way to get your first start. See how he does.

If Hurts plays well, then either they can use him as a trade chip since Wentz would cost them a massive dead cap hit, or he impresses and they move off Wentz and since Hurts is a 2nd round pick, he won't cost them much cap room.

Sep 19, 2008
Hurts has looked okay in limited time but the Eagles are flawed all over.

With not much to play for in a lost season might as well give him reps.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
lol the aints have to start a backup TE at QB and they get

atlanta x2 (dead franchise)
denver broncos literally without a quarterback
philadelphia eagles metaphorically without a quarterback

Atlanta is not a dead franchise, they just pushed their limits too far. They're still playing hard.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
i mean we have no GM, a lame duck coaching staff, aging impact players like Mack and Julio Jones, and our franchise qb is entering the twilight of his career. that is a dead franchise.

They will be dead, but they aren't right now. A few plays the other way and they could be 7-4. If they were smart they would move on from those guys though and get ahead of the Saints and Bucs in rebuilding.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
They will be dead, but they aren't right now. A few plays the other way and they could be 7-4. If they were smart they would move on from those guys though and get ahead of the Saints and Bucs in rebuilding.
sure but they did not make those plays, and they are not 7-4. With one defensive play they also win the Super Bowl back when. But we don't live in fantasy land: the reality is three straight years of 7-9 or worse ball and huge contract issues with Ryan and Jones.

we dead, man. Also while Ryan is still a more than adequate quarterback, his cap situation and age aren't. Never know when the drop off will be. I don't think top GMs will be drawn to a situation where they are anchored to a QB approaching 40 with a monster contract.

death, death, death. Death take us all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sure but they did not make those plays, and they are not 7-4. With one defensive play they also win the Super Bowl back when. But we don't live in fantasy land: the reality is three straight years of 7-9 or worse ball and huge contract issues with Ryan and Jones.

we dead, man. Also while Ryan is still a more than adequate quarterback, his cap situation and age aren't. Never know when the drop off will be. I don't think top GMs will be drawn to a situation where they are anchored to a QB approaching 40 with a monster contract.

death, death, death. Death take us all.

You're talking new coach AND GM, I can't imagine the level of candidate they'd be able to get if their plan moving forward was winning with that nucleus. If they're not going to target a QB, then they don't have to ditch Ryan yet.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
they literally have no choice but to go forward with Ryan. Check out the contract and cap situation. Massive dead money if they move him either by cutting or trading. Its not as bleak as the Wentz situation, but its still not a very attractive job for a coach or GM.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Something had to give with how putrid he was playing

I'm still of the belief he can be salvaged. Dude put up MVP numbers in 2017 and 2019, dragging that sadsack ass Eagles team in to the playoffs in the process in the latter season. Even his 2018 numbers were solid coming off the ACL injury.

A player of that caliber doesn't suddenly just start forget how to play football 5 years into his career. The real question will be if it's the Eagles or someone else that does the salvaging.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
He can be salvaged if the Eagles clean out their offensive coaching staff (including Peterson) & hire competent replacements as well as giving him a healthy and quality OL. Otherwise, as like with Tanny, a complete change of scenery to someplace that has all of those things in place (like the Titans had) might be the answer for him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He has been terrible but to put all the blame on him is foolish. Doug has not done much to help him out. Doesnt run the ball enough and not enough roll outs. He will be the starter next year with the Eagles Im sure, what Im not sure of is if Doug will be the coach of the team. Especially if they lose out. I dont think Hurts is not the answer to me, so if somehow they have a chance to draft Fields they should.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
i mean we have no GM, a lame duck coaching staff, aging impact players like Mack and Julio Jones, and our franchise qb is entering the twilight of his career. that is a dead franchise.
You left out inventing new and exciting ways to lose games.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Something had to give with how putrid he was playing

I'm still of the belief he can be salvaged. Dude put up MVP numbers in 2017 and 2019, dragging that sadsack ass Eagles team in to the playoffs in the process in the latter season. Even his 2018 numbers were solid coming off the ACL injury.

A player of that caliber doesn't suddenly just start forget how to play football 5 years into his career. The real question will be if it's the Eagles or someone else that does the salvaging.
You can't wait for plays to develop when your running for your life. I'll hold out hope for ole Wentz.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He can be salvaged if the Eagles clean out their offensive coaching staff (including Peterson) & hire competent replacements as well as giving him a healthy and quality OL. Otherwise, as like with Tanny, a complete change of scenery to someplace that has all of those things in place (like the Titans had) might be the answer for him.

Best fit for Wentz would be Indy, he will be reunited with Frank Reich, one of the best offensive lines in the league, sturdy defense, good young and veteran weapons in offence plus competent coaching.

If I’m Wentz, I’d be texting Frank Reich ASAP to start the motions.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
It is being reported that Wentz has an attitude problem and his teammates don't like playing for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad