Friedman: Carolina will test the market for Zykov

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I thought Ferland really exposes how limited Zykov is as a player. Last year with Aho and TT, it was Aho and TT doing their thing, and Zykov standing near the net hoping for rebounds. Contrast with Ferland who is very much a part of the whole offensive attack in terms of controlling the puck, setting up other guys, creating chances for himself, as well as doing what Zykov did just as well as Zykov did it.

I don’t disagree that Ferland has clicked well and been a more active part of that line. He certainly deserves that spot over Zykov right now. However that doesn’t represent the entirety of it for me. Teravainen has been just as much of a passenger this year on that line as Zykov was last year. It just shifted, it didn’t fill out.

Whereas Zykov is limited by being a net/slot-centered player, Teravainen is limited as a perimeter player. Maybe playing the perimeter fits the better team style currently, but I’m not sure it is always more desirable.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Zykov, Pesce & 3rd
for
Nylander

Make it a 4th and I'd bend that far to get a deal done. But it would require Nylander agreeing to a contract that isn't outlandish, and who knows how big an obsticle that is?

Pick isnt good enough for us to say yes.
If it was Zykov, Pesce and a 1st for Nylander and a 2nd id do it.

Nah. As I posted in the Nylander thread, remember the adage "the perfect is the enemy of the good". I understand that you might think you can do better, but ask yourself this: realistically, who is going to trade you a RH d-man that's better than Pesce? Especially one who is going to be part of a solid foundation of your D for the next 6 years and is on a steal of a contract?

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolinaCaniac

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Zykov plays an NHL level cycle game, and can get some production off it with the right guys, on top of around the net on the pp.

He’s a valuable player on some level, but he only brings back good value when attached to a bigger offer. I don’t see us getting more than a second or third for him which is a waste. If it’s not even that I don’t know why we would do it. He’s not really holding anyone else back right now.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Both need a change a scenery. Can Zykov play the RW? or only LW? Sherbak is 7 months younger. They both dominated the AHL last year, but didn't have success in the nhl this year.

Sherbak Vs Zykov

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Make it a 4th and I'd bend that far to get a deal done. But it would require Nylander agreeing to a contract that isn't outlandish, and who knows how big an obsticle that is?

Nah. As I posted in the Nylander thread, remember the adage "the perfect is the enemy of the good". I understand that you might think you can do better, but ask yourself this: realistically, who is going to trade you a RH d-man that's better than Pesce? Especially one who is going to be part of a solid foundation of your D for the next 6 years and is on a steal of a contract?

Dont disagree. I just would rather the Leafs overpay Nylander and give him 7.5x7 than trade him for a multi piece deal that doesnt wow me.
I like Pesce, I think he is a solid #4 guy who may grow into a #3. If the deal was on the other foot, where we were looking to move 3 pieces for pesce+a mid pick would you say yes? Kappanen+ Bracco +2nd for Pesce would be similar.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Dont disagree. I just would rather the Leafs overpay Nylander and give him 7.5x7 than trade him for a multi piece deal that doesnt wow me.
I like Pesce, I think he is a solid #4 guy who may grow into a #3. If the deal was on the other foot, where we were looking to move 3 pieces for pesce+a mid pick would you say yes? Kappanen+ Bracco +2nd for Pesce would be similar.

Based on what?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

No, but the situations are different imo. I don't think a forward below Nylander grade is needed by the Canes as much as a defensive RHD is needed by the Leafs. And even if I'm looking for such a player, I'm shopping Faulk as the base (who is actually having a nice bounce back year) rather than Pesce. The only reason to shop Pesce is for a return like Nylander. Whereas if it comes down to it and the Leafs decide not to overpay Nylander, Pesce stands a good chance of being the best defensive RHD available (which to my understanding is your biggest need). And that deal really softens up your cap situation, which, like it or not, is almost certain to be an issue down the road. Again, I understand that you can do it, but paying 4 players in the what, $39-$40m or so range? is almost certain to limit the team's options down the road.

I understand if you don't see the benefits that come with a Pesce-base / Nylander trade as being more valuable than overpaying Nylander, dealing with the cap issues, and finding (probably) lesser RHD elsewhere. The question becomes: how does Dubas view the calculus depending on timing and actual contract negotiations? Everyone seems really tightlipped about the situation, so we probably won't knowthe situation is finally resolved.

Oh, and for the record, my prediction on the "What happens to Nylander" poll is that the Leafs end up overpaying him on a long term contract. But I'm thinking it's only slightly, maybe in the low $7's.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You need to account for situation. If Nylander is being traded its because there isn't a deal to be made in Toronto, therefore his value will be almost impossible to maximize - especially in a 1 for 1 hockey deal. I don't see many teams offering an equal valued asset for an unsigned Nylander. Carolina isn't moving Pesce because they can't get him signed, they would include him for a talent upgrade such as Nylander.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
No, but the situations are different imo. I don't think a forward below Nylander grade is needed by the Canes as much as a defensive RHD is needed by the Leafs. And even if I'm looking for such a player, I'm shopping Faulk as the base (who is actually having a nice bounce back year) rather than Pesce. The only reason to shop Pesce is for a return like Nylander. Whereas if it comes down to it and the Leafs decide not to overpay Nylander, Pesce stands a good chance of being the best defensive RHD available (which to my understanding is your biggest need). And that deal really softens up your cap situation, which, like it or not, is almost certain to be an issue down the road. Again, I understand that you can do it, but paying 4 players in the what, $39-$40m or so range? is almost certain to limit the team's options down the road.

I understand if you don't see the benefits that come with a Pesce-base / Nylander trade as being more valuable than overpaying Nylander, dealing with the cap issues, and finding (probably) lesser RHD elsewhere. The question becomes: how does Dubas view the calculus depending on timing and actual contract negotiations? Everyone seems really tightlipped about the situation, so we probably won't knowthe situation is finally resolved.

Oh, and for the record, my prediction on the "What happens to Nylander" poll is that the Leafs end up overpaying him on a long term contract. But I'm thinking it's only slightly, maybe in the low $7's.

Agree with a majority of your points! Well said.
My prediction all along has been a 4 year deal at 5.5-5.75 AAV. Gives him 1 year before being a UFA, is closer to the money he is looking for and he can go for a big deal at 26.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jason Mackey's Penguins chat transcript: 11.8.18

Just throwing this out there, but the guy who said the Penguins were looking to trade Sprong also said this:

Vince: You have mentioned who the Pens might trade. Any ideas on who they may be targeting to get back?
Jason Mackey: I have not heard that, Vince. Only name I've kinda heard a little is the Zykov kid from Carolina, but that obviously wouldn't be a big move at all.
Steven: Is Zykov someone the Penguins are interested in, or someone that's available? That would be a pretty good example of your sour apple for sour apple trade. I'm not convinced either guy would do better in either spot (I think they've both got the same issues of IQ), but it wouldn't hurt to roll the dice on it I don't think
Jason Mackey: They've talked about him. That's all I know. May have been basic, may have been a little more. Not sure yet.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Can he play RW. I know he is a RS LW but has he played the right side at all?

I was a fan of his in junior but I don't remember him playing on the right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad