Friedman: Carolina will test the market for Zykov

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Islanders need to find a way to get this guy. He could really bloom learning the ropes from Anders Lee.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Seems like both him and Johnsson had a fair bit of hype coming into this year as older rookies who have dominated the A, and had a good NHL end to last season and aren't waiver exempt anymore(not that either would have been demoted), but have been put on 4th lines/scratched to start the season and the level of play just hasn't been there. I saw them as really similar level guys entering the year. Hope they both manage to turn it around. I think trading someone like that before giving them a chance to settle in with opportunity is kind of dumb unless you know they're just never going to fit in which is kind of a difficult thing to know at this point.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Feels like a candidate for a "change of scenery" prospect swap. Something like the Markus Granlund for Hunter Shinkaruk sort of deal. Just have to find that team with a prospect they're ready to give up on...and a roster spot up the lineup to burn on the guy for the season to see if there's anything there, or if that little hot streak was just a total flash in the pan.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’d like to see Zykov on a top heavy team next to some real talent. He looked solid with Aho last year but Ferland has taken that spot. Zykov is a great net-front player who can score in-tight. Very difficult to knock off the puck.

Doubt any team would pay much for him alone. Maybe a good toss-in. If the Canes won’t play him then I’d prefer to see him get a chance elsewhere, regardless of return.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Zykov potted some of those goals that most NHL'rs pot. But he's not fast enough or skilled enough to do anything but hope the puck comes to him in the right place for an easy goal.

That's sort of how all AHL quality players play. If they get some good bounces, they score a few goals, and people get excited. But when the bounces don't come, they produce 0, and you remember why he was in the AHL until the age of 23.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I’d like to see Zykov on a top heavy team next to some real talent. He looked solid with Aho last year but Ferland has taken that spot. Zykov is a great net-front player who can score in-tight. Very difficult to knock off the puck.

Doubt any team would pay much for him alone. Maybe a good toss-in. If the Canes won’t play him then I’d prefer to see him get a chance elsewhere, regardless of return.

I thought Ferland really exposes how limited Zykov is as a player. Last year with Aho and TT, it was Aho and TT doing their thing, and Zykov standing near the net hoping for rebounds. Contrast with Ferland who is very much a part of the whole offensive attack in terms of controlling the puck, setting up other guys, creating chances for himself, as well as doing what Zykov did just as well as Zykov did it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad