GDT: Carolina @ Tampa Bay 8 PM EDT USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not gonna lie, ESPN or TNT will eventually pick her up and it will be sad. Well, great for her but sad for us.
She deserves it if so. Worked her way up from like intern to in game host to her position now. Usually when you have a meteoric rise like that you are destined for the big time and rightfully so. But she's local and went to NCSU so we'll always know where her true allegiance lies, especially with video evidence like her celebrations lol

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I still haven’t gotten over Michelle McMahon getting poached and that was like five years ago now.

if Abby leaves I may never recover.
I mean Michelle was a Midwestern girl through and through, I wasn't too surprised when she left tbh. She was very good too though.

I still will never get Chantel McCabe falling upwards into the golf network though.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
A bottom-pair guy looking "replacement level" against a freakishly-loaded Tampa squad is to be expected. Heck, slightly above replacement-level play is what we've needed on the right side of our bottom-pair, and Hakanpaa's basically provided this. It's a more difficult commodity to find league-wide than you might think. Having Bean and Fleury being below-replacement on their off-hand wasn't cutting it vs. a Tampa+Kucherov, that's for sure.

To be fair Hakanpaa's on ice expected goals percentage was like 70% 5v5 tonight.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
To be fair Hakanpaa's on ice expected goals percentage was like 70% 5v5 tonight.

Yes, that's true. Sometimes his mistakes are magnified because he's a tad on the slow side (compared to the rest of our defensemen), but he recovers well and has underrated offensive awareness compared to what you typically expect from physical bottom-pair guys. Add that to the fact that right-handed defensemen that can skate and chew gum at the same time are like golden currency in the NHL, and you have a pretty decent pickup for a guy that Francis was leaning towards acquiring for free in the ED anyways.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
She deserves it if so. Worked her way up from like intern to in game host to her position now. Usually when you have a meteoric rise like that you are destined for the big time and rightfully so. But she's local and went to NCSU so we'll always know where her true allegiance lies, especially with video evidence like her celebrations lol
It's not like her career started with the Canes. She was an ACC Regional sideline reporter for Fox Sports football broadcasts as recently as 2019 before the Canes hired her full time. I remember her handling the interviews for the VT-UNC 6OT slugfest a couple years ago.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I came in late after watching. We seem to lose when I participate in the thread during game.

We looked knda bad. Again, IMO. With 3 forwards out now, this looks even worse. We got puck luck, and a few odd calls go our way last night. Especially the Stamkos icing. Refs were terrible for us vs NSH. Weve had things go our way vs TB.

Mrazek was great. Aho cares. Svech is out sick and a body double is there?

Hamilton is simply worthless, and watching him get shaken out is almost comical at this point. Slavin is like the dad to a toddler that keeps him from falling in the mud puddle by catching him as he is falling over. Hakkenpaa I like him. Sure he's not Slavin or Pesce, but I think he's a keep. I could care less if Hamilton walks.

We got lucky last night, but we found holes in Vashaicantspellhisnamesky finally.

If we can somehow manage to win game 4 and bring it home we may have a series. But the injuries are killing us. The upside is we have seemed to be able to contain, somewhat, one of the best offenses in the league. We literally held them to PPG's only tonight which is.... Well it's the way. We have GOT to keep scoring goals though. We might be able to do this, if our defense holds us.

Last edited:

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
screen_shot_2018-11-06_at_6.40.51_am.png

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
For as good as Ned is overall, Mrazek stepped in and looked flat out better, in my opinion.

We were certainly lucky to win, considering that Tampa had more scoring chances than we did. If we can stay out of the damn box, we could win this thing. But Tampa's powerplay looks unholy good right now. I'm pretty psyched at our 5v5 defense this series.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That win put a ton of pressure on Tampa. We just blocked their spike. Hopefully we can hold the line one more time.
I don't think its unjust to say the next game is a huge swing game for both teams. If we lose, I really don't like our chances coming back from 3-1 down in the series. If we win, we come back to Raleigh having regained home ice advantage in the series with all the momentum looking to take a stranglehold on the series against the defending champs with a crowd that would have had a shot of adrenaline injected into its aorta.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I don't think its unjust to say the next game is a huge swing game for both teams. If we lose, I really don't like our chances coming back from 3-1 down in the series. If we win, we come back to Raleigh having regained home ice advantage in the series with all the momentum looking to take a stranglehold on the series against the defending champs with a crowd that would have had a shot of adrenaline injected into its aorta.

Yep. Ton of pressure on Tampa. Expect a Blitzkrieg.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yep. Ton of pressure on Tampa. Expect a Blitzkrieg.
Double edged sword, though. It felt like this past game they tried to do the same thing, to assert their physical dominance on the series, and it took them off their game a bit. Made some stupid mistakes that gave us opportunities to at the very least neutralize their momentum. Petr had himself a great game, but I also think we did a very good job of limiting high danger chances and gave him clean looks as much as possible. The two goals they scored, only a legitimate save of the year would have prevented them. The rest didn't really require him to move around too much, which is a testament to how well we are playing defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad