Confirmed with Link: Carolina sign Ryan Dzingel - 3.375 x 2

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This could also be a signing that doesn't indicate Williams is retiring, but that the team is not interested in Williams at his asking price or term. Would anyone here want to offer Williams the Marleau contract the Leafs gave Marleau?

I don't think Williams would intentionally screw with the team like that. If anything, I'd think he'd sign for less than what he's worth than attempt to sign for an albatross contract.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Still around 7.75M in cap space left if Gibbons is in the AHL (which I expect). Only signings left to make are Fleury, Forsling, Saku, and McGinn. Should be less than 5M total spent on those 4, and Williams can take a 1 year performance bonus heavy deal which pushes those bonuses on to next years cap... which basically fills some of the Marleau buyout that comes off the books.

Canes are spenders this year and making serious moves to roll an extremely deep forward group... what a time to be alive.

I know! I'm not sure I can handle this thing...what is it? Oh yeah: optimism.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
giphy.gif

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I was thinking the same thing. McGinn's a 4th liner on this roster any way you swing it. Re-signing a guy through arbitration to play a minor role might not be within GMBC's appetite.
He and his agent may have been told they are allowed to talk to teams and if they can agree on a contract elsewhere Canes can sign&trade him for some sweet sweet picks.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
No i would not want to give Williams a Marleau deal. I don't think that is what he would be looking for though. If he is already considering retirement i'd doubt he would want any term longer than 1 year. Also i have to imagine money is not his first priority at this point in his career. A chance a winning one last cup and being close to his family is probably what he wants.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't think Williams would intentionally screw with the team like that. If anything, I'd think he'd sign for less than what he's worth than attempt to sign for an albatross contract.

No i would not want to give Williams a Marleau deal. I don't think that is what he would be looking for though. If he is already considering retirement i'd doubt he would want any term longer than 1 year. Also i have to imagine money is not his first priority at this point in his career. A chance a winning one last cup and being close to his family is probably what he wants.

Well, what does his agent think? And do you all think Marleau was trying to sign an Albatross contract with SJ when he eventually jumped to the Leafs because he couldn't get 3 years from San Jose? Marleau arguably had more ties and loyalty to the Sharks than Williams has to the Canes organization and he went out and did the best he could for his family after decades of being with one team.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Well, what does his agent think? And do you all think Marleau was trying to sign an Albatross contract with SJ when he eventually jumped to the Leafs because he couldn't get 3 years from San Jose? Marleau arguably had more ties and loyalty to the Sharks than Williams has to the Canes organization and he went out and did the best he could for his family after decades of being with one team.

Or, you could say he went from a team that never seemed to be able to win a Cup to a team that could maybe win one, and get paid in the process.

One of the reasons Williams has an affinity for this team, and this area, is that he won his first Cup here. He's won two more since. Unlike Marleau, he has nothing left to prove. He's decided that Raleigh is his home, and the only thing he's considering, as he made clear, is "do I come back for another year?"

I doubt money is the issue.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not a fan of Dzingel but you can't argue this signing. I love the fact we get both Mrazek and Dzingel under the typical free agent value. Man, we add a lot of speed with Haula, RD and Necas if he make it.

Reactions: Tryamw

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The depth up front is going to be silly. McGinn/Wallmark/Martinook on the 4th line is really a 3B. With the tempo this team plays, I can see them getting double digit EV time every night.
With that level of minute spreading and the fact that Brind'Amour will accept nothing less than the best conditioning you've ever had in your life this ought to be one heck of a third period team

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Nino-Aho-TT
Svech-Staal-Williams
Dzingle-Haula-Necas
Foegele-Martinook-Mcginn...wallmark

13 guys who can play in the top 9 effectively. at least 8 who can play in the top 6. Didn't have to trade a dman to get here.

Well I mean we did trade a dman but... sure we didn’t have to.

But actually if Williams does re-sign then we did need to trade a dman for the cap room. Unless we didn’t want to do the Marleau deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad