Carolina Panthers

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Wonder how much more Newton has left in the tank. He's looked like a guy who is about to have an early retirement throughout the season.
It's all about whether he can get his shoulder healthy again. Could return to his prior self like Luck, or could be like one of the many other countless QBs who never recover. It's sad to say but this could really be close to the end for him. Shoulder problems for QBs are a huge deal obviously.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Offense only puts up 7 at home with a trick play against the Saints mediocre D what a joke.

A few weeks ago you said they were "awful" when they were actually average.

Now you're saying they're "mediocre" when they're one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL atm

Maybe you should stop underestimating them

just a thought

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Aside from that, Cam is obviously hurt and probably worse than what's being advertised. Honestly I think he probably has cracked ribs or something like that. He's always super slow getting up from the huddle. He just looks beat up.

Panthers should work on upgrading their OL. Skill players are in good shape IMO. McCaffrey/Moore/Samuels is a good place to start and that Ian Thomas is going to be real good in a year or two. Probably need to find a bigger possession WR and again, draft OL early and often.

Another RB to take heavy carries and lighten Cmac's load wouldn't hurt either. I'm not sure a 200 pound RB will hold up long-term getting the number of touches he does.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
A few weeks ago you said they were "awful" when they were actually average.

Now you're saying they're "mediocre" when they're one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL atm

Maybe you should stop underestimating them

just a thought
I'm not underestimating them they just played the Panthers...Cam had guys open he just couldn't hit any of them whether they hit the ground early or severely underthrew the ball because he can't throw the ball more than 10 yards which the Saints can be passed on all day when a team with a passing attack plays them. Tepper should fire Rivera now if he even considers starting Cam again and not immediately letting him start on rehabbing.

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Aside from that, Cam is obviously hurt and probably worse than what's being advertised. Honestly I think he probably has cracked ribs or something like that. He's always super slow getting up from the huddle. He just looks beat up.

Yep. Forget 100%, he's not even 50%. Healthy Cam gets run over by a freight train and pops back up like it never even happened. This Cam looks like he can barely get out of bed in the morning. He's so beat up that I honestly doubt whether he could have made the throw that CMC did. Maybe it's just his shoulder, maybe there's more to the story. Either way, I'm not ready to say his career is done, but his season should be.

I get the competitive spirit on his part, and the fact that the team wants to use the guy who gives them the best chance to win, but there's nothing left to gain. Just shut him down before it gets any worse.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm not underestimating them they just played the Panthers...Cam had guys open he just couldn't hit any of them whether they hit the ground early or severely underthrew the ball because he can't throw the ball more than 10 yards which the Saints can be passed on all day when a team with a passing attack plays them.

How do you reconcile then, that the Saints over the last 6 games are allowing 11.8 points per game, allowing less than 200 yards passing per game and a passer rating against of 72.1? Again, in the last 6 games: 28 sacks, 14 turnovers, 4 second-half shutouts and a total of 17 second half points allowed? Those numbers don't lie. That's not "average." C'mon man.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
How do you reconcile then, that the Saints over the last 6 games are allowing 11.8 points per game, allowing less than 200 yards passing per game and a passer rating against of 72.1? Again, in the last 6 games: 28 sacks, 14 turnovers, 4 second-half shutouts and a total of 17 second half points allowed? Those numbers don't lie. That's not "average." C'mon man.
They played garbage teams especially on offense.....Bucs Cowboys and Panthers recently aren't doing anything...Cowboys just got shutout by the Colts.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Either way that game was fun. Those two teams really, really dislike each other. The Saints-Falcons series gets more attention in terms of being a rivalry but those games don't get near as nasty as Saints-Panthers usually does.

And another thing for the Panthers, people need to get off this "fire Rivera" bandwagon. It's dumb and reactionary. He's proven himself to be a very good head coach. You can't start talking about firing your coach because of one down year. Steelers went 8-8 in back to back seasons, they didn't fire Tomlin. Saints went 7-9 three straight years, they didn't fire Payton. There are so many things you can do to address a team's problems without firing the coach and thinking that's going to be a quick fix.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Either way that game was fun. Those two teams really, really dislike each other. The Saints-Falcons series gets more attention in terms of being a rivalry but those games don't get near as nasty as Saints-Panthers usually does.

And another thing for the Panthers, people need to get off this "fire Rivera" bandwagon. It's dumb and reactionary. He's proven himself to be a very good head coach. You can't start talking about firing your coach because of one down year. Steelers went 8-8 in back to back seasons, they didn't fire Tomlin. Saints went 7-9 three straight years, they didn't fire Payton. There are so many things you can do to address a team's problems without firing the coach and thinking that's going to be a quick fix.

I’ve always found it fascinating how in pro sports the coaches become the scapegoats. Sure some definitely deserve it, but it’s the successful coaches that get let go after one or two unsuccessful seasons that make me go hmmmm.

Like how does a guy like Joel Quenville, a guy who coached a team to 3 Stanley Cups in the last 10 years, get fired?? It’s blatant obvious he can coach a team to win a cup if the right pieces are in place and it’s obvious those pieces are not there currently in Chicago. So that results into him taking the blame and losing his job? It’s just silly, but it’s such a part of the current pro sports culture.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yes, the Panthers are suffering from a hurt Cam this year, but Cam being 100% would not make this a championship caliber team. The secondary is still a mess, OL has been ignored for a criminally lengthy amount of time. and the WRs are still mediocre at best, and we have no power running game, outside of letting Cam take it up the middle. This is not a contending team, and won't be unless Cam plays at a superhuman level, which is far too much to expect out of any QB.

Its easier to look at a team like Philadelphia, which has been thoroughly gutted by injuries this year, and say the injury bug ruined a season, because they ran over the NFL last year, didn't really shake up the roster, and saw some entire units wiped out to injury (that secondary was gutted from the start, for example... They have guys starting who weren't on the 2-deep in Week 6). The Panthers are a product of thinking Cam can mask all the offensive issues, and when he's hurt, things crumble fast.

What is most worrisome right now is that Cam absolutely needs to be shut down. He doesn't need to be throwing the ball anymore this year. He needs to sit for his own health. But he's not going to because Ron is coaching for his career and is going to play Cam until he's fired. He's going to jeopardize the long term health of the franchise player to save his own skin. Tepper needs to take control and deactivate Cam to take the decision out of his hands. If we allow Rivera to do to Cam what Shanahan did to RG3, this franchise will be set back a decade and I'm not sure it'll recover anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad