GDT: Carolina Panthers 4: No more Rhule(s)!

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
If they get this right, one guy is heads above the rest, and they pick him…it’s worth it. They get a franchise QB for the next 15 years. If any other scenario plays out, it will set them back another 5 years. Gutsy move with the big names being on the small for NFL QBs side. Don’t hit me with the this short guy was good. When you can pick out the outliers, you make my point for me. Size is a metric just like anything else

Reactions: A Star is Burns

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Last year we went 7-10 with Rhule/Wilks and Baker/Sam at QB.

Stroud/Young along with Reich and this staff he's built is enough of an upgrade at the 2 most important spots for an NFL team to add 4-5 wins to last year's team easily. Trading away DJ maybe takes away 1 or 2 wins, so still should be a 10 or 11 win team as soon as this year, and we still have an early 2nd round pick to add a WR/TE.

Also regarding the offense, we have an elite OL which is by far the most important thing for a young QB. Weapons will come in time. Next offseason we have like $150M in cap space and can spend for some weapons. This is by far the most excited I've been as a Panthers fan since Cam was in his prime and healthy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Last year we went 7-10 with Rhule/Wilks and Baker/Sam at QB.

Stroud/Young along with Reich and this staff he's built is enough of an upgrade at the 2 most important spots for an NFL team to add 4-5 wins to last year's team easily. Trading away DJ maybe takes away 1 or 2 wins, so still should be a 10 or 11 win team as soon as this year, and we still have an early 2nd round pick to add a WR/TE.

Also regarding the offense, we have an elite OL which is by far the most important thing for a young QB. Weapons will come in time. Next offseason we have like $150M in cap space and can spend for some weapons. This is by far the most excited I've been as a Panthers fan since Cam was in his prime and healthy.
Probably a bit optimistic with the wins at 11.
Wait and see what TB/Atl do at QB.

Nfc North and Afc South are their other divisions to play plus Rams, Dolphins and Giants.
Not many massive QB disparities. Cousins and Goff the best in the North and Lawrence for Jax. After that I wouldn’t say the likes of fields, Love and whomever else those 3 clubs put under C are massive upgrades unless Ten gets Rodgers.

Edit* got mixed Ip with Carolina seeding schedule for next season. They draft ahead of NO yet have the second place schedule opponents in 2023.

Dak, Geno, and Tua right now middle of the pack. Thus not playing rams and Stafford who when healthy is top 10.

Even Carr is borderline 10th or so at his best. But for the most part is around the Cousins level.

OL is more vital than weapons early for a QB. Don’t have the QB run for his life especially considering the OL’s that Young and Stroud played behind in college.

I think the pick will be stroud. I do wonder how he will fare when the quality of his WR isn’t anywhere as good as his OSU teammates. Going to Be much tighter windows for him.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If by set up well, you mean well enough to back into the playoffs with a 7-10 or 8-9 record because of said shit division, I agree. I think they'll be able to run the ball and play defense well enough to be in the top half of the league but they absolutely can't afford to miss on the QB choice or they're basically right back where they started with the Bridgewater > Darnold > Mayfield mess they've been in the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Not shocked if they do. Aesthetic has essentially remained the same since the team formed and I would think Tepper wants to put his own stamp on it.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't want a small qb. Gives me Pat White flashbacks. Sorry WVU fans....you can be too small for the NFL.

Stroud has the tangibles and intangibles you need. That accuracy is on point.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I actually slightly prefer Young even though I am wary of small QBs too but I feel Stroud is mostly living off of his performance against UGA where he was throwing to a WR group better than some NFL teams, whereas Bama's WR corps was sort of mediocre especially compared to some of their past groups. But I'd be happy with Stroud. Just say f*** no to Levis and Richardson, I'd rather take Hooker #1 overall than those two.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think Calvin Johnson would be one of the best WRs all time behind Jerry Rice had the Lions not killed his joy for football like they did with Barry Sanders too. A lot of good WRs on that list though. Smith might be one of the most underrated of all-time, only played for a few good Panthers teams in his prime.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I think Calvin Johnson would be one of the best WRs all time behind Jerry Rice had the Lions not killed his joy for football like they did with Barry Sanders too. A lot of good WRs on that list though. Smith might be one of the most underrated of all-time, only played for a few good Panthers teams in his prime.
If Smith wasn't forced out of Carolina, it would be interesting to see what would have happened in regards to their competitive ability up to and including SB50 as well as Cam's health. Doubt he is asked to be as much of a battering ram with Olsen and Smitty every game to throw to

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yes, very different than here but I like the board a lot. Not for everyone however.

I think I last posted there and said something about Kelvin Benjamin was a star in the making (when in reality he was a Popeyes biscuit away from being a tight end).

But the bulk of my time there was when everyone had Firefox avatars and Matt Moore vs Jimmy Clausen was the great debate.

NFL fan boards in general have way too many "I'm smarter than you" types. I think the chillest fanbase might be Jacksonville. Like us if you've been subjected to a bad product and have had fans of other teams offer you up to the relocation gods, then humor becomes second nature I guess. Small-market bros too.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

If Smith wasn't forced out of Carolina, it would be interesting to see what would have happened in regards to their competitive ability up to and including SB50 as well as Cam's health. Doubt he is asked to be as much of a battering ram with Olsen and Smitty every game to throw to

Much ado about nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad