Proposal: Carolina - Los Angeles

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Well that’s pretty terrible value for Carolina

I think pretty terrible might be a little hyperbolic, but yeah, Bean is worth more than that. The only issue for LA with trading for Bean is that that's yet another player the Kings will need to protect in the expansion draft.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can confirm. Nyquist was dealt for a 2nd and a 3rd 2 years ago and he had 49 points on a bad Red Wings team.

Two years ago, we weren't staring down the barrel of a flat cap...with bigger "upside" offensive players like Hoffman, Granlund, and even more versatile middle-sixer like Haula still sitting out there right now, waiting for a contract, and only a few landing spots with the cap space to make it work.

Maybe if we get down to the deadline next year, and teams start to build up substantial LTIR cushions...Nino becomes a bigger option. But at that point, it just seems even more like someone the Hurricanes (assuming they're in the playoff race as they'd be expected to be), should just keep as solid quality depth that can play up the lineup as injuries take hold over a playoff run.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think pretty terrible might be a little hyperbolic, but yeah, Bean is worth more than that. The only issue for LA with trading for Bean is that that's yet another player the Kings will need to protect in the expansion draft.

Totally fair. The expansion thing is something to consider but just in terms of a pure value offer that trade isn’t pretty slanted towards LA. Like I don’t know Iafallo a ton but I don’t even know if Carolina would trade Bean straight up in that deal. He’s definitely not a need so again just going back to pure value in a vacuum it doesn’t seem great for the Canes.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Totally fair. The expansion thing is something to consider but just in terms of a pure value offer that trade isn’t pretty slanted towards LA. Like I don’t know Iafallo a ton but I don’t even know if Carolina would trade Bean straight up in that deal. He’s definitely not a need so again just going back to pure value in a vacuum it doesn’t seem great for the Canes.

I mean, not to belabor the point, but he’s a top six defensively responsible winger who would have been third on the Canes in goals scored and fourth in points, despite the fact that the Canes outscored LA 222-178 on the season. He also averaged 1:30 in shorthanded time on ice per game, second only to Kopitar among forwards. He had pretty good possession numbers too.

He would improve every team in the league.

Reactions: Guitpik

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Two years ago, we weren't staring down the barrel of a flat cap...with bigger "upside" offensive players like Hoffman, Granlund, and even more versatile middle-sixer like Haula still sitting out there right now, waiting for a contract, and only a few landing spots with the cap space to make it work.

Maybe if we get down to the deadline next year, and teams start to build up substantial LTIR cushions...Nino becomes a bigger option. But at that point, it just seems even more like someone the Hurricanes (assuming they're in the playoff race as they'd be expected to be), should just keep as solid quality depth that can play up the lineup as injuries take hold over a playoff run.

The posts in question were referring to Iafallo, who is at a salary much easier for a contender to fit in

Sounds like many Kings fans are hoping to just keep him. Useful player

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean, not to belabor the point, but he’s a top six defensively responsible winger who would have been third on the Canes in goals scored and fourth in points, despite the fact that the Canes outscored LA 222-178 on the season. He also averaged 1:30 in shorthanded time on ice per game, second only to Kopitar among forwards. He had pretty good possession numbers too.

He would improve every team in the league.

He had a good year and has developed well. I agree with you that he’d be an asset to any team but he’s not exactly the upgrade we need in the forward core. We have Aho, TT, Svech, Trochek, and Necas in our top 6. Our need is for a LW who is enough of an upgrade on Nino or whoever to play on the top line and contribute with Aho and TT. If Nino is playing to the top of his abilities then he fills that roll well. If he doesn’t then there’s a hole there.

The 3rd line is set with Foegele - Staal - Fast and Iafollo would be wasted on the 4th line clearly.

I think we’re expecting over a full season that Trochek should be a 50+ point player and if Necas continues developing off his really good rookie campaign then he could hit that mark as well.

So it’s more of a fit thing than anything. It’s not that Iafollo isn’t worth what you guys are asking it’s just that he’s not worth it to the Canes.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Here a whole new take to this. The kings maybe in a playoff hunt this year and I would rather keep Iafallo then trade him. The way the new divisions playout the kings only have to beat out one of avs blues knight or stars. This of course is the old playoff format. If they go to last years format the kings should make the playoffs as they will have a lot of game vs teams of the same ability Duck sharks coyotes etc. I think its very possible we can make a spot or at the very least be in it at the trade deadline and with cap space we should be able to add the better pieces available . Also we have a lot of cap space coming off to resign him.

Reactions: go4hockey

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Here a whole new take to this. The kings maybe in a playoff hunt this year and I would rather keep Iafallo then trade him. The way the new divisions playout the kings only have to beat out one of avs blues knight or stars. This of course is the old playoff format. If they go to last years format the kings should make the playoffs as they will have a lot of game vs teams of the same ability Duck sharks coyotes etc. I think its very possible we can make a spot or at the very least be in it at the trade deadline and with cap space we should be able to add the better pieces available . Also we have a lot of cap space coming off to resign him.
Even with a division realignment I don’t see the Kings being a playoff team no disrespect but finishing 1 point above last place in the Pacific division with not many changes made on their current roster doesn’t make them any better then what they were last season.

Sure they have a few nice prospects coming in with Vilardi already on the roster but those prospects are going to have to earn ice time under Todd McLellan’s coaching staff.

Iafallo is also UFA at the end of the season but it remains to be seen if Blake will resign Iafallo or gain assets in trade for Iafallo.

Last edited:

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
A cheap 1st line winger for a over paid bottom 6 player and 2 mid picks The kings would like to thank you for your interest but if u looking to get him your starting with a 2nd (at least) even than a nice piece should be added to it
Having iafallo as a 1st line winger is part of the reason the kings are one of the worst teams in the league. On no planet is iafallo better than nino

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
No it isn't. Bean is greatly overated. It would likely be bad for LA. I wouldn't give up more than a late 2nd for Bean.

Thats fine. He’s worth far more than that to us and to most other teams I would suspect. Hes a 22 year old that was named AHL top defenseman last year. He’s NHL ready and has good upside, we just don’t have space for him

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Is it? I know your a fan of Iafallo and the Kings but settle down and think about it for awhile young blood.

If you were a savy businessman running a franchise in a general managers role in the current environment the NHL is in what would you do? Would you think like everyone else get your blood boiling and say yea Iafallo should get a 1st rounder or even a high 2nd and a really good prospect, I should overvalue my asset in a flat cap market and see what happens only to find dial tones in your ear.

It may have been that way before the salary cap and some while even after the salary cap era but times have changed especially due to the pandemic.

Teams are holding onto high 1st and 2nd round picks and shedding salary like never before. I don’t believe you’d get much of a better offer for Iafallo certainly not a 1st rounder alone sonny.

The Kings could choose to resign Iafallo but in a year or two when way more talented prospects push him down the 4th line he’ll have salary and term on his contract taking up a roster spot, when that salary could have been used to resign the more talented players coming off of ELC’s and by that time Carter’s Brown’s Neiderreiter’s and Frk’s contract would have already been off the books.

This proposal is just good business for a rebuilding team like the Kings while a contender gets a player that can help compete and it’s a win win for both teams only the Kings win will be in the future once all those draft picks Rob Blake has drafted blossom into an overflow of talent that will help the Kings win for many years down the line.

I doubt a players of Iafallo skill or lack thereof will be missed in 2-3 even 4 seasons once Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Akil Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, Madden, Fagemo, Dudas and Grundstrom are lighting up the staples center with goals and wins not to mention the plethora of defensemen the Kings have drafted and the 9 picks they have in the 2021 draft.

I think the point is that you’re trying to give us a cap dump for a useful and productive player. And in return your offering us a player we don’t need while we’re in rebuild mode. And a contract we don’t need to pay. Asset management has as much to do with not acquiring players we don’t need as it has to do with money management. I don’t think anyone doubts that Nino would be a great asset on a playoff favorite team needing good bottom 6 leadership. We (The Kings) are not that team. And right now we love what Iafallo brings to this team. We’ll worry about signing him (or not) when we cross that bridge. At this time your offer is just not a need for us and doesn’t move the needle one bit. And this GM is not gonna give any other team a leg up because Kings management are nice guys and your team really need that player. Part of good asset management is knowing what your players are worth and expecting that in trade.

so that offer would be a hard no from this 45-year-kings fan.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I think the point is that you’re trying to give us a cap dump for a useful and productive player. And in return your offering us a player we don’t need while we’re in rebuild mode. And a contract we don’t need to pay. Asset management has as much to do with not acquiring players we don’t need as it has to do with money management. I don’t think anyone doubts that Nino would be a great asset on a team needing good bottom 6 leadership. We are not that team. And right now we love what Iafallo brings to this team. We’ll worry about signing him (or not) when we cross that bridge. Right now your offer just not a need for us and doesn’t move the needle one bit. And we’re not gonna give any other team a leg up because were nice guys and they really need that player. Part of good asset management is knowing what your players are worth and expecting that in trade.

so that offer would be a hard no from this 45-year-kings fan.
Fair enough. Blake doesn’t need to worry about Iafallo right now and can kick Iafallo’s contract some months down the road.

Blake will have a decision to make regarding Iafallo eventually if he can’t come to terms with Iafallo it’s possible he could be traded for something if not Iafallo could go UFA.

I know Blake has 9 picks in the next draft and could add a few more picks as leverage to move up in rounds if he sees a player he wants, I wouldn’t let Iafallo go for nothing but I would try to grab something for him if it becomes known that Iafallo has no intention of resigning with Los Angeles.

Blake is a great evaluator of amateur talent so I wouldn’t mind handing him a few more picks in the next draft, if that option opens up before him.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Fair enough. Blake doesn’t need to worry about Iafallo right now and can kick Iafallo’s contract some months down the road.

Blake will have a decision to make regarding Iafallo eventually if he can’t come to terms with Iafallo it’s possible he could be traded for something if not Iafallo could go UFA.

I know Blake has 9 picks in the next draft and could add a few more picks as leverage to move up in rounds if he sees a player he wants, I wouldn’t let Iafallo go for nothing but I would try to grab something for him if it becomes known that Iafallo has no intention of resigning with Los Angeles.

Blake is a great evaluator of amateur talent so I wouldn’t mind handing him a few more picks in the next draft, if that option opens up before him.

Blake will almost certainly re-sign Iafallo. But Seattle would be unwise to select Iafallo without a contract, if that’s the angle Blake is playing for, when they could likely pick up someone like Clague or Grundstrom and guarantee RFA rights for a few years to come. But my guess is that both LA and Iafallo would like to wait as long as possible anyway because of COVID and financial uncertainty.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Even with a division realignment I don’t see the Kings being a playoff team no disrespect but finishing 1 point above last place in the Pacific division with not many changes made on their current roster doesn’t make them any better then what they were last season.

Sure they have a few nice prospects coming in with Vilardi already on the roster but those prospects are going to have to earn ice time under Todd McLellan’s coaching staff.

Iafallo is also UFA at the end of the season but it remains to be seen if Blake will resign Iafallo or gain assets in trade for Iafallo.

When you're coming out of the rebuild as LA is, improvement comes from the farm, not from other teams. LA already is improved last year but only got to show it for about 10 games before the season got cut short. This year, that same improved team is coming back, plus hopefully a couple of hurt guys will come back a bit like Carter, and more than a few highly rated youngsters will get their shot as well.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They will finish higher than they did last season. There are very few doubts about that. Any one who thinks the Kings will be a playoff team is kidding themselves though

This is how the Kings finished the year
Wed, Feb 26vsPittsburghW2-123-35-6PetersenPetersen
Sat, Feb 29vsNew JerseyW2-1 OT24-35-6QuickQuick
Sun, Mar 1@VegasW4-125-35-6PetersenPetersen
Thu, Mar 5vsTorontoW1-0 SO26-35-6QuickQuick
Sat, Mar 7vsMinnesotaW7-327-35-6PetersenBrown
Mon, Mar 9vsColoradoW3-128-35-6QuickQuick
Wed, Mar 11vsOttawaW3-229-41-6PetersenVilardi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Kings were VERY streaky last year. They had a new coach and a new system. Carter will finally be healthy, Vilardi was a huge boost and their defense is already better than last year.

Reactions: BringTheReign

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I wouldn’t consider a player that just turned 28 in September an old dude as you’ve stated. Once players get over 30 years old the miles on their wheels tend to rack up.

Neiderreiter can also still be a productive player in the right situation, I don’t understand why some posters dismiss Neiderreiter as if he were a trash player because of 1 down season that was cutoff.

In fact I’ll go out on a limb and state that if Neiderreiter was healthy and on the Kings 1st line he’d most likely out produce Iafallo in that same spot while boasting way better possession numbers.

If you ask me who the more talented player is it would be close but if both players are at the top of their game I’d go with Neiderreiter but as far as value goes I believe Iafallo has more value due to the fact that his cap hit is lower and his contract is up at the end of the season.

If Iafallo can have another season like he did last year it bodes well for Los Angeles but if something we’re to happen and Iafallo game drops off he will eventually get passed by, he may get passed by either way regardless once the many LA’s prospects break into the Kings lineup.

I guess what I dont get is why we’re having such an in-depth convo for a player you think is better than Alex I. We know what Nino brings, we just don’t need that contract right now. Having NN does nothing to advance this team at this point be in fact clogs up a space for next year. It will be much easier to trade Alex I At the deadline then it will be to move Nino should we need to. I don’t think anybody is trying to dis Nino. He’s just not a need on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad