Proposal: Carolina - Los Angeles

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I wouldn’t say Niederreiter doesn’t have any value as points are not the only measure of a players value especially if Carolina is retaining in the OP 925k which would put Nino at 4,325,000 to the kings x 2 seasons subtract Iafallo’s 2,425,000 and the difference is 1.9mil the Kings would gain for Nino a 3rd and a potential 4th if Nino gets 30 points in the final year of his contract.

The Kings have 3 forwards over 30, Frk is 27 and every other forward is 26 or under no disrespect but I wouldn’t call 3 players over 30 and a 27 yr old AHL level player with a great shot a lot of veterans.

In the current environment the NHL is in due to the pandemic the Kings would be hard pressed to get a 1st let alone a 2nd for Iafallo by himself in any deal as 1st rounders are usually hard to come by let alone having many cap strapped teams looking to save cap while holding more value in draft picks as ELC’s are obviously cheaper in the short term.
Then the kings just hold on to Iafallo.
Trading a first liner(on the Kings) who they know has chemistry for a bottom 6er where they take on salary to gain a 3rd rounder? And a conditional 4th?

You have to pay the Kings to take on the cap space. Team's wouldn't take Johnson for free.
Remember how carlina got TOR's 1st to buy out Marleau? Cap space is worth exponentially more now

There are plenty of vets the kings could acquire for much much less because of the value of cap space right now

Without the canes upping their offer pretty substantially, this doesn't make sense for the kings

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Thats pretty lowball, eieio would get more in a trade elsewhere without having to pick up neiderreiter.

I think iafallo gets re signed.
Is it? I know your a fan of Iafallo and the Kings but settle down and think about it for awhile young blood.

If you were a savy businessman running a franchise in a general managers role in the current environment the NHL is in what would you do? Would you think like everyone else get your blood boiling and say yea Iafallo should get a 1st rounder or even a high 2nd and a really good prospect, I should overvalue my asset in a flat cap market and see what happens only to find dial tones in your ear.

It may have been that way before the salary cap and some while even after the salary cap era but times have changed especially due to the pandemic.

Teams are holding onto high 1st and 2nd round picks and shedding salary like never before. I don’t believe you’d get much of a better offer for Iafallo certainly not a 1st rounder alone sonny.

The Kings could choose to resign Iafallo but in a year or two when way more talented prospects push him down the 4th line he’ll have salary and term on his contract taking up a roster spot, when that salary could have been used to resign the more talented players coming off of ELC’s and by that time Carter’s Brown’s Neiderreiter’s and Frk’s contract would have already been off the books.

This proposal is just good business for a rebuilding team like the Kings while a contender gets a player that can help compete and it’s a win win for both teams only the Kings win will be in the future once all those draft picks Rob Blake has drafted blossom into an overflow of talent that will help the Kings win for many years down the line.

I doubt a players of Iafallo skill or lack thereof will be missed in 2-3 even 4 seasons once Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Akil Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, Madden, Fagemo, Dudas and Grundstrom are lighting up the staples center with goals and wins not to mention the plethora of defensemen the Kings have drafted and the 9 picks they have in the 2021 draft.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Is it? I know your a fan of Iafallo and the Kings but settle down and think about it for awhile young blood.

If you were a savy businessman running a franchise in a general managers role in the current environment the NHL is in what would you do? Would you think like everyone else get your blood boiling and say yea Iafallo should get a 1st rounder or even a high 2nd and a really good prospect, I should overvalue my asset in a flat cap market and see what happens only to find dial tones in your ear.

It may have been that way before the salary cap and some while even after the salary cap era but times have changed especially due to the pandemic.

Teams are holding onto high 1st and 2nd round picks and shedding salary like never before. I don’t believe you’d get much of a better offer for Iafallo certainly not a 1st rounder alone sonny.

The Kings could choose to resign Iafallo but in a year or two when way more talented prospects push him down the 4th line he’ll have salary and term on his contract taking up a roster spot, when that salary could have been used to resign the more talented players coming off of ELC’s and by that time Carter’s Brown’s Neiderreiter’s and Frk’s contract would have already been off the books.

This proposal is just good business for a rebuilding team like the Kings while a contender gets a player that can help compete and it’s a win win for both teams only the Kings win will be in the future once all those draft picks Rob Blake has drafted blossom into an overflow of talent that will help the Kings win for many years down the line.

I doubt a players of Iafallo skill or lack thereof will be missed in 2-3 even 4 seasons once Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Akil Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, Madden, Fagemo, Dudas and Grundstrom are lighting up the staples center with goals and wins not to mention the plethora of defensemen the Kings have drafted and the 9 picks they have in the 2021 draft.

I only read half of this, but forget the youngblood sonny shit.

I wouldnt move iafallo for your crap offer, dont cry about it.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah this just doesn't make sense. Iafallo alone I'd pay above a 3rd rounder to get given his production, then add in that Nino is essentially a dump it doesn't make sense. Cap is at a premium these days, and you can't just use a cap dump + a 3rd to get a useful, half ppg player.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Lol this is one of the most ridiculous things that I have read here.

All.of your talk about savvy businessman and you don't look at the other side of a trade there little buckaroo!

$$$$$ and cap space are worth everything right now.
There are teams who don't have enough players to fill their rosters because of cap space and you expect a team to take on an overpaid cap dump like you are doing them a favor.

Iafallo is probably worth around a third , but the Kings don't need to trade him. They are better off holding on to him
if you want nino included the price goes way up.
I don't understand why that concept is so hard to grasp especially when your own team weaponized cap space last year

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

You’re forgetting the part where the Kings like Iafallo and don’t need to take on Nino’s contract. Especially not for just a third round pick. Iafallo is a better player than Neiderreiter, bottom line. His cap hit is lower, he is younger, and he produces more.

No one is saying it’s the worst deal we’ve ever seen, but the Kings have no reason to do this. Your condescending attitude doesn’t help, you just sound like a jerk.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Given the prospects already in the pipeline and the fact that the Kings already have nine draft picks in the upcoming draft, this proposal really serves no purpose for the Kings. Niederreiter has an extra year and costs nearly twice as much as Iafallo, and is less productive of a player and two years older, and that retention figure is miniscule.

Those draft picks really do nothing for the Kings. Now what would be more compelling is if Carolina offered one of their decent defensemen, or Warren Foegele.
Foegele is mostly likely out of the question we both know that.

You made some good points. If the Kings are resigning Iafallo at a higher rate with term which he will probably be looking for does that suit the Kings rebuild and does that include Iafallo.

I don’t see Iafallo as a core piece of the Kings roster, I won’t pretend to know everything about the player Iafallo but touching on that since we hasn’t discussed Iafallo’s game too much in this thread he was on a 1st line but on most other teams let’s be honest Iafallo is not a 1st liner also would you want to pay Iafallo probably twice the salary and twice the term he will probably be asking for or take the picks and only two years of a serviceable Neiderreiter.

Lets look close at Iafallo’s game, the skating is kinda slow and at times looks clumsy, I do see it getting better no. His goals he scored on even strength are mostly sloppy rebounds or lucky deflections neither of his own doing more often then not. His shot and vision aren’t really nothing to write home about, the stick handling is average. Iafallo does have a chippy game and he does have drive and he’ll be in the middle of a dogpile to defend teammates but is that worth more then what he is making now and in a few years will it even matter once the more talented players start passing him by.

You could tell me more about his game I’d be glad to read it but there’s things I see in his game that turn me away and I’m not really impressed, if he wasn’t on a 1st line would he be productive, I would say not in the points department but more likely in the chippy play department.

Now back to the business side of things, if Blake is still rebuilding why not give him as many picks as he needs refill the cupboard to full capacity and let the best players rise to the top on cheap ELC contracts. I don’t understand why anyone would want to waste money on a dime a dozen player that doesn’t have much use to a rebuilding team of his skill set.

Maybe I’m off my rocker but perhaps you and other Kings fans could enlighten me and tell me more about Iafallo game.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
No interest in trading Iafallo. He's a useful player who will gradually slot lower in the lineup as the young talent earns more minutes.

Nino is useless to LA, we're not re-signing Trevor Lewis so the whole "need another veteran" line is misinformed.

We don't need more mid round picks. We've already got 9 picks, have drafted 18 players in the last 2 drafts, and traded for an additional 4 prospects in that same period. We're already going to have issues finding SPC and AHL space for the picks and prospects we already have.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Lol this is one of the most ridiculous things that I have read here.

All.of your talk about savvy businessman and you don't look at the other side of a trade there little buckaroo!

$$$$$ and cap space are worth everything right now.
There are teams who don't have enough players to fill their rosters because of cap space and you expect a team to take on an overpaid cap dump like you are doing them a favor.

Iafallo is probably worth around a third , but the Kings don't need to trade him. They are better off holding on to him
if you want nino included the price goes way up.
I don't understand why that concept is so hard to grasp especially when your own team weaponized cap space last year
Your right, the other side of the trade, Kings $$$$$ and cap space are the most important thing in the NHL right now I agree completely if anyone denies that then they wouldn’t be here for a conversation.

Neiderreiter is overpaid, again I agree with your point and even though I took retention in Neiderreiter it is a minuscule amount of salary in terms of the flat cap environment, although I dont see it as a favor.

Your right on again, Rob Blake does not need to trade Iafallo, are they better off holding onto him, well that remains to be seen only games and time can tell. What we don’t agree on is the price or in this instance the value but I’ve made my points and you’ve made yours respectively. We have our own opinions.

Just one other thing, not that it matters but I’m not a fan of either team since you’ve mentioned it.
Carolina is a division rival so they are the last team I want to see get better especially since my favorite team may end up competing against them in the playoffs.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I've never seen another poster dig in so hard on his opinions. (Shootout to Bern-title lost my friend) He's not even a Canes fan so why he's soo hell bent on defending a deal nobody else seems to see merit in is beyond me. This is absolutely not a good deal for LA.

Last edited:

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
Iafallo isn’t a bad player why not try to gain future assets for a player that’s obviously been pumped up being on the Kings 1st line.

To Blake it’s just good business to gain future assets and by the way his tenure has been as LA’s GM he seems to love draft picks as his drafting has been excellent thus far.

Not a fan of the Kings but if Blake keeps drafting the way he has been LA could be a scary team to play against for years to come.

LA doesn’t need Nino for an extra year but the proposal on the Kings side wasn’t all about Nino alone there are also picks attached including if Niederreiter gets to a certain point mark, also Niederreiter contract runs out when Brown’s and Carter’s contracts run their course as well gaining space for the Kings to resign any player they deem worthy of resigning coming off an ELC in the future.
Why take on Nino contract thou? They could flip him for the other assets minus him. That deal seems like something to consider at the deadline or at next year’s draft.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
:canesAcquires: LW Alex Iafallo

:kingsAcquires: LW Nino Niederreiter (Carolina retains 925k x 2), a 3rd round pick in 2021 and a conditional 4th round pick in 2022.
(Condition Niederreiter hits 30 point mark for full 82 game season in 2021-22 season.

The Hurricanes saves some cap on this move to also make another move at a deadline to bolster their lineup for a cup run while adding a good winger in Iafallo, that can play up and down the Hurricanes lineup wherever needed.

The Kings make this move to gain a veteran bottom 6 player with a mean streak that plays in high traffic areas and could help mentor the young players Los Angeles will be bringing into their lineup over the next few seasons this proposal also has a possibility for the Kings to gain few mid round picks for the end of the Kings rebuild.
My question...why would LA RECEIVE a conditional/bonus pick if Nino performs well...shouldn't that go the other way? Or they get a bonus pick if he DOESN'T hit a certain mark? As a Canes fan, I haven't really seen Iafallo play enough to comment on the actual trade or value...the conditional pick is just a head-scratcher

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
My question...why would LA RECEIVE a conditional/bonus pick if Nino performs well...shouldn't that go the other way? Or they get a bonus pick if he DOESN'T hit a certain mark? As a Canes fan, I haven't really seen Iafallo play enough to comment on the actual trade or value...the conditional pick is just a head-scratcher
If the conditional pick is taken out then it would seem less fair to Los Angeles, since the Kings are taking the higher cap hit of Niederreiter.

Niederreiter is still a decent player but he is at a higher cap hit then Iafallo. The Kings have plenty of cap space to fit Nino in (just over 13.6mil).

Neiderreiter plays big and has always used his size well but isn’t the player he was in Minnesota mostly due to injuries but Nino isn’t afraid to go into the dirty areas and has somewhat of a mean streak.

Could Niederreiter return to mid 50 point form it’s certainly not out of the question as Nino is only 1 season removed from a 53 point campaign in 18-19 but most fans in the thread are valuing Iafallo more then Nino due to playing in the Kings 1st line while Nino has been at just under 15 minutes on ice average on Carolina’s 3rd line mostly while boasting much better possession stats then Iafallo.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes don't really have a need for Iafallo but they do have a need for Cap space.

Jake Bean + Nino Niederreiter for LA 2021 2nd

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Canes don't really have a need for Iafallo but they do have a need for Cap space.

Jake Bean + Nino Niederreiter for LA 2021 2nd
The deal includes cap space for Carolina that’s value in its own right. Bean should be cracking Carolina’s defense this season and LA has plenty of their own defense prospects.

Iafallo would be more use to a contending team as a middle 6 forward.

Iafallo and Neiderreiter have one thing close in common they should both be considered mid 6 offensive players but some fans overvalue their players as usual and call them 1st line players only due to the fact their numbers were pumped up playing on a 1st line when in reality the player in this instance Iafallo’s, skill set is more of mid 6 NHL player in most teams on the league.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Here's the thing, RG3. Iafallo isn't a true top line guy, but as a stop gap, he works and has some chemistry there. LA has plenty of options ~ they can re-sign him or shop him. Hell, with how well stocked their system is, it wouldn't even hurt all that much if he walked....

I actually *like* Niederreiter, but his contract kills his value (even with the retention). Let's remember there's a plethora of bottom six options LA could sign or get via trade (possibly being paid to do so). This package probably doesn't compensate LA enough for taking Niederreiter on, let alone giving fair value for Iafallo. I'd say that number starts with a first, and even then, some Kings fans will probably want more. Or they'll just keep him

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Here's the thing, RG3. Iafallo isn't a true top line guy, but as a stop gap, he works and has some chemistry there. LA has plenty of options ~ they can re-sign him or shop him. Hell, with how well stocked their system is, it wouldn't even hurt all that much if he walked....

I actually *like* Niederreiter, but his contract kills his value (even with the retention). Let's remember there's a plethora of bottom six options LA could sign or get via trade (possibly being paid to do so). This package probably doesn't compensate LA enough for taking Niederreiter on, let alone giving fair value for Iafallo. I'd say that number starts with a first, and even then, some Kings fans will probably want more. Or they'll just keep him
I was agreeing with you until we got to the bolded comment.

A 1st for Iafallo in the current NHL environment is kinda wealthy.

Iafallo is a decent player looking at the evaluation of him as a player but returning a 1st with or without Nino is kinda much.

I don’t believe Carolina would be willing to dump a 1st with Neiderreiter as he is still a serviceable player that could return to a 50 point form.

If Nino were on a 1st line playing 19 minutes on average it’s not out of the question that he’d probably out produce Iafallo while boasting better possession numbers and having other intangibles that Iafallo doesn’t bring.

I’m not knocking Iafallo but I believe some posters have overvalued Iafallo, it’s natural though as I have done the same with some of my favorite teams players.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The deal includes cap space for Carolina that’s value in its own right. Bean should be cracking Carolina’s defense this season and LA has plenty of their own defense prospects.

Iafallo would be more use to a contending team as a middle 6 forward.

Iafallo and Neiderreiter have one thing close in common they should both be considered mid 6 offensive players but some fans overvalue their players as usual and call them 1st line players only due to the fact their numbers were pumped up playing on a 1st line when in reality the player in this instance Iafallo’s, skill set is more of mid 6 NHL player in most teams on the league.

Bean is behind Slavin, Skjei, Fleury, and Gardiner on Carolina's left side. He won't see much NHL time this year if no other moves are made. Especially given that Brind'Amour takes years to trust young defenders. Bean has one more year of waiver exemption so it wouldn't be surprising to see Carolina let him sit another year in the AHL.

Neiderreiter had a great run on the Canes first line after being traded but he has been very lackluster since. I wouldn't be surprised if he spent half of next year on the 4th line or healthy scratched. He's just too much of a complimentary piece who relies on confidence in his shot which fizzles for long stretches.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Not really sure what the Kings lineup and expansion plans are but could this is somewhat of an accurate lineup for Los Angeles in the 20-21 season.

Line 1 LW Kempe C Kopitar RW Brown
Line 2 LW Iafallo C Byfield RW Carter
Line 3 LW Turcotte C Vilardi RW Frk
Line 4 LW Moore C Lizotte RW Wagner

1st Pair LD Maatta RD Doughty
2nd Pair LD Anderson RD Roy
3rd Pair LD Clague RD Walker

Goalies:
Starter: Peterson
Backup: Quick

Scratches:
C Lias Andersson
C Amadio
D MacDermid

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If I HAVE to have a bit of salary taking up space on the 3rd line in a couple years, I’d sooner it be the player I know can perform in this environment.

Thus, I’d rather resign Iafallo and let him slot into his natural spot as the team improves. Rather than a somewhat fickle question mark like NN. Especially for a couple of ho hum mid round picks.

And if Iafallo is being moved to continue the rebuild, would much rather just keep it simple and get a 2nd off somebody.

This deal doesn’t do a lot for LA.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I actually *like* Niederreiter, but his contract kills his value (even with the retention). Let's remember there's a plethora of bottom six options LA could sign or get via trade (possibly being paid to do so). This package probably doesn't compensate LA enough for taking Niederreiter on, let alone giving fair value for Iafallo.
I don't know why RG is completely missing this point. Nino could get waived and there wouldn't be takers because of the cap situation and pandemic

To quote the great philosopher ObiWan Kenobi "everyone else can see it, why can't you?"

Last edited:

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Maybe I’m off my rocker but perhaps you and other Kings fans could enlighten me and tell me more about Iafallo game.

That's a lot of effort arguing over a player you're not very familiar with. Maybe try a different franchise to sell your "business" plan to. Of course, what do people in LA really know about business anyway....

Easy pass for LA.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
That's a lot of effort arguing over a player you're not very familiar with. Maybe try a different franchise to sell your "business" plan to. Of course, what do people in LA really know about business anyway....

Easy pass for LA.
I just wanted to hear some opinions from Kings fans about Iafallo’s game since they watch him more on a day to day basis during the season then I do.

I don’t get to watch as many west coast games living on the eastern seaboard but evaluating a player of Iafallo’s skill set of pretty standard stuff.

Im not sure if your familiar with Iafallo’s game or not but zero in on him and watch, look where most of his goals come from, look at him away from the puck.
I didn’t really see anything that stood out except for the drive in his game, Iafallo seems like a heart and soul type of player which could be valuable to a young Kings team in its own right but that also depends on what Iafallo’s agent is asking for as far as term and salary go.

Id also ask Kings fans where they’d value Iafallo as far as average annual value goes and how many years could he be resigned to.

If I were looking to resign Iafallo, I’d be comfortable at 2 maybe 3 seasons at 3.25 aav anything over that and I’d be looking to move him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad