Friedman: Carolina is interested in JT Miller

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
? hes 30 in 1 month and extension kicks in next season, that's his 31 y.o season

Then what happened to his 30 yo season?

Here, I'll lay it out:

23-24 age 30
24-25 age 31
25-26 age 32
26-27 age 33
27-28 age 34
28-29 age 35
29-30 age 36 - he will turn 37 in march of the final year of this contract.

At no point will he play a game under this contract as a 38 or 39 year old.

Reactions: Ita and Canuck86

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
the last locker room "cancer" hot head we acquired had 0 contractual risk. Miller has a ton of contractual risk. Canes are not doing this

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Try watching your star player recently calling him a jerk during an interview. Try reading some of the reporter state how he's not a good guy in the locker room. Try watching the video of him screaming at his goalie and slamming his stick over the net.....

Did we overpay? I would have like a 7yr for 8M would have been fine. But all things considered, it's fine. Rather have him all day long then Miller that's for sure. Would have rather gotten Meier but old man Lou didn't go that way.
Literally never said by anyone, but keep pushing that false narrative.

Try watching your star player recently calling him a jerk during an interview. Try reading some of the reporter state how he's not a good guy in the locker room. Try watching the video of him screaming at his goalie and slamming his stick over the net.....

Did we overpay? I would have like a 7yr for 8M would have been fine. But all things considered, it's fine. Rather have him all day long then Miller that's for sure. Would have rather gotten Meier but old man Lou didn't go that way.
Ohhh bud your in for a rude awakening, really seems like you don't know Bo or JT if you think Bo is the better choice. One got overpaid because of a good season (I love Horvat, but it's true), while the other got market value after going a PPG+ for years.

Really, I'm making stuff up now? Ok, whatevery floats your boat.
You are, EP never called him a jerk, it literally never happened, so ya your making shit up.

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You mean this comment, when asked about his relationship with JT Miller?

That's a far cry from "calling him a jerk". And the dressing room drama mostly stems from Farhan Lalji's comment about certain guys in the dressing room making his job difficult but there was never anything specifically referencing Miller.

It wouldn't surprise me if Miller was problematic but there's nothing to confirm it and most of his reputation as a "cancer" is based on National Enquirer-style rumors.
EXACTLY.

if you didn't read between the lines you can see how he was trying to be careful what he said. But like I said, he's yours (Van) problem. Glad he's not on our team... I'm done talking about this (Miller) guy...take care.
So he didn't actually call him a jerk, so your actually full of shit, good, at least you admit it.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Don't believe any team would want to saddle themselves to this contract. Unless there's big retention, then...why does Vancouver bother?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Let's say JT never signs last year. Walks to UFA after an 80 point year this year. Who believes he would get anything less then, at a bare minimum, 7.5? Hell he probably gets 8 or 8.5. This idea that absolutely no one would take on his contract under any circumstances is pretty absurd. It may not be a priority for teams to do so but it's not radioactive.

Reactions: Sophos and Cogburn

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Let's say JT never signs last year. Walks to UFA after an 80 point year this year. Who believes he would get anything less then, at a bare minimum, 7.5? Hell he probably gets 8 or 8.5. This idea that absolutely no one would take on his contract under any circumstances is pretty absurd. It may not be a priority for teams to do so but it's not radioactive.
who signs him until he is 38? since its so aburd, who else does it?

Almost no other team would do that. Especially with all the locker room issues that surrounds the guy.

GMs are dumb but he would have likely gotten an 8.5 x 5 year deal from some poor soul. Not a 7 x 8 deal from anyone.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If they add a significant piece like Miller or Kane, I think the Canes are winning the cup.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Almost no other team would do that. Especially with all the locker room issues that surrounds the guy.

GMs are dumb but he would have likely gotten an 8.5 x 5 year deal from some poor soul. Not a 7 x 8 deal from anyone.

Kadri signed a 7 year deal starting at Kadri's age 32 season. A GM definitely would give Miller a 7 year deal starting at his age 30 season.

These signings happen every year.

Miller's deal expires when he is 37.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Since the Horvat trade, JT Miller's defensive and offensive games have picked up.

He has been elite again.

They should keep JT Miller unless Necas is coming back.

Carolina fans won't like this so, no deal; move on.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
JT Miller has been fantastic under Rick, could this be a short term bump, or is this permanent?

I think Carolina is smart here

Reactions: lawrence

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
JT Miller has been fantastic under Rick, could this be a short term bump, or is this permanent?

I think Carolina is smart here
What is smart is keeping JT Miller and his long-term regression from being more or less a Unicorn currently. to becoming just a good player in 7 years.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Kadri is signed till he is 38 or so in Calgary. You think a player coming off 99pts woudn't get paid as a UFA...GM's make massive contract mistakes EVERY July, so yes it would have happened. But we don't have to ponder it cause the Canucks gave the PPG player the contract already.

I would rahter have JT at 8m with a proven record of helping his team win in the playoffs compared to other NHL players who have had 0 success in the playoffs but make 10m or more per year. It would have been nice to keep Horvat too but our overpaid useless 2 D making over 13m combined have f***ed the cap up for Vancouver thanks to Benning

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Today's update:

Vancouver is interested in J.T. Miller
If he can build or continue his play from last night, damn right we are.

New coach bump? Personality conflict with one of the departing parts of the team? Promise of playing him at center under Tocchet? He wants to force his name, re: our captaincy void? Has he decided he wants out and is increasing his trade value a little? He won big at the arcade? Let's see how long the good play and behaviour can roll on.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What is smart is keeping JT Miller and his long-term regression from being more or less a Unicorn currently. to becoming just a good player in 7 years.
As a Canes fan, I wholeheartedly support your desire to keep him. I consider that a win/win.

Hopefully he leads you all out of the doldrums as an organization. Hopefully, we're able to find a trade for a younger goal scoring power forward who fits our core and our organization philosophy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yes, he shoots it down saying he doesnt think it will happen...so what???

He is still reporting that the rumor going around right now is Carolina is interested in Miller and that he also heard Carolina mentioned was in on Miller in the summer.
No. He says there was talk of the three way trade and Tkachuk and in that conversation “maybe” Miller’s name came up. In context to that three way trade and no confirmation it was the Canes and Miller. It was rumored at the time the Canes were after Tkachuk not Miller. He later says he thinks people are trying to make connections to it now.

The Canes don’t sign market value contracts to ufa’s. If they actually got Meier even he would be a stretch for them due to his age. They trade for guys who have term left on their rfa contracts. It makes little sense that they would trade for a guy who just signed a huge extension that they would never sign themselves.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Nov 1, 2011

I'm pretty sure the NYI just gave a worse contract to Horvat.

A guy like Miller is good value at $8m, especially with the cap going up.

Some people on here are always shocked when UFAs and pending UFAs sign big deals because they have no grasp of the market.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Horvat just signed a higher cap hit, longer term, contract that ends when he will be a year younger.

Again, not that I'm pushing Miller in a trade here, but GMs do this with other, equal or worse players, but Miller's contract is somehow the one that is singled out here. St Louis has Schenn and Parayko signed until they're 36 and 37 on long term deals. The Rangers also have Trocheck signed until he's 36 and Zibanejad until he's 37 too, one as a UFA and one from in house.

I mean Burns is signed until he is 40, although he was a more valuable player at the point of signing, and was just moved for low key assets in the back nine of his contract, to Carolina, and is far from useless.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Horvat just signed a higher cap hit, longer term, contract that ends when he will be a year younger.

Again, not that I'm pushing Miller in a trade here, but GMs do this with other, equal or worse players, but Miller's contract is somehow the one that is singled out here. St Louis has Schenn and Parayko signed until they're 36 and 37 on long term deals. The Rangers also have Trocheck signed until he's 36 and Zibanejad until he's 37 too, one as a UFA and one from in house.

I mean Burns is signed until he is 40, although he was a more valuable player at the point of signing, and was just moved for low key assets in the back nine of his contract, to Carolina, and is far from useless.
Burns is a poor example. He’s a health nut, a ridiculous physical specimen who’s been pretty lucky. You can’t point him out as the standard of late 30’s. Most guys start crashing in their early 30’s. Of course there are other contracts that are like Millers, but we’re not picking on those here because this is a thread about Miller. When someone is pushing Miller towards our team of course the contract is the prime issue. If he was on a three year deal we’d give a ton for him, he’s probably exactly what the Canes need more of. He’s not on a three year though. You even use Trocheck as an example. If we were willing to pay one of these contracts we would’ve just kept Trocheck. He was a damn good 2C and a righty for the draws opposite Staal. Good fit with the team, coach loved him, mostly productive. We let him just walk but we’re going to take Miller? Does not compute.

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It’s his age and length of contract that is scary. No doubt he is worth at least 8 mil . But 8 mil at ave 35+ will be risky. But who knows , maybe the cap will go up enough that it won’t be bad but …. I would t count on it

lawrence

May 19, 2012

he sure does act a lot different. No more negative body language, he back checks much harder and he's been on the PK. Maybe he's being showcased but who knows. He's been acting very different. He also made Beaulivier go on the ice when the Islanders gave him a tribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad