LeBrun: Carolina Interested in Petry. Price is high

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Friedman said Carolina made Bean + 1st an offer for MTL so idk what to believe

Link to anything Friedman said on the matter? LeBrun said he didn't even know if Carolina had called Montreal yet. It's all pure speculation.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think we all also need to remember it was LeBrun who was pushing the "Kapanen + Zaitsev for one of CAR's RD" last trade deadline and off-season, which had absolutely no basis in reality and was ridiculous. LeBrun is well connected, but he also has a history of exaggerating potential deals based on his own speculation.

I think it depends on how high the Canes value Kapanen. Just because a deal didn't go through, doesn't mean it was out to lunch. I could easily see a scenario where the Canes liked what Kapanen brought to the table, and thought Zaitsev could fit their team, but weren't willing to entertain Pesce or Hamilton for that, and the Leafs didn't want Faulk.

In that scenario, the rumored discussion still happens, just not as you assume.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think it depends on how high the Canes value Kapanen. Just because a deal didn't go through, doesn't mean it was out to lunch. I could easily see a scenario where the Canes liked what Kapanen brought to the table, and thought Zaitsev could fit their team, but weren't willing to entertain Pesce or Hamilton for that, and the Leafs didn't want Faulk.

In that scenario, the rumored discussion still happens, just not as you assume.

The Canes were subsequently offered Kapanen and Brown, at the draft, for Pesce alone. I think it's fair to say that if they valued Kapenen that highly, that trade would have been consummated.

I'll stand by my initial assertion-the idea floated that CAR would be willing to take Zaitsev on for Kapanen in exchange for ANY of their RD was complete BS.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Someone needs to get through to Carey he can’t be smoking that stuff he’s the starting goaltender and face of the franchise.

Not sure what that has to do with Carolina acquiring petry tho ?

:laugh:

I was going to say this earlier, but I had already posted.

Now we know why he's not good.

Also Bean and either first for Petry... we have a deal. You can have Cousin and/or Weal for free.

Reactions: habsfan891

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I don't mind reporting on teams calling about certain players as long as that isn't the entire article since that is real news. What I have a problem with is these reporters literally just speculating and putting it on a paid platform as a main article.

that is what i am saying. The article title talks as if player X is being actively pursued by a team, whereas the article only talks about that there was a call. Let's say Malkin goes on the block tomorrow - ALL GMs would call. Then there would be 31 articles that say "Team X in on Malkin!" and another 31 about "Team X seriously interested in Malkin!". When you read them , you think "duh! "

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The Canes were subsequently offered Kapanen and Brown, at the draft, for Pesce alone. I think it's fair to say that if they valued Kapenen that highly, that trade would have been consummated.

I'll stand by my initial assertion-the idea floated that CAR would be willing to take Zaitsev on for Kapanen in exchange for ANY of their RD was complete BS.

Seems you missed my point. You said they were talking about Canes RD. I said the Canes might like Kappy but not be willing to do Pesce, but offering Faulk. While the Leafs felt that Kappy was too good to move for Faulk and wanted Pesce. Hence, no deal was made.

But that doesn't mean they weren't discussing a deal and the report was false. Just no deal could be worked out that both teams were happy with.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
that is what i am saying. The article title talks as if player X is being actively pursued by a team, whereas the article only talks about that there was a call. Let's say Malkin goes on the block tomorrow - ALL GMs would call. Then there would be 31 articles that say "Team X in on Malkin!" and another 31 about "Team X seriously interested in Malkin!". When you read them , you think "duh! "

Yeah it's not as top notch content as before. Lebrun posted this Petry for Bean + 1st out of speculation and he did the same thing the other week essentially writing up an entire article on proposals he finds makes sense for teams. Being paid to write hf trade proposals

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Carolina is crazy trading those young guys for Petry.....if I'm Montreal and they offer a first and bean I'd jump all over it.....Canes are crazy they have s good thing going....if you want to trade firsts and top prospects do it for a guy that is young as well or locked it a good low term.

Yeah and then if you trade all your good players for picks and prospects you will never go anywhere.

The thing is no team will trade you a good young player for picks and prospects. It just doesn’t make any sense. Why would any team trade a guy they spent years developing to start the process all over with additional risks?

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Yeah and then if you trade all your good players for picks and prospects you will never go anywhere.

The thing is no team will trade you a good young player for picks and prospects. It just doesn’t make any sense. Why would any team trade a guy they spent years developing to start the process all over with additional risks?
No doubt deal would assume the team giving up that cost controlled player is looking to rebuild due to cap trouble aging vets riding out contracts due to nmc's....can't see Petry at 32 and almost 6 million being the answer and giving habs a 21 year old dman a first and another prospect that's all that should be u attempt to get a DAngelo or a dumba something like that....Montreal not totally in that position but they see a chance to deepen their rebuild while getting Canes to bite on a temporary need....

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’m going to wait for him to say this on Insider Trading/a radio spot or write it in a column/tweet. That’s a notable rumor. He’ll get it out in another channel tonight/tomorrow, if accurate.

LeBrun, Friedman, McKenzie, etc. are careful with how they phrase things. The interpretation of what they say is unreliable.

I guess I should have added “in English”. In this case, it was lost in translation either by the folks interpreting LeBrun or LeBrun himself.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not this time. He confirmed it with an affirmation on live tv.

Sorry Canes fans saying that you wouldn't even give a 1st for Petry, your GM seems high on him aswell for your starting offer to be Bean + 1st.

sorry @domiwroze looks like the Canes never made that offer after all. Not saying that they wouldn’t make it, nor that the Habs would accept it, but LeBrun clarifies that he did not say the Canes have offered that.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
sorry @domiwroze looks like the Canes never made that offer after all. Not saying that they wouldn’t make it, nor that the Habs would accept it, but LeBrun clarifies that he did not say the Canes have offered that.

Honestly why we all gotta be so pissy about these things

tenor.gif

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I don't think MB has the intellegence or stones to move Petry i guarantee hes already planning on resigning him to an albatross contract when his current contract expires at 34 years old

He had the "stones" to get rid of Subban when he was at the high of his career and his popularity in Montreal. I dont think he would hesitate for a second to get rid of Petry if the return was interesting enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad