Carolina Hurricanes sale could happen today, owner says

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
You might not want it to happen, but any neutral fan does. Houston would make more money in year one than Carolina made in their cup winning season.

It's whats best for business.

Atlanta to Winnipeg, Carolina to Houston, Florida to Seattle, Quebec expansion, works for me.

I'm a neutral fan, and I do not want Carolina to move to Houston.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hockey fans are cutthroat.

Instead of celebrating a fanbase not losing their team, here we are talking down the market and fans, and speculating about the when and where of relocation.

:shakehead

You wouldn't believe the contempt the hockey media and fans up here in canada have for your franchise.

It's so weird. They want you to die so badly.

Anyways, great news that a thriving market like Raleigh gets some stable ownership.

If there's a team moving to Houston, unfortunately it's gonna be the coyotes.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
A prospective owner would make more in Carolina than in Houston. Dundon owns the arena in Carolina, and gets all non-NCSU revenue.

In Houston he would play in someone else's arena, paying them, getting nothing from any non-hockey related events and counting himself lucky to gey an amicable proportion of parking and concessions at hockey games. Houston 's lone arena suitable for major league hockey is owned by the Rockets, so under your hypothetical Dundon would be leaving a kickass lease to enter one were he's held hostage.

But all that is irrelevant. That you're wrong is irrelevant. Everyone involved said they ain't moving. So please continue to scream your nonsense into the abyss.

See above.

In penitence for your astounding ignorance, please take your baseless speculation and thrust it somewhere the sun don't shine.
you should start following the media that matters a little more and pull your head out of your area where the sun dont shine

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
you should start following the media that matters a little more and pull your head out of your area where the sun dont shine

The same media that has you thinking the Canes are moving to Houston based on literally nothing?

And come up with your own comebacks. That you're copying continues to show the difference in our levels.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Canadian nationalism/northern elitism/nostalgia/jealousy over ticket pricing is not a good reason.

Why should fans care about what's in the best financial interest of the league anyway? Carolina's presence alone is not going to cause a lockout. How many fans actually have a vested financial interest in the league? And no, Toronto's ticket prices aren't going down if Carolina relocates.

Fans can try to hide behind the business argument, but let's not kid ourselves about what actually drives this.

Like 75% are about either Houston, Seattle or Quebec City. It's silly.
Let's face it. The vast majority of those posters making the "it's better for the league" argument are being disingenuous. It's often a jingoist stance against Sun Belt franchises who they don't think deserve a team. Some exceptions of course but not many in my experience.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So how did the Jets get the Thrashers so quickly?
There was no such agreement in place. Besides that the thrashers were basically evicted from their arena and had nowhere to play. The NHL was lucky Winnipeg was ready to take them right away.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
There is no such thing as a grand slam market.

hence why i've put "grand slam" in quotes 5 times.

The Devils have been drawing 90% the past 6 years.

The Isles numbers shouldn't really count considering the arena they play in. Wait until they get a real arena.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

The Isles numbers shouldn't really count considering the arena they play in. Wait until they get a real arena.
Thing about the Devils is the generation of fans who grew up with the team in New Jersey are now adults, so the fanbase will continue growing, and while the Rangers and Flyers are popular here, they don't represent the state itself.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
People talk about why does Raleigh have a hockey team, but the real question is why is there a hockey team in Florida? On top of that, why is there 2? In what world did the NHL think that was a good idea.

It's like trying to introduce to snowboarding to the people of Egypt.
Why shouldn't there be one?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You wouldn't believe the contempt the hockey media and fans up here in canada have for your franchise.

It's so weird. They want you to die so badly.

Anyways, great news that a thriving market like Raleigh gets some stable ownership.

If there's a team moving to Houston, unfortunately it's gonna be the coyotes.

That is called empathy for your fellow fans. It's generally lacking from this conversation.

Reactions: wolfofthesteppes

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Then what is the legitimate justification for the business argument when it comes to relocating the Yotes, Cats and Canes? What’s in it for those that invoke it?

Hell, I have no idea. To grow the game's popularity? To have a hometown team for a more traditional market?

My point wasn't that I know why people care, my point was that no one has ever thought that relocating a team would somehow make tickets to Leafs games cheaper.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
The league could seriously hit a grandslam by moving Carolina to Houston (west), Arizona to Seattle and Florida to Quebec City. Move the small market teams to locations with large populations, that have shown they can support the product.

The Buffalo Niagara region may be 50th in population - but in terms of TV/advertising market share, it tends to be #1 in terms of RSN ratings. Hell, even when the Sabres aren't in the playoffs, we still rival all teams (including major NHL metro areas like Pittsburgh, NYC, Boston) in terms of playoff viewership.

Equating club support to regional population doesn't work the way you think it does. Some regions are hockey gold mines, some aren't.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Salty relocation trolls just need to find a new bone to pick. Canes new Billionaire owner is going to use the team's $20+ million in Cap space. Constantly being at the Cap Floor was a crutch that will be eliminated. Add 2-3 Stars to the current roster and the Canes start to look scary.

With success comes attendance. Raleigh has already proven to be a profitable market when the team succeeds.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017

These numbers aren't from the last two years, but go on with yo bad self. Looked at the numbers from 2000-2017.

What's the excuse for winnipeg?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Oh and I even forgot no.3: 4M population difference between both metropolitan area... I'm not saying it's gonna happen but all factors favour Houston

Well, your first post says "Houston Hurricanes anyone?". So forgive me for thinking otherwise.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
These numbers aren't from the last two years, but go on with yo bad self. Looked at the numbers from 2000-2017.

What's the excuse for winnipeg?

Devils attendance always goes up after the calendar turns so let's wait until the end of the season. Last year was at 88% so let's not go crazy here. It still doesn't change the fact that since 2013-2014 we've had better attendance than when we were a good team.

What does Winnipeg have to do with this exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad