Carolina Hurricanes sale could happen today, owner says

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Always thought they stay in Carolina.

I see one of Arizona or Florida moving to Houston and Seattle winning the 32nd team expansion.

Either way makes sense - Arizona slides up to Seattle (same conference and division) and Houston winning expansion / or Florida sliding over to Houston (never really thought Florida needed two teams) and Seattle winning expansion.

Seattle and Houston make the most sense IMO. I see no reason for Quebec to get a team when their market is already flooded with 2-3 local big name teams. Also a Texas rivalry could become big and has been in other sports. Seattle has an arena plan plus a ton of sports fans (look at Seahawk and Sounders games).

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Houston hurricanes just doesn’t sound right. Also be weird to have a team named hurricanes right after a huge hurricane just hit the city not long ago
Would be better if an out of town team was named Hurricanes. Roasting marshmallows in the village and all that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Always thought they stay in Carolina.

I see one of Arizona or Florida moving to Houston and Seattle winning the 32nd team expansion.

Either way makes sense - Arizona slides up to Seattle (same conference and division) and Houston winning expansion / or Florida sliding over to Houston (never really thought Florida needed two teams) and Seattle winning expansion.

Seattle and Houston make the most sense IMO. I see no reason for Quebec to get a team when their market is already flooded with 2-3 local big name teams. Also a Texas rivalry could become big and has been in other sports. Seattle has an arena plan plus a ton of sports fans (look at Seahawk and Sounders games).

There are a 262 kilometers (163 miles) between Quebec City and Montreal, 443 kilometers from Ottawa, and 803 kilometers from Toronto. If you don't think city natives or rural Quebecois would sell out that teams potential arena you're out to lunch.

Also I'd bet that a Quebec province rivalry would be a bigger sell than a Texas one.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I could make a fortune mining all this salt. It makes me so happy.

The Canes have a new Billionaire owner. He's gonna pour money into the team. It's just going to be really great for Canes fans. I'm pretty stoked.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
It would be great if HFBoards had a board for discussing the business of hockey. Not sure what it should be called, though.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
...Where do y'all think the name Carolina Hurricanes came from?
Legend has it the original owner owned a business called Hurry Cane that helped old people get around faster with a special cane they could purchase. There were copyright issues so he figured Hurricane was close enough.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
They're not moving to Houston. What a ****ing stupid post.
You might not want it to happen, but any neutral fan does. Houston would make more money in year one than Carolina made in their cup winning season.

It's whats best for business.

Atlanta to Winnipeg, Carolina to Houston, Florida to Seattle, Quebec expansion, works for me.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
You might not want it to happen, but any neutral fan does. Houston would make more money in year one than Carolina made in their cup winning season.

Whats shiny and new is easier to sell than something that's old and used. This would be the same for half the markets

Can we also stop acting like we care because it's for the "betterment" of the league?

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Whats shiny and new is easier to sell than something that's old and used. This would be the same for half the markets
Sure. If you completely disregard the market size that is Houston.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Sure. If you completely disregard the market size that is Houston.

Carolina when relatively winning was a mid level team in attendance year in and year out usually finishing in the 16k's for an 18k venue.

The markets fine in Raleigh, the product is not. You seem to have fallen victim to #recencybias

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Carolina when relatively winning was a mid level team in attendance year in and year out usually finishing in the 16k's for an 18k venue.

The markets fine in Raleigh, the product is not. You seem to have fallen victim to #recencybias
There's about a 2 million people difference in population between the two cities. Houston has also shown it can support big league teams very well: the Rockets and Texans have huge, loyal fan bases. Raleigh should not have an NHL team, there are so many other cities that would make more sense for the NHL.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
There's about a 2 million people difference in population between the two cities. Houston has also shown it can support big league teams very well: the Rockets and Texans have huge, loyal fan bases. Raleigh should not have an NHL team, there are so many other cities that would make more sense for the NHL.

Once again, multiple, multiple markets fit this description. People just don't like Raleigh for whatever reason.

Again, lets stop acting like we care for the betterment of the league when it's not.

Edited.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Carolina Hurricanes sale could happen today, owner says

Houston Hurricanes, anyone (even though his "plan" is to keep them in NC)?

It's been stated that the new Rockets owner would like controlling interest in a Houston-based NHL team. Do you seriously think this guy who is from Dallas, which is actually quite a distance from Houston mind you, is going to buy the Canes just to move them to Houston when there's already another guy in that city who would take control of the Aeros (or whatever a Houston team wants to call themselves), and then have to pay the millions in breaking the PNC lease and the other costs?

How does that make sense?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
It's been stated that the new Rockets owner would like controlling interest in a Houston-based NHL team. Do you seriously think this guy who is from Dallas, which is actually quite a distance from Houston mind you, is going to buy the Canes just to move them to Houston when there's already another guy in that city who would take control of the Aeros (or whatever a Houston team wants to call themselves), and then have to pay the millions in breaking the PNC lease and the other costs?

How does that make sense?
no.1 I didnt say tomorrow (arena deal)...
no.2 taxes +/-6M a year in your pocket, is still 6M (based on 100M revenue)

TEAMINVESTMENTESTIMATED TAX RATEFEDERAL RATESTATE RATETAX PAIDNET CAPITAL
North Carolina$100,000,00045.31%39.56%5.75%$45,306,170$54,693,830
Texas$100,000,00039.56%39.56%-$39,556,170$60,443,830
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad