Carolina Hurricanes sale could happen today, owner says

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Once again, multiple, multiple markets fit this description. People just don't like Raleigh for whatever reason.

So once again, lets stop acting like we care for the betterment of the league and not some own reasoning with no merit.
I just feel the league could do much, much, MUCH better than having a hockey team in Raleigh. And lets be real for a minute, no one outside of a 100 mile radius of Raleigh knows where the f*** it is. I didn't even know what it was until the 2011 all star game and they kept saying it and I finally realized. The team is named after two states because of how small the market is. 400k people vs 2.5M... I wonder which city would generate higher revenue for the betterment of the league and big clubs (that unfortunately have to pay for smaller clubs).

The league could seriously hit a grandslam by moving Carolina to Houston (west), Arizona to Seattle and Florida to Quebec City. Move the small market teams to locations with large populations, that have shown they can support the product. Do Texans/Rockets fans numbers fall to the amount of Hurricanes fans we've been seeing? No way.

I understand they're your team, and you do not want to see them moved, but you absolutely cannot even begin to argue that the NHL is better off with a team in Raleigh, NC than Houson, TX.

FWIW: I think Houston would be better than Seattle too, but the NHL seems keen on moving there first.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I just feel the league could do much, much, MUCH better than having a hockey team in Raleigh. And lets be real for a minute, no one outside of a 100 mile radius of Raleigh knows where the **** it is. I didn't even know what it was until the 2011 all star game and they kept saying it and I finally realized. The team is named after two states because of how small the market is. 400k people vs 2.5M... I wonder which city would generate higher revenue for the betterment of the league and big clubs (that unfortunately have to pay for smaller clubs).

The league could seriously hit a grandslam by moving Carolina to Houston (west), Arizona to Seattle and Florida to Quebec City. Move the small market teams to locations with large populations, that have shown they can support the product. Do Texans/Rockets fans numbers fall to the amount of Hurricanes fans we've been seeing? No way.

I understand they're your team, and you do not want to see them moved, but you absolutely cannot even begin to argue that the NHL is better off with a team in Raleigh, NC than Houson, TX.

FWIW: I think Houston would be better than Seattle too, but the NHL seems keen on moving there first.

The hurricanes have out ranked the Islanders in attendance 13/20 years that's including two seasons where they played in Greensboro, yet nobody is mentioning them to Houston or at least I don't see it. The devils have been outranked by the canes in attedancen 8 times, nobody says anything, predators 8 times, nothing.

New York and New Jersey should be grand slam markets, but they are not. Houston is no, for sure, grand slam market and if you think so you're talking out of your ass. Just because a city supports a basketball team doesn't mean they are going to support another sports team.

Quebec already lost a team once for a reason. Winnipegs attendance hasn't really been shit either, in fact they haven't even posted over 16k people since they've relocated.

edit: and you're also COMPLETELY ignoring the fact Raleigh has supported it's market. They've constantly posted 15-16k averages in attendance until, coincidentally, they stopped comping tickets where other teams have not. The Hurricanes had 12k people last year and had a profit before the relocation money came in. Until the canes stopped comping tickets they were getting more fans than f***ing winnipeg. So yeah, it is my team, but you acting like Raleigh can't support it's team is absurd and entirely inaccurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cane mutiny

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
no.1 I didnt say tomorrow (arena deal)...
no.2 taxes +/-6M a year in your pocket, is still 6M (based on 100M revenue)

TEAMINVESTMENTESTIMATED TAX RATEFEDERAL RATESTATE RATETAX PAIDNET CAPITAL
North Carolina$100,000,00045.31%39.56%5.75%$45,306,170$54,693,830
Texas$100,000,00039.56%39.56%-$39,556,170$60,443,830
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It's not happening.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just feel the league could do much, much, MUCH better than having a hockey team in Raleigh. And lets be real for a minute, no one outside of a 100 mile radius of Raleigh knows where the **** it is. I didn't even know what it was until the 2011 all star game and they kept saying it and I finally realized. The team is named after two states because of how small the market is. 400k people vs 2.5M... I wonder which city would generate higher revenue for the betterment of the league and big clubs (that unfortunately have to pay for smaller clubs).

When you become the commissioner, you do as you see fit as most of us will not have a say in it. Til then, relax and let things be as they are.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Let me see Raleigh metro area is 43rd ((US rankings.) Add in Durham-Chapel Hill and you basically get Nashville)
Buffalo is 50th
Oh we're named Carolina cause of South Carolina too. (That is a factor in the Carolina panthers and maybe they based the name off that team but for this market? South Carolina? Come on man.) Guess That buffalo should rename themselves to New York So they can claim the state.
And if your ignorant of where (and what) a state capital is I suggest the blame is on you. Most people should have gotten enough US geography in elementary school to be able to place the 50 states. (And yes I know people don't know them)

Yeah attendance isn't good. You give me tickets I'll figure out a way to pay for parking. I'll go (But be late to) EVERY game. My work schedule ENDS when the team drops the puck. I make #@%@ and #%$ That's a me problem. but I go to about 1 game a year cause $70 is a large hit to my liquid income. maybe to some of you it's nothing. Grats...
If the team is moved it'll be moved and I'll drop them. Mucho respect for the Whale fans that still follow this (currently a disaster) of a product on the ice. I can't say I would.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
they're not relocating at all. isn't there a clause in the contract or something that says they can't relocate for 7 years?

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
they're not relocating at all. isn't there a clause in the contract or something that says they can't relocate for 7 years?

He can't apply for relocation for 7 years. After that it still has to be approved.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
The hurricanes have out ranked the Islanders in attendance 13/20 years that's including two seasons where they played in Greensboro, yet nobody is mentioning them to Houston or at least I don't see it. The devils have been outranked by the canes in attedancen 8 times, nobody says anything, predators 8 times, nothing.

New York and New Jersey should be grand slam markets, but they are not. Houston is no, for sure, grand slam market and if you think so you're talking out of your ass. Just because a city supports a basketball team doesn't mean they are going to support another sports team.

Quebec already lost a team once for a reason. Winnipegs attendance hasn't really been **** either, in fact they haven't even posted over 16k people since they've relocated.

edit: and you're also COMPLETELY ignoring the fact Raleigh has supported it's market. They've constantly posted 15-16k averages in attendance until, coincidentally, they stopped comping tickets where other teams have not. The Hurricanes had 12k people last year and had a profit before the relocation money came in. Until the canes stopped comping tickets they were getting more fans than ****ing winnipeg. So yeah, it is my team, but you acting like Raleigh can't support it's team is absurd and entirely inaccurate.
You make fine points, but no one outside of Carolina agrees that the team staying is good for the league... Maybe we're not all trolls and it is being said for good reason?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Arizona without a new arena has to move. Also Florida is simply a black hole financially and better of relocating. Owners have to be aware the league may have to take over the franchises and eat losses without relocating them. For me, Carolina can be a decent market. Move Florida to Quebec and Arizona to Houston. Seattle will be the expansion to make 32.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Hockey fans are cutthroat.

Instead of celebrating a fanbase not losing their team, here we are talking down the market and fans, and speculating about the when and where of relocation.

:shakehead
read the replies to any big reporter's tweets about situation

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
People talk about why does Raleigh have a hockey team, but the real question is why is there a hockey team in Florida? On top of that, why is there 2? In what world did the NHL think that was a good idea.

It's like trying to introduce to snowboarding to the people of Egypt.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You make fine points, but no one outside of Carolina agrees that the team staying is good for the league... Maybe we're not all trolls and it is being said for good reason?

Canadian nationalism/northern elitism/nostalgia/jealousy over ticket pricing is not a good reason.

Why should fans care about what's in the best financial interest of the league anyway? Carolina's presence alone is not going to cause a lockout. How many fans actually have a vested financial interest in the league? And no, Toronto's ticket prices aren't going down if Carolina relocates.

Fans can try to hide behind the business argument, but let's not kid ourselves about what actually drives this.

read the replies to any big reporter's tweets about situation

Like 75% are about either Houston, Seattle or Quebec City. It's silly.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Canadian nationalism/northern elitism/nostalgia/jealousy over ticket pricing is not a good reason.

Why should fans care about what's in the best financial interest of the league anyway? Carolina's presence alone is not going to cause a lockout. How many fans actually have a vested financial interest in the league? And no, Toronto's ticket prices aren't going down if Carolina relocates.

Fans can try to hide behind the business argument, but let's not kid ourselves about what actually drives this.

Like 75% are about either Houston, Seattle or Quebec City. It's silly.

I have never once heard anyone even imply anything like this...

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Houston would do well with a team but Carolina does better than Florida, Arizona, and even the Islanders. No reason they shouldn't stay in Carolina plus they have good fans when they are doing well from what I have seen and read.

Seattle > Houston > Quebec is the order I think most benefits the league and the teams I want to see. No need for another Canadian team, Seattle is building an arena and has great fans, and Houston's market is massive.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You might not want it to happen, but any neutral fan does. Houston would make more money in year one than Carolina made in their cup winning season.

It's whats best for business.

A prospective owner would make more in Carolina than in Houston. Dundon owns the arena in Carolina, and gets all non-NCSU revenue.

In Houston he would play in someone else's arena, paying them, getting nothing from any non-hockey related events and counting himself lucky to gey an amicable proportion of parking and concessions at hockey games. Houston 's lone arena suitable for major league hockey is owned by the Rockets, so under your hypothetical Dundon would be leaving a kickass lease to enter one were he's held hostage.

But all that is irrelevant. That you're wrong is irrelevant. Everyone involved said they ain't moving. So please continue to scream your nonsense into the abyss.

no.1 I didnt say tomorrow (arena deal)...
no.2 taxes +/-6M a year in your pocket, is still 6M (based on 100M revenue)

TEAMINVESTMENTESTIMATED TAX RATEFEDERAL RATESTATE RATETAX PAIDNET CAPITAL
North Carolina$100,000,00045.31%39.56%5.75%$45,306,170$54,693,830
Texas$100,000,00039.56%39.56%-$39,556,170$60,443,830
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

See above.

In penitence for your astounding ignorance, please take your baseless speculation and thrust it somewhere the sun don't shine.

Reactions: wolfofthesteppes

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
People talk about why does Raleigh have a hockey team, but the real question is why is there a hockey team in Florida? On top of that, why is there 2? In what world did the NHL think that was a good idea.

It's like trying to introduce to snowboarding to the people of Egypt.

I mean...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Quebec already lost a team once for a reason. Winnipegs attendance hasn't really been **** either, in fact they haven't even posted over 16k people since they've relocated.

edit: and you're also COMPLETELY ignoring the fact Raleigh has supported it's market. They've constantly posted 15-16k averages in attendance until, coincidentally, they stopped comping tickets where other teams have not. The Hurricanes had 12k people last year and had a profit before the relocation money came in. Until the canes stopped comping tickets they were getting more fans than ****ing winnipeg. So yeah, it is my team, but you acting like Raleigh can't support it's team is absurd and entirely inaccurate.
Yeah because the Rangers and Flyers exist.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
When was the last time a professional team relocated and kept the name and colors?

All that gets changed to rebrand the team's identity.
Besides Calgary..I don't think that there has been one....but Houston Hurricanes rolls off of the tongue nicely...changing the logo and colour scheme would be expected.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Yeah because the Rangers and Flyers exist.

How does this change anything? They still don't draw well in a "grand slam" market. If there is too much competition, why not move them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad