Carolina Hurricanes sale could happen today, owner says

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hockey fans are cutthroat.

Instead of celebrating a fanbase not losing their team, here we are talking down the market and fans, and speculating about the when and where of relocation.

:shakehead

It is truly bizarre, and quite frankly it's got to be unhealthy.

I've never seen this kind of anger and bitterness from NBA/NFL/MLB fans on where franchises operate, except for the very few extremists that no one wants to sit next to at a stadium. The NBA has a ton of teams in towns like Orlando, Memphis, OKC, and Sacramento where there is nothing else and no one seems to mind. But for some reason even some of the most casual NHL fans are a different breed. For years and years all I ever heard from a lot of Canadian/Northern US fans was "Hartford! Hartford! Bring back the Whale!". The last 2-3 years it's been, "Canes are moving to Quebec City! It's gonna happen! I've been tracking flights, the Nordique are coming back!". Now today and yesterday I've seen "Canes need to move to Houston ASAP!" and "Move em to Seattle now!". What will it be tomorrow? Toronto team 2? Yellowknife?

Why they insist on being this way I don't know. But whatever, their problem.

At least most of them are finally beginning to realize that the team plays in Raleigh, not Charlotte.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Well, your first post says "Houston Hurricanes anyone?". So forgive me for thinking otherwise.
the only reason why I've mentionned it
Lebrun: Sources: NHL and Rockets owner meet to talk NHL's viability...

Friedman: 31 Thoughts: Tensions running high for slow starters - Sportsnet.ca

Dregger: Insider Trading: Will Vegas sell off UFAs? - Article - TSN

McKenzie: McKenzie: NHL nowhere near relocation, but Houston an intriguing market

it'S been on TSN/SNet/CBC a few times over the last few weeks, all the main NHL insiders in Canada have talked about Houston being a prime possibility for the "future"

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
the only reason why I've mentionned it
Lebrun: Sources: NHL and Rockets owner meet to talk NHL's viability...

Friedman: 31 Thoughts: Tensions running high for slow starters - Sportsnet.ca

Dregger: Insider Trading: Will Vegas sell off UFAs? - Article - TSN

McKenzie: McKenzie: NHL nowhere near relocation, but Houston an intriguing market

it'S been on TSN/SNet/CBC a few times over the last few weeks, all the main NHL insiders in Canada have talked about Houston being a prime possibility for the "future"

Yea but unless they specifically mention Carolina, where is the relevance?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
When was the last time a professional team relocated and kept the name and colors?

All that gets changed to rebrand the team's identity.

In addition to the flames already mentioned, the LA Rams moved to St. Louis and back again without changing too much. The Tennessee titans still wear oilers blue and were the Tennessee oilers for a while. The Minneapolis lakers maybe before that? The jazz? It does happen.

And the colors red and black are the perfect colors for a team called the Hurricanes, if indeed they ever move.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Raleigh is a far better city than Houston, routinely topping various lists of best places to live. It has a huge tech industry, and is growing at the fastest rate in the entire country.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad