Post-Game Talk: Carolina Dominates Detroit (5-3 Loss)

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
So...

• Our first loss of the season
  • Blashill's first regulation loss
    [*]Carolina's first win in October since 2012
  • McGinn's first NHL goal
  • A Carolina player's (McGinn?) first NHL game
  • Staal's first goal against Detroit
  • Larkin's first minus I believe?

A lot of firsts happening tonight, not a lot of it good. What a brutal game, I can just hope they are as pissed off as we are about it and take it out on Montreal tomorrow.
That one was my main concern. Just out of blind luck a team will win a game once in a while.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That was hard to watch. If these two Carolina games are not among our top 5 worst games of the season when it's all said and done, we are in trouble.

Outshot 83-39 in two games.

Worst part is now we have Montreal tomorrow and they look unbeatable. So fair chance we drop to 3-2 on the season.

I'm completely over both Smith and Kindl. Any time they pass the puck it's a 50% chance at best of getting to a Red Wings player.

Pulkkinen has been terrible, but he has 3 goals somehow so I guess he'll keep playing.

Can't wait for Dekeyser, Helm and Datsyuk to get back.

Yeah, it wasn't like he went to the dirty areas of the ice, kept his eye on the puck and scored a goal. Nope it was purely luck and magic and there is nothing good to say about those points.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I like to believe that people tell Smith that NHL forwards aren't going to miss too many open nets when they are left alone in the slot and/or the front of the net.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, it wasn't like he went to the dirty areas of the ice, kept his eye on the puck and scored a goal. Nope it was purely luck and magic and there is nothing good to say about those points.
I get it, you like Pulkks. I personally think he's been completely useless. Call it what you want, he's had 3 very flukey goals. He was noticeably bad on the PP, he had several plays where just took way too long to do anything with the puck and ended up losing it, he had one complete rookie play where he tried to make a cheesey move on a d-man who of course stripped the puck of him easily..

Hey if he scores 30+ goals like this, great. But I just doubt he keeps scoring goals in this way. And when he stops getting these types of goals, he will be of zero use in a lineup unless he starts adapting his game to the NHL and makes faster decisions and finds ways to use his shot more.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Dominated by a lottery team 2 games in a week's time. Pretty terrible.

This is looking like a bad possession team 4 games in. Not a lot of offensive zone time, not enough generated shots, tons of defensive lapses and turnovers.

Tough game for the team tomorrow. Hope Mrazek is ready.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Tonights game was definitely booty. If we get Helm and DeKeyser back tomorrow night i'm expecting a better game from Detroit.

Mount Royal

Achtung, baby
May 11, 2010
Montreal
I get it, you like Pulkks. I personally think he's been completely useless. Call it what you want, he's had 3 very flukey goals. He was noticeably bad on the PP, he had several plays where just took way too long to do anything with the puck and ended up losing it, he had one complete rookie play where he tried to make a cheesey move on a d-man who of course stripped the puck of him easily..

Hey if he scores 30+ goals like this, great. But I just doubt he keeps scoring goals in this way. And when he stops getting these types of goals, he will be of zero use in a lineup unless he starts adapting his game to the NHL and makes faster decisions and finds ways to use his shot more.

I agree with this. The rookie mistake you're referring to was on the PP, where he looked like a rookie Tatar making too many moves at the blueline. Difference is, Tatar is far more talented, and has learned to pick his spots. Pulks has shown an NHL level shot, and, IMO, not much else.

Jurco wasn't great today either, actually. If Franzen was healthy, I'd say tomorrow would be a game where both Jurco and Pulks fight for the last roster spot (assuming Ferraro is scratched for Helm), but it looks like they're both gonna be playing through their issues.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada

I would argue him going to the front of the net and finding goals there is a way of adapting his game. Maybe its not as pretty as his slap shot but if he is willing to head to the unattractive areas of the ice to score he's doing his part.

The other stuff may or may not come for him at the NHL level but he's finding a place to score right now so at least he's making some impact.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I'm honestly just not a fan of Pulkkinen.

He shoots just to shoot. It kind of drives me nuts. I'm in the camp that believes he's useless too.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
BinCookin's Scores Today:
+=good play
-=bad play

Q +4 -2
Kronwall +2 -2
Kindl +1 -1
Ericsson +1 -1
Green +2 -3
Smith -4

Several complaints about Smith this game from the board. As you can see I scored him with no real solid plays, and 4 major mistakes. Kindl however played a relatively safe game today with only 1 major mistake.

A note on the forwards:

Abdelkader Turnover mixed with Ericsson positioning (-) resulted in the first goal.
Pulkkinen several times deked himself out, or just made a bad pass.

This game was hard to blame specifically on any one person, it just seemed to spiral in the wrong direction.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Wow sounds like I missed a game I wouldn't want to watch anyway. 5-3? How was Howard. any softies?

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Interesting that Green led all players in ice time tonight (24:30) and Larkin led all forwards in ice time (17:43)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I like to believe that people tell Smith that NHL forwards aren't going to miss too many open nets when they are left alone in the slot and/or the front of the net.

I like to think that while on the ice Smith tells himself 'as long as I'm not looking its not my fault'

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Jonathan Ericsson is not worth the various molecules that comprise his body. I had to laugh at his penalty, where I'm almost certain that he told the ref that "I didn't do anything". It's the one constant part of his game, he doesn't do anything, so his argument was at least valid.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Team is dead last in shots per game at 21.3 and by a pretty decent margin, they really need to pick it up because there not gonna continue scoring goals at that rate.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Jonathan Ericsson is not worth the various molecules that comprise his body. I had to laugh at his penalty, where I'm almost certain that he told the ref that "I didn't do anything". It's the one constant part of his game, he doesn't do anything, so his argument was at least valid.

Between Ericsson, Smith, & Kindl and their never ending blunders & mental breakdowns, it's no wonder this Defense never gets better. You'd think by now they'd learn from their previous 400 mistakes, but they never do.

I'd have to imagine Smith sits if Dekeyser is a go, who sits for Helm? Ferraro?

All for Smith sitting for Dekeyser, Whomever sits for Helm will most likely only have to sit for a week or so before Helm hurts himself again, sadly.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Wow sounds like I missed a game I wouldn't want to watch anyway. 5-3? How was Howard. any softies?

A couple rebounds that he didn't have much of a chance on, one was off of Richards' hand, one he had no chance on (the Faulk PP goal) and I don't even remember the one I've left out. Howard wasn't to blame for this one.

Smith didn't look good in the first 3 wins, and he looked awful in this loss. I hope his days here are quickly numbered.

Quincey was brutal. I understand they were down the whole game, but PLAY DEFENSE. He was caught in the neutral zone or pinching way too much.

Kindl probably could've been called for four minor penalties tonight. He just doesn't play smart man to man defense.

The offense... Well, it was average. Tatar and Pulkkinen were pissing me off. Neither of you are Alexander Ovechkin. Stop trying to be a hero. Ward looked lost on most of Detroit's opportunities. If only they got more chances in the first, they might have gotten out to a lead or tied early and the game would've played out differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad