GDT: Carolina @ Chicago: Attack of the Clones Edition

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Faulk was the best player on the ice in a game that featured Kane, Toews and Kieth.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I've been meaning to catch some Canes' games to watch Faulk (and Hanifin).

That 2nd period ... wow! Effortless, composed, confident, in control of the game. Tripp said that was possibly the best period of his career, so I guess I saw him at his absolute best.

You guys who watch him every game, tell me more, please. Future captain? Future Norris? What are his elite game-by-game skills? What still needs work?

Great win, btw. Always nice to see the Hawks get beat, especially at home.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

That 2nd period ... wow! Effortless, composed, confident, in control of the game. Tripp said that was possibly the best period of his career, so I guess I saw him at his absolute best.

You guys who watch him every game, tell me more, please. Future captain? Future Norris? What are his elite game-by-game skills? What still needs work?

Norris would require us to make the playoffs.

Future Captain, might as well be now.

He's what is needed on the ice, he's a offensive minded guy lately, but is able to shut things down also.

At 23, he's only going to get better.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Honestly, I think he's the captain now. My guess is that Eric gets traded at the deadline, and Faulk gets the C. If we're lucky, he wears it for the next decade or more.

Personally, I think if the Canes were a legit playoff contender, Faulk would get consideration for a Norris this year.

Obviously his PP shot has been great this year. We'll see if it continues to be an elite asset in the future, or if his numbers regress to the mean.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
What impressed me most today was Faulk's ability to make the smart defensive play consistently ... maneuver the puck carrier into the corner, seal the opponent along the boards, poke the puck away, take the opponent's stick (preventing a goal late in the 3rd by Seabrook with a wide-open net was masterful), break up rushes, etc.

Everyone knows about his goal-scoring ability. I had no idea just what a well-rounded player he is, and how much he's counted on for his defensive abilities.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Faulk is the future captain. It is only a question of when. Norris? Perhaps if he keeps up what he is doing and the team starts becoming a regular in the playoffs.

It's rather frightening to think of this team without him. He is the MVP of this squad.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What impressed me most today was Faulk's ability to make the smart defensive play consistently ... maneuver the puck carrier into the corner, seal the opponent along the boards, poke the puck away, take the opponent's stick (preventing a goal late in the 3rd by Seabrook with a wide-open net was masterful), break up rushes, etc.

Everyone knows about his goal-scoring ability. I had no idea just what a well-rounded player he is, and how much he's counted on for his defensive abilities.

Physically his core strength is insane...rarely can anyone move him from where he wants to be....it helps him control play down the boards and in front of the net a lot.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

IMO, Faulk's biggest issue (if you can call it that) is he still has more inconsistency in his game than I'd like to see from a #1. He's only 23 though and he's improved on that tremendously in the past couple of years, but every now and then he'll still have a game or stretch where he looks average (or worse). That's not unique to Faulk as I watch a lot of Doughty and have seen him have some rough games as well, but it's magnified a bit with Faulk since he is pretty much the guy on the Canes.

To me, that's probably the biggest thing he needs to focus on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad