GDT: Carolina @ Brooklyn: The spooky I slept in and can't do what I wanted to edition

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm still not quite sure what to make of this Canes team. They still can't really score goals, but are playing better than I expected, particularly given the loss of Wiz. Skinner is playing a much better game, but you can tell he's frustrated on the offensive side of things. If he can find his scoring touch and Lindholm can start, well, start anything, they'd be a much more dangerous team.

That first 45 minutes was tough to watch, but it got exciting at the end. Hopefully we can see that Jordan Staal on a more regular basis. Lack was much better this game, but his rebound control is still concerning. If Faulk (who made a number of poor plays on the night) hadn't been there to grab that one loose puck, we'd likely be talking about how poorly Lack played.

Last edited:

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Since we are literally one of the worst teams ever in the history of the shootout, if not the worst, this new 3 on 3 rule has the potential to help us more than just about any team in the league.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If they can come out of October 5-6 while playing 8 of 11 on the road, you probably would have signed up for that pre-season. Certainly after Wiz went down. It's not pretty, to say the least, but they are minimizing chances with what has to be the youngest defense in the league.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If they can come out of October 5-6 while playing 8 of 11 on the road, you probably would have signed up for that pre-season. Certainly after Wiz went down. It's not pretty, to say the least, but they are minimizing chances with what has to be the youngest defense in the league.

Certainly better than 0-6-2.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Two young defensemen emerging as legit top 4 guys could mean a pretty fundamental change for this team. Feels like we've got 6 NHL defensemen for the first time in a long time.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't disagree, Peace has looked stronger and more confident than Hanifin. It's just such a small sample size and it's hard to call them legit top 6 guys when they're so inexperienced. Still, if Pesce can maintain this we're on to something on defense.

Combined with Mcginn looking pretty legit for the fourth line at least, we can see a little bit of the future going on. Mcginn should stick, his game is as a role player with some pop. I don't know if we are slowing down his development keeping him up. He would be getting more offensive chances in Charlotte. That's the part of his game we need developed.

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
Two young defensemen emerging as legit top 4 guys could mean a pretty fundamental change for this team. Feels like we've got 6 NHL defensemen for the first time in a long time.

And all of these young bucks around seem to have energized the old guard. Specifically, Hainsey, the old gourd. On the play where Faulk cleared the puck from the crease at the start of the 2nd, instead of scoring an own-goal, Hainsey stick-lifted Bernier. Way, way up in the air. Like a baton-twirling majorette. And for the GWG, Hainsey poke checked Okposo and flat out smoked him in the race to the other side of the rink. At least for the game yesterday, Hainsey seems to have found more energy. I'd like to think it's the bolus of youth to the D. Maybe MDMA, but I dunno.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Skinner is playing a much better game, but you can tell he's frustrated on the offensive side of things. If he can find his scoring touch and Lindholm can start, well, start anything, they'd be a much more dangerous team..

My concern with Skinner is last season. 77 GP 18G 13A and -21. That's awful, especially considering what we know he was once capable of. I know he's healthy but this downtrend is in full swing again this season. Last year he seemed to be getting a lot of scoring chances but the puck rarely hit the back of the net, and he wasn't setting up plays either. I dunno, I don't expect this season to change much scoring wise. I'm thinking his +- will improve based on the first 10 games. I think he has improved his 2 way game, but we know Skins is a score first kind of player, how long till the frustration affects that stat?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Can somebody explain the theory behind the drop pass bringing the puck up the ice on the PP? I can't figure out what it's supposed to be accomplishing.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i think it is to force the defense to react to the initial zone entry then have someone with speed come in and pick the weak part of their setup to guarantee possession instead of just dumping and chasing over and over

whether it is working or not.. eh

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yep, the theory is that the defense will be caught flatfooted and scrambling if they "bite" on the initial puck-carrier.

Of course, that kind of zone entry only works if the defense isn't expecting it and with the amount of game tape all teams have available to them, its not catching a lot of defenses offguard.

Of course, the alternative is dump and chase, and the team doesn't seem built for that kind of entry either

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
it is kind of like a zone read in football, except we don't have anyone confident enough to carry the puck in initially so the other team just covers for the second option every time

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yep, the theory is that the defense will be caught flatfooted and scrambling if they "bite" on the initial puck-carrier.

Of course, that kind of zone entry only works if the defense isn't expecting it and with the amount of game tape all teams have available to them, its not catching a lot of defenses offguard.

Of course, the alternative is dump and chase, and the team doesn't seem built for that kind of entry either

Don't forget about the Flying V...

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
it is kind of like a zone read in football, except we don't have anyone confident enough to carry the puck in initially so the other team just covers for the second option every time

This was pretty obvious last night when Gerbe just skated into the zone completely uncontested because they were waiting for him to drop it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad