GDT: Carolina @ Brooklyn: The spooky I slept in and can't do what I wanted to edition

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
How is the Flying V not offsides when they enter the zone and the lead duck errr forward doesn't have the puck.

They pass the puck to the lead kid right at the blue line, which is why Iceland just obliterated it at the line when they tried it and everyone knew what it was. #analysis

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
i think it is to force the defense to react to the initial zone entry then have someone with speed come in and pick the weak part of their setup to guarantee possession instead of just dumping and chasing over and over

whether it is working or not.. eh

What confuses me, is that the 4 other guys are flat footed at the blueline, so chip and chase is out the window, and the last guy is left trying to play red rover across the blueline with the 8 people pretty much standing and waiting for them.

Maybe this is something really new for a lot of the guys, and that's why it looks so awkward.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
They've been running that drop pass since last year, like the rest of the NHL. Difference is, the rest of the NHL figured out how to counter it, so most changed their approach. Looks like the Canes did too, to an even ******** version.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
There's using a drop pass, and then there's going out of their way to make that drop pass even when it doesn't appear necessary, sometimes even when it seems/is risky.

I don't recall it being used to this extent last year. Maybe my memory is just shoddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad