GDT: Carolina @ Boston - Game 1

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
the only thing I'll say about Ferland is that I would not be comfortable giving him an offer with any term this year. It sucks for him, but I need him to prove that what happened late in the year has just been a product of injury and nothing more. If we can have the Ferland we saw earlier this year going forward, great thats the guy I want, but the Ferland of the second half and playoffs has me worried. Especially after some of the things we heard about him from Calgary after the trade.

And if he's not willing to do a prove it deal here, I think I'd let him go.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
He could have paid the **** attention to the puck and jumped on the boards like most competent linesman do.

WHen you check the whole scene, there lot going on 1 sec before the gif on page 44 starts. the entry, checking offside, players skating fast through and one just coming toward with speed (to take unconscious microsecond attention) etc. and the puck bouches suddenly toward him that moment.

As much as I hate the refs calls in the third period on penalties, this one was just bad luck.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Makes me wonder if Ferland was told to hold up hitting with they way they was calling the game

I thought that for a minute.

Then I thought about the book on him from Calgary fans - when he's on he's amazing, and when he's not on he's pretty worthless.

What we saw last night sure fits into that narrative. I don't care if he's not scoring, but finish a check please. Go into the boards and fight for the puck.

Everybody can have a bad game but if he plays this uninvolved in game 2, you have to scratch him and call up Brown.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I thought that for a minute.

Then I thought about the book on him from Calgary fans - when he's on he's amazing, and when he's not on he's pretty worthless.

What we saw last night sure fits into that narrative. I don't care if he's not scoring, but finish a check please. Go into the boards and fight for the puck.

Everybody can have a bad game but if he plays this uninvolved in game 2, you have to scratch him and call up Brown.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt

Reactions: Tryamw

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
McGinn elbowing the guy in the face, and the other guy getting 2 for an attempted facewash set the tone of stupidity that would last throughout the game.

Regardless of what one thinks of this play, McGinn was smart in that he chose not to retaliate. If he puts a hand up, it's offsetting minors, or more likely, neither side gets a penalty at all and 5 on 5 resumes.

The Canes have been remarkably smart so far this playoffs in how they handle these situations. Once the whistle blows, they stop. No face washes or cheap bull**** after the whistle. TBH this has been a calling card for every good Canes team going back to the 2002 run, to the point where I think it must be part of the employee handbook or whatever.

But last night I thought they lost their cool at certain points and got into extracurriculars after the whistle. Playing against a team like Boston, you can't do that. That's playing their game and we're not going to beat them that way.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I really don't know why you're taking this so personally. No one is saying he's a bad guy. Everyone is saying he's ineffective, and they're right.

It's natural to speculate about why, but the why doesn't really matter. Either he figures it out quickly, or he sits.
If all he said was ineffective then I would’ve agreed with him. He WAS ineffective. I don’t think I’m taking it as personally as you think I am, I’m just pretty consistent about certain angles of it. It’s hard for me to not respond on those, doesn’t mean I feel personally slighted.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Also happened to notice it was by the same guy who already came in here trying to kick the hornets nest.

Looks like they woke up in a fighting mood today

I said this yesterday but it's been taken over by trolls and 12 year olds beating their chests. I'm just going to not bother with the main boards anymore, there's not much of substance there anyway.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Regardless of what one thinks of this play, McGinn was smart in that he chose not to retaliate. If he puts a hand up, it's offsetting minors, or more likely, neither side gets a penalty at all and 5 on 5 resumes.

The Canes have been remarkably smart so far this playoffs in how they handle these situations. Once the whistle blows, they stop. No face washes or cheap bull**** after the whistle. TBH this has been a calling card for every good Canes team going back to the 2002 run, to the point where I think it must be part of the employee handbook or whatever.

But last night I thought they lost their cool at certain points and got into extracurriculars after the whistle. Playing against a team like Boston, you can't do that. That's playing their game and we're not going to beat them that way.

I was impressed by Marchand after the Staal boarding. He immediately came over and peeled his guy off to avoid any extra.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I was impressed by Marchand after the Staal boarding. He immediately came over and peeled his guy off to avoid any extra.

I saw that too. Don't admire him too hard though. He's calculating and is always aware of the situation. If the situation allows him an opportunity to slash somebody's wrist while the refs aren't looking, he'll do that too.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dude, have you been watching McGinn on the powerplay this season? For the vast majority of the time he's been a beast. Probably better if you didn't use a one play sample size for comments like this.

The numbers don't support that. McGinn's PK minutes increased over the season and while they did, the teams PK numbers came down. Not sure where I could look that up but pretty sure he was on the ice for almost all goals allowed on the PK. So we're not talking about a small sample size. Also, watch the two goals the Bruins scored. McGinn is the guilty one on both of them. He covered exactly nothing and nobody. If he's where he should have been then both goals don't happen. And it's not the first time this happened. I wanted to have him taken off that PK for months now. Rod temporarily did it or at least reduced his minutes in the Washington series and the PK improved right away. But somehow, probably also because of Martinook's injury, McGinn is back on unit 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad