GDT: Carolina @ Boston - Game 1

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I am still questioning that Staal penalty a bit. I mean I know it was bad and I know he immediately reacted knowing he ****ed up.... But that looked like a hit from the side and not the back, and I thought that it needed to be from the back to be a boarding. That said, I don't disagree it should be a penalty, it was dangerous, but I'm not sure if it was by the letter of the law.

I haven't gone back and looked at a reply, but I also thought Chara's hit to Foegele right before that was just as bad. So if one is called, the other should be as well. Canes have dealt with horrible officiating all year, this is just yet another hill they'll have to climb.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
woof. looks like it might be patrick brown time. whatever is ailing him right now is preventing him from being effective.

To be fair to him, nobody looked good in Game 1 @ the Caps and Tuuka stole the game last night.

The 3 losses we all on the road early in the series.

Patrick Brown doesn't make the difference in any of those three losses.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I haven't gone back and looked at a reply, but I also thought Chara's hit to Foegele right before that was just as bad. So if one is called, the other should be as well. Canes have dealt with horrible officiating all year, this is just yet another hill they'll have to climb.
In real time it looked like he tried to sneakily slam Foegele’s head into the glass. I was busy watching that and then all of a sudden Gronk forgot how strong he was

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
woof. looks like it might be patrick brown time. whatever is ailing him right now is preventing him from being effective.
I really do feel for Ferland. He's clearly not himself at all, and I really give him props for trying to push through this when he's very clearly not 100%. But he also needs to be honest with himself and the coaches and know his limits and be able to accept that he might not be the best option right now.

And the snarkiness from those around the team over him (Tripp, Brindy) isn't helping. If he's not healthy enough to go, that's ok.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
For a man who is playing for contract next year, he squandered all of that decent first half season play.

Ferland was invisible after his penalty

He's been out a while so there was always gonna be some rust. With Maenalanen and Bishop both out, who do you wanna play over Ferland? Brown? That wouldn't help much.

It seemed wrong to jump on the Micheal Ferland dog pile, but last night was an unacceptable performance. Simply put, if he does the bare minimum defensive work, the first goal doesn't happen. Watch the replay, he is literally standing 170 feet away while the play moves into our end. Kampfer starts his rush, and Ferland is like, "Oh shit, I better get going". It was lazy and disengaged. I can't watch that as a coach and not seriously consider the press box for him. Patrick Brown would have been busting ass to stay engaged with his man.

I watched him closely the rest of the game. He made one or two nice hockey plays, but for the most part the disengagement seemed to continue. Just not sure what to make of that.

...either that or stop playing McGinn for better PK numbers. That would work, too.

Dude, have you been watching McGinn on the powerplay this season? For the vast majority of the time he's been a beast. Probably better if you didn't use a one play sample size for comments like this.

Willy on the postgame interview on FSC just said they were outplayed in 2 of the 3 periods tonight.

While Willy would know, my take (much like Tarheel's) was that we came out fully engaged but very, very sloppy. We seemed to come "off plan" quickly. From about the 6 minute mark to about the 16 minute mark, we played our game and mostly controlled play. We owned the second period, nearly in its entirety. The third period, Boston gave us the push we should have expected and we seemed to be finding our game right when Jordan committed his penalty. Make no mistake about it, you cannot make that play. I'll forgive him for that, because he was playing a very physical, but clean game throughout.

Once the 3rd period penalties started, we essentially folded and Boston went into a solid protective shell.

I'm not one to complain about officiating, especially saying it gave one team or another an advantage. Simply put, last night's officiating was horrible....throughout the entire game. There was no consistency. In the first period they seemed to be calling it tighter than normal, McGinn could have easily gotten a corresponding penalty that led to the powerplay and our first goal. There were several missed calls on both sides. The second period was so well played by Carolina, that even the officials couldn't f*** it up. And Roddy has the right of it when he said, that when you commit penalties, you've got to kill them off. We didn't do that. He was also right when he subtly noted that 6 minutes of powerplay time for one team can kill the momentum of any team. In our case it took our hearts....something that hasn't happened to this team in a long time.

The Kuraly hit on Svechnikov was an unforgivably dangerous play that happened right in front of the officials. That specific type of hit, where the neck/head "whiplashes", is the poster child for brain damaging. Again, that is unforgivable. Then, later in the period when Pastrnak was clearly high-sticked, again, right in front of the referee, no call was made, almost as if they realized that they just couldn't call an obvious penalty because it would look like they were favoring one team over the other. That was the real crime from last night. There was no consistency, so none of the teams knew what was going to get called.

In the end the league has to do something about the general quality of the officiating and the Hurricanes have to realize that this "nobody knows anything" level of game calls is going to be the standard. Stay out of the box and kill the penalties you take....and for God's sake, please bury a few more of your chances.

Lastly, while Petr Mrazek might not have been his sharpest, he wasn't the reason for the loss last night. Start him again on Sunday.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In real time it looked like he tried to sneakily slam Foegele’s head into the glass. I was busy watching that and then all of a sudden Gronk forgot how strong he was
And then Svech proceeded to obliterate Chara into the boards not too long after that.

Which, holy hell that was a big hit for the rook. He's going to be a freight train for us down the line.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I appreciate the insight. I didn't find a replay of the entire play either but my guess is you're on to something with how he was back tracking rather quickly to get back out of the zone. There's obviously some tinfoil hats being worn, and it's hard to dismiss it after the 2 calls against dougie, and the non-call on svech. However, I'd like to think it's not so corrupt that you would have a linesman blatantly keeping a puck in the zone to benefit one team over another.

Hey as long as we are on the topic, I'll offer thoughts on the Hamilton Svech play ( I missed the rest of the game so didn't see the other Hamilton penalty people are talking about.

I say this not to directly defend calls or missed calls, but to provide context or some understanding of what the officials MAY be thinking, because when it is not discussed or analyzed the officiating just seems so random and is obviously extremely frustrating to watch.

I did not like the Hamilton roughing call, but I will come back to that.

On the Svech non-call, what you have to keep in mind is that the camera (one of many - don't even know how many they have) caught that perfectly, and we can see in retrospect how far Boston 52 skated (to I assume set a pick) and the contact that resulted. But it was away from the play, with added emphasis from referees's perspective on possession of the puck due to the Hamilton delayed call. It is very possible that neither referee directly saw the entire play (including how far 52 skated). It could have easily looked like incidental contact in such circumstances. One of the linesman probably had a good view, but it was not enough for them to tell the referee they should call a major.

It should have been a penalty, but like the other play, it happens. There are a helluva lot more camera's watching than official's so you have to live with they can't see everything , and because of that they also won't call everything they see. They have to "manage" the game. A term I know everyone hates, but I will come back to that when I talk about the Hamilton roughing call.

What I can assure you of is that all the officials would be discussing the Svech play and what they did or did not see when they had a break, so they will likely be keeping that in mind-whatever they concluded- as the game goes on.

Back to the Hamilton roughing penalty. I did not like that call at all, partuclarly after the Stall pnealty which I understand is goin to be called most of the time, but I didn't think the contact was that hard and thought the Bruin's player may have have helped it out a bit. As a referee I still make that call, but also know in the back of my mind that the Canes MIGHT (not will) get the benefit of the doubt on a gray area call coming up.

I thought the Hamilton rough was gray area at best. I have a personal theory, based on nothing more than the games I watch (and have watched for 40 years) and my belief and experience with "game management".

I think the league has the officials in a bit of purgatory where they are expected to make certain calls no matter what, but still expected to manage the game. The problem comes if an official gets dinged for not making certain calls that are expected, and is afraid to not make a call when game management might otherwise dictate a non-call. We all see on replay that Hamilton's elbow is nowhere near the Bruin's player face, but in real time it looks like it could have. At that point in the game, with a play that happens probably 15 times a game, I just don't see how that gets called unless he is afraid of getting dinged for missing head contact. In terms of game management perhaps the earlier Krug non-call (which I agreed with) could have also come into play, if they thought they may have missed (or where told between periods that they missed a slew foot earlier (again I thought they just got caught up) he may be more to make the "soft" call.

In my opinion good hockey refereeing is as much art as science. The officials who have made it this far are very good at what they do, know matter how mad we get at them sometimes. Just let the officials manage the game as they see fit, and don't micro manage, we will all be happier with the results in the long run.

I also think the league and "broadcast partners" as they like to say, should do a better job of explaining these things to the viewers, particularly the on-ice communication that occurs between the players and officials. In the old days of the 3-man system the officials all had their personalties and style, but everyone knew what they were going into the game and it a led to more consistency and understanding within the game.

PerhapsI am being overly nostalgic for a bye gone era (and certainly with the info today aon head injuries the games have to be called differently) - but I really do feel like these officials are being micro-managed at times.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The refs may have neutered Ferland. In the 3 full games he's played, he been penalized for checks 3 times, including the nonsense Match Penalty in Game 2 against Washington. He's not getting the calls on these borderline hits.

This isn't the opponent to gamble with. I'd be playing a softer brand of hockey too.

Reactions: raynman and DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We had similar in WW2, a question where the obvious answer immediately made you friend or foe due to phonetics.

I'm still wrapping my head around the rest. I thought our language was difficult.

There's actually a word for this: a shibboleth.

Lollipop, Lollapalooza, and similar L words were used as shibboleths by Americans to identify Japanese soldiers in WW2.

Shibboleth - Wikipedia

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
The refs may have neutered Ferland. In the 3 full games he's played, he been penalized for checks 3 times, including the nonsense Match Penalty in Game 2 against Washington. He's not getting the calls on these borderline hits.

This isn't the opponent to gamble with. I'd be playing a softer brand of hockey too.
If Ferland is playing soft hockey he is not a NHL level player.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Great points @CanesFanBudMan.

My (obnoxiously long) thoughts after some rest:

1. (Not So) Special Teams:

giphy.gif

-PP: 100 percent better....so it's um :: does math:: passable now? I actually think this is something we can at least work with moving forward. :shrug:

-PK:-ehhh, not great, but I still think better than last series (which again, LOW bar). Boston scored on 2 out (counts fingers) FIVE pps last night. We have to be better, but we also have to keep in perspective that when you play against a really great pp, your pk is going to look worse than normal. (Now when we were giving up ppgs to the offensively-inept Islanders that was a whole other issue).

2. Bunch of (Adolescent) Jerks!

tenor.gif

-Aho is Aho again. Praise the Lord! I don't know if he's healing or he's just getting rest after hitting the wall or what, but that's huge for us.

-I made the right choice in adopting Svech as my son. : single tear of joy.gif :

-Foegdaddy96 is in full troll mode. I fully expect another dagger goal(s) from him this series.

-S.A.T. Line: That's gotta be a thing now, no? :laugh:

3. Goaltending -- Why Not Both.Gif

- Mrazek was not in top form/rusty and laid a bit of an egg with the rest of the team in the third; it would be a panic move imo to just kick him to the curb after one game. At least wait to game 3 if it's still iffy to start a goaltending debate. And worse scenario, McStarter is more than capable.

4. Legs Feed the Wolf

527f31d9-39d8-4c83-b5c7-0e13fb9b2631_text.gif

Boston's best shot is trying to run through us like we did the Isles. I dont' see that happening and if we keep grinding it will get better for us as the series goes deeper.

A lot of unforced errors, but generally I liked the energy level and grit for most of the game. Just got to focus our energy and stay steady.

/End Ted Talk.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
There's actually a word for this: a shibboleth.

Lollipop, Lollapalooza, and similar L words were used as shibboleths by Americans to identify Japanese soldiers in WW2.

Shibboleth - Wikipedia
I didn't know. Linguistically Yiddish origin?

(In case anyone was sensitive, this is coming from an Axis country that had field synagogues.)

Shibboleth. Tastes funny and kinda soft and squishy but not bad. We could go with this. Didn't have an equivalent anyway.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

Stall clearly lifted up, way up before the hit. He was trying to stop as the other guy turned. Penalty though, of course... penalty

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
I didn't know. Linguistically Yiddish origin?

(In case anyone was sensitive, this is coming from an Axis country that had field synagogues.)

Shibboleth. Tastes funny and kinda soft and squishy but not bad. We could go with this. Didn't have an equivalent anyway.

It's OG Old Testament stuff (Book of Judges). It was term that was hard for some to pronounce and so it was used to distinguish between foe and friend. (I'm a bit of a bible nerd lol).

We obviously have several of these on this team (from Svechnikov to mcelhinney and so forth).

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If Ferland is playing soft hockey he is not a NHL level player.

Nonsense. He might be more streaky than your average Middle 6 forward, but the skill level is there.

It's weird that a guy that played on the 4th line and registered 3 shots, 2 hits and an assist is being singled out here. Coming from someone that wasn't very excited by the idea of extending him at the peak of his performance this season, the Ferland stuff is getting over the top.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Stall clearly lifted up, way up before the hit. He was trying to stop as the other guy turned. Penalty though, of course... penalty

My issue with the refs---actually I have about a billion issues with the refs, but I digress--is not often the penalties they call against us in a vacuum (although some are ridiculous) it's that there is literally no rhyme or reason to when they will call something or not. It's inscrutable. I wouldn't be shocked if bigger market teams on average get better calls, but honestly I think the refs have been screwing over almost everyone this postseason.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I woke up at 4:30 this morning still in a rage. I've been pissed off all day.

Not sure why anyone is saying they folded in the 3rd. They got absolutely f***ed by officiating, and once the 3rd penalty was over, it took a few minutes but they found their game again. From about the 11 minute mark to the ENG, they carried play and had a handful of decent chances.

I keep seeing the Pasta high stick noncall brought up... didn't he basically tackle Aho? I would never expect that to be called, so I'm actually shocked they didn't. f***ing clowns.

On Ferland... pretty disappointed like most, since I thought he'd come out like a f***ing maniac, but maybe he was easing himself in. That entire 4th line was invisible outside of the goal. The only reason I noticed Martinook was because of that geriatric f*** calling him Martinuke the few times he was on the ice. I also don't like Ferland on the 4th. With the Checkers out there, they don't try to do too much. Hit everything in sight, cycle and eat minutes. Ferland tries to make plays and thats not what that 4th line should be doing.

f*** Boston. f***. Whatever, we're f***ing better and will win in 7.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I didn’t get a chance to go back and look but did the Canes get possession of the puck BEFORE the kuraly hit on Svech? Could be why there was no penalty?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It's OG Old Testament stuff (Book of Judges). It was term that was hard for some to pronounce and so it was used to distinguish between foe and friend. (I'm a bit of a bible nerd lol).

We obviously have several of these on this team (from Svechnikov to mcelhinney and so forth).
Tell you a secret, I was auxiliary staff in the latest local translation of the Bible. First time not through Latin, Greek, German, but directly from Aramean etc. where possible. It was an adventure for everyone. The wildest summer job I ever had. Arguments between the consortium of publishing companies and the national (but Lutheran) Church. Count me in as a bible nerd, but I'm 95% progressive too, and that's not a paradox. Jebus was alright. Stick to what he said, and you can prune a whole lot of crap out of it.

Well I'm not really religious anyway. (Don't ask me midsummer.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->