GDT: Carolina @ Boston - Game 1

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
@NotOpie .

Specifically on the high stick it was a valid non call and if anything should have been a Canes PP. Pasta doesn't trip our player like that there's no way his stick is anywhere near position to clip him.

My point was about the inconsistency of the entire game. Like it or not, tackle or not, that's a high stick call 99 times out of 100. The other 1 time is because the ref is looking at some hot girl/boy in the stands. In the end it didn't matter because the damage was done.

Nonsense. He might be more streaky than your average Middle 6 forward, but the skill level is there.

Nobody is "shitting" on Ferland. He's getting an appropriate level of analysis, accurate mind you, given his uninspired play. This is the playoffs....you don't ease into the playoffs, either you play balls to the wall or you sit until you can. Again, that first goal is 90% on him. His hits were unnoticeable and none of his shots were close to dangerous. He made a couple of nice passes and one defensive play that I can remember. He seemed a step slow and generally disengaged. Any grief he's getting today is entirely deserved. I'll stop now because I don't like piling on a guy, especially a guy I liked and hoped for more from.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Nonsense. He might be more streaky than your average Middle 6 forward, but the skill level is there.

It's weird that a guy that played on the 4th line and registered 3 shots, 2 hits and an assist is being singled out here. Coming from someone that wasn't very excited by the idea of extending him at the peak of his performance this season, the Ferland stuff is getting over the top.
To clarify - they way he played last night was not deserving of a roster spot above Patrick Brown who busts his ass every second he is on the ice and plays solid defensive hockey.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I am still questioning that Staal penalty a bit. I mean I know it was bad and I know he immediately reacted knowing he ****ed up.... But that looked like a hit from the side and not the back, and I thought that it needed to be from the back to be a boarding. That said, I don't disagree it should be a penalty, it was dangerous, but I'm not sure if it was by the letter of the law.

Right next to him Chara elbowed Foegele and Staal got cross checked in the face after his hit. Coulda been a Canes 4v3.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

It's weird that a guy that played on the 4th line and registered 3 shots, 2 hits and an assist is being singled out here. Coming from someone that wasn't very excited by the idea of extending him at the peak of his performance this season, the Ferland stuff is getting over the top.

His only noticeable play last night was being on the wrong side of the red line when his guy scored the first goal.

The NBC crew called him a passenger last night, so it's not just a handful of cranky hf26ers.

I dunno. I don't get it. He had a good couple of months, and since then he's been either injured or invisible or some combination, and the team has been inarguably successful in the playoffs without him.

I know that a lot of people want Ferland to be that guy he was earlier in the year. But he's not, and he hasn't been for months, and the why doesn't matter. Bottom line: right now he is not helping this team win.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The biggest disappointment to me with Ferland was his failure to get back on Kampfer's goal (granted it started with Faulk turning it over but his complete lack of hustle to get back was definitely another factor in leading to the goal and if someone like Skinner did that he would be rightly criticized for it) and the multiple times I saw him pull up when the opportunity to finish a check was there. I want to be believe it's because he's still not healthy rather than him just not giving a shit, but either way he's not a net positive in the lineup right now.

And I say this as someone who could have probably been considered a Ferland apologist most of this season.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I did not see the full play, and can't find a replay that shows it, so I will just offer a thought on how that can happen.

If the play prior was an entry into the zone the linesman will be inside the line (so as to not prevent the puck from getting in), depending on the play the liney will often have to slide down several feet to stay out of the play and then find the right time to get back to the proper position, in the mean time the back linesman will cover the blue line for him. It sucks but it happens.

Again, I did not see the play so I have no idea if that is what occurred here or not, but the only other reason the linesman would be in that area is if it was after a and end-zone face-off and he was trying to get back, but that would be more obvious to anyone watching.

Better luck in Game 2 you bunch of jerks ; )
I just wanted to say I hate posts like these. There's nothing to rip apart, it's pure hockey. And there's still days until the next game.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Tell you a secret, I was auxiliary staff in the latest local translation of the Bible. First time not through Latin, Greek, German, but directly from Aramean etc. where possible. It was an adventure for everyone. The wildest summer job I ever had. Arguments between the consortium of publishing companies and the national (but Lutheran) Church. Count me in as a bible nerd, but I'm 95% progressive too, and that's not a paradox. Jebus was alright. Stick to what he said, and you can prune a whole lot of crap out of it.

Well I'm not really religious anyway. (Don't ask me midsummer.)

I'm a "liberal" Christian myself. I love to read and study the bible, but I don't interpret it in a traditional/conservative way. Anyway, I'll drop this topic now before we get even more controversial lol.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The biggest disappointment to me with Ferland was his failure to get back on Kampfer's goal (granted it started with Faulk turning it over but his complete lack of hustle to get back was definitely another factor in leading to the goal and if someone like Skinner did that he would be rightly criticized for it) and the multiple times I saw him pull up when the opportunity to finish a check was there. I want to be believe it's because he's still not healthy rather than him just not giving a ****, but either way he's not a net positive in the lineup right now.

And I say this as someone who could have probably been considered a Ferland apologist most of this season.

Makes me wonder if Ferland was told to hold up hitting with they way they was calling the game

Reactions: Tryamw

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I didn’t get a chance to go back and look but did the Canes get possession of the puck BEFORE the kuraly hit on Svech? Could be why there was no penalty?

My memory of watching it live was that the play was whistled down after the hit, but I could be wrong.

You bring up a good point, but in that situation the referee has the option of calling a minor for roughing (rather than interference ).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The biggest disappointment to me with Ferland was his failure to get back on Kampfer's goal (granted it started with Faulk turning it over but his complete lack of hustle to get back was definitely another factor in leading to the goal and if someone like Skinner did that he would be rightly criticized for it) and the multiple times I saw him pull up when the opportunity to finish a check was there. I want to be believe it's because he's still not healthy rather than him just not giving a ****, but either way he's not a net positive in the lineup right now.

I’m sure it’s that he just doesn’t give a shit. In the NHL conference finals he’s never been in before. That he’s been dreaming about since he was five. After missing not only missing last round but being hurt much of the season and clearly still now fighting just to get clearance to play in a game they give guys shots just to get out there on a normal basis.

Probably was busy playing on his phone between shifts texting his agent and working next year’s numbers in his calculator.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I didn’t get a chance to go back and look but did the Canes get possession of the puck BEFORE the kuraly hit on Svech? Could be why there was no penalty?
Well that shouldn't really matter anyway. Hit from behind whether before the play or after is irrelevant.

And I do agree Aho was lucky not to get a high-sticking penalty, but Pasta absolutely took him out and didn't get called so it's a wash. Honestly I hate when high-sticks get called because a player got taken down (usually a trip) and the stick manages to clip the player (usually leaning over anyway)...I get that it's to prevent the "accidentally on purpose" stuff, but it's honestly stupid to expect a guy to "control his stick" while trying to brace for a fall.

Staal was 100% a penalty, can't argue, but how they saw that and missed Chara vice gripping and smashing Foegele's head into the glass is beyond me. He looked like he was getting ready to pull off a DDT at a hockey game.

With the "game management" when we were up 2-1, the fact that there was negative "game management" after they took the lead 3-2 is baffling (Boston knew they weren't getting called and started playing like it).

I thought it was a pretty even game overall, both teams had their good and bad moments for sure. And as mad as I am about the piss-poor officiating (even today), we let it kill our momentum and never quite got our game back. Even the chances we did have we didn't seem fully engaged. I also noticed we were playing a bit more timid because you could tell we were afraid of touching Boston players too hard and getting a penalty.

It's a tough loss after being up 2-1 in the game and really controlling them (after a slow start) until the bad penalty calls shook us off our game. Still, only 1 game, we stuck with them mostly, no reason we can't maybe take game 2, then come home and own them!

And I can't really fault Mrazek...the goals they got, especially the 2 on the PP, they were going to be tough saves for anyone, and he made several exceptional saves. Unfortunately, Rask is playing like a mad-man right now and really in a groove.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's a tough loss after being up 2-1 in the game and really controlling them (after a slow start) until the bad penalty calls shook us off our game.

In the end, ^this^ is what was our downfall. For a team that built a season largely grounded in resilience, letting the bad penalties take their toll and getting off our game because of it cannot happen going forward.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'm a "liberal" Christian myself. I love to read and study the bible, but I don't interpret it in a traditional/conservative way. Anyway, I'll drop this topic now before we get even more controversial lol.
We don't have a hope of getting controversial, look at the Maniceans lol. Like a Norwegian ultra-conservative friend said to me, you find good things there in that book.

I'd love to have your view of how lib or prog or consie my silly little country is. We only get the stats, always flattering. Not to mention the Chinese.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’m sure it’s that he just doesn’t give a ****. In the NHL conference finals he’s never been in before. That he’s been dreaming about since he was five. After missing not only missing last round but being hurt much of the season and clearly still now fighting just to get clearance to play in a game they give guys shots just to get out there on a normal basis.

Probably was busy playing on his phone between shifts texting his agent and working next year’s numbers in his calculator.

I really don't know why you're taking this so personally. No one is saying he's a bad guy. Everyone is saying he's ineffective, and they're right.

It's natural to speculate about why, but the why doesn't really matter. Either he figures it out quickly, or he sits.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
(granted it started with Faulk turning it over but his complete lack of hustle to get back was definitely another factor in leading to the goal and if someone like Skinner did that he would be rightly criticized for it)

I've finally ironed out my view on Faulk. He's like a highly touted prospect that hasn't adjusted to the speed of the NHL, subject to mistakes that you'd typically say "oh he's just a rookie, he'll figure it out". He overestimates his ability to hold the puck and to get back if he gets beat and it happens way too often for a guy that's been doing this for as long as he has.

This isn't directed at his play or anything last night, just a general observation. I think he takes way too much criticism, but the hot potato shit he does out there makes me nervous.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I woke up at 4:30 this morning still in a rage. I've been pissed off all day.

Not sure why anyone is saying they folded in the 3rd. They got absolutely ****ed by officiating, and once the 3rd penalty was over, it took a few minutes but they found their game again. From about the 11 minute mark to the ENG, they carried play and had a handful of decent chances.

I keep seeing the Pasta high stick noncall brought up... didn't he basically tackle Aho? I would never expect that to be called, so I'm actually shocked they didn't. ****ing clowns.

On Ferland... pretty disappointed like most, since I thought he'd come out like a ****ing maniac, but maybe he was easing himself in. That entire 4th line was invisible outside of the goal. The only reason I noticed Martinook was because of that geriatric **** calling him Martinuke the few times he was on the ice. I also don't like Ferland on the 4th. With the Checkers out there, they don't try to do too much. Hit everything in sight, cycle and eat minutes. Ferland tries to make plays and thats not what that 4th line should be doing.

**** Boston. ****. Whatever, we're ****ing better and will win in 7.
I would prefer in 6, with Don in the building, and a reintroduction of the storm surge just to piss him off.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011

His assist consisted of him chipping the puck at the blueline past a Bruins defenseman which was picked up by Martinook at centre ice.

An NHL player gets an assist maybe once every hundred times he does that.

That goal was all McKegg.

Last edited:

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I did not see the full play, and can't find a replay that shows it, so I will just offer a thought on how that can happen.

If the play prior was an entry into the zone the linesman will be inside the line (so as to not prevent the puck from getting in), depending on the play the liney will often have to slide down several feet to stay out of the play and then find the right time to get back to the proper position, in the mean time the back linesman will cover the blue line for him. It sucks but it happens.

I checked it and it was exactly right after entry into zone and giving space for bruins player to get inside so at least here I can't really blame refs.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad