GDT: carnyi

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This was actually more of an example of NHL rules making no sense. If the puck had went into the net it's a high stick and the goal gets waived off, but because it didn't it's no high stick. Why should there be two different high stick standards because if you go to a single standard things like this wouldn't happen. In reality the call didn't change the outcome because a goal was definitely coming, if it had been waived off it just delays the inevitable.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
This was actually more of an example of NHL rules making no sense. If the puck had went into the net it's a high stick and the goal gets waived off, but because it didn't it's no high stick. Why should there be two different high stick standards because if you go to a single standard things like this wouldn't happen. In reality the call didn't change the outcome because a goal was definitely coming, if it had been waived off it just delays the inevitable.
Because high sticks stopping play happen anywhere on the ice, and you can't use the crossbar for reference. Closer to the net where deflection plays happen, the crossbar is a better reference since it's a fixed point and you're trying to protect the head of an often crouching goalie.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Because high sticks stopping play happen anywhere on the ice, and you can't use the crossbar for reference. Closer to the net where deflection plays happen, the crossbar is a better reference since it's a fixed point and you're trying to protect the head of an often crouching goalie.

Was going to give a long winded explanation but this is more succinct and gets to the point better than mine would’ve. So yeah, this.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I have a theory that I'm pretty sure is wrong, but I'm gonna float it anyway.

We all know that if a player plays the puck with a stick above the shoulders *and his team plays the puck next* the play gets blown dead. It's not an automatic whistle. I thought for a second that maybe an Islander touched the puck, nullifying the high stick, but that didn't happen.

But ... the puck did hit the bar.

Is there *any* chance that it *was* a high stick, but the puck hitting the bar nullified a whistle?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
trochekgoal.png

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
What is shoulder level though? If your laying on your back and knock the puck out of the air with your stick is that a high stick?

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Those goals go by whatever is called on the ice because the replays are almost impossible to use. Looked like a high stick to me but I don’t care, it’s gone against us too.

Classic moment with Barzal being the goat after diving like that a minute before.

We didn’t deserve two clean points after that third period, we got outplayed but we found a way to win. Moving on.

Great game by Williams. If you want him to score consistently you can’t put him with Staal, but that line has played well the last couple of games.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Nice win. Absolutely loved keep away in OT. Don't know that I've ever fist pumped a penalty like the late high stick. I don't think Barzal dove, but he went down easy, so I would have just preferred no call on either side.

It still wasn't the prettiest game, but more effort and attention to detail like that, with solid goaltending, we can win enough games down the stretch to keep it interesting.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Well that was nerve wracking and not fun to watch. Glad to have a win- but before Barzal crapped in his own pants we were headed for annihilation.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad